Trilobites In New York State

Joe90

Hello, I`m new to the forum and hope to elicit help if possible from any trilobite fanatics in or around the State of N.Y. I live in England and with my wife and a couple of friends we are planning a holiday trip to the north eastern states in June. If it could be planned, I would like to meet up with some kind collector and do a day or two digging for fossils.(Wife and friends would look elsewhere for their kicks on those days).If anyone might be interested in meeting with me then we have plenty of time to home in on some arrangements via email etc..Hope to hear from you soon, will reply to all mails, thanks, Mike.

Welcome Mike! I'm very new myself and live in NY. While I'm still too novice to offer up any first-hand experienced suggestions, I would certainly be interested in joining in on any outings, if they come to pass. Keep me posted and good luck.

Gary

Hey Joe Mike, Greetings and Welcome to TFF from Oregon! :)

Take a look at this thread discussing New York fossils. LINK

Edited by piranha

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

If you want to 99% guarantee getting some complete and well preserved trilobites then consider the Penn Dixie Quarry and 18 Mile Creek in far western NY as your best bets. There are trilobites to be found in many of the other sites mentioned as well but you may only get pieces. In New York the bugs get better as you go west. These sites are just south of Niagara Falls so the family could be visiting that scenic wonder while you are hunting bugs.

The second best area would be the Finger Lakes area of central New York. You could visit the Museum of the Earth at the Paleontological Research Institute. It is very close to Ithaca, NY. That is a very beautiful area with some good wineries. PRI runs field trips as well and they will take you to places to find trilobites.

The eastern collecting sites can be great for other types of fossils but the trilobites are fewer and farther between. BUT you would be closer to NYC, the Hudson River Valley and the Catskill Mountains which all offer much more for the general tourists.

FYI the majority of the NE (New England) states like Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine, etc. are not very fossiliferous. But they are pretty.

I agree with Erich (erose). Best bets of finding good trilos would be Penn Dixie Quarry or 18 Mile creek.

I will be in that area around the 4th of July, and I know that Carmine (xonenine) is in that area as well.

Perhaps we could get some people together to meet and hunt at the same time!

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png    VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015       MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg        IPFOTM -- MAY - 2024   IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png

_________________________________________________________________________________
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Welcome Joe.

No doubt I'll be out at Penn-Dixie or at Smokes creek alot, and Penn Dixie has the nicest staff also, only too ready to guide visitors and help w the strata and species.

Looking forward to some great collecting, Carmine.:)

"Your serpent of Egypt is bred now of your mud by the operation of your sun; so is your crocodile." Lepidus

Hi -

I see that Penn Dixie will be open during the week of Spring break from 4/16-23. My wife and I are definitely planning a trip out that way for a couple of days and would love to meet up with anyone here. As a true newbie to this, I need all the help I can get.

Thanks, Gary

The 16th and 17th would be great. I'll email or PM you w further details Gary, I would really enjoy being there right at the opening to see what has weathered out over the winter! Carmine.

Hope you can make it too Mike, and anyone else who's up for it.

"Your serpent of Egypt is bred now of your mud by the operation of your sun; so is your crocodile." Lepidus

Welcome Mike! I'm very new myself and live in NY. While I'm still too novice to offer up any first-hand experienced suggestions, I would certainly be interested in joining in on any outings, if they come to pass. Keep me posted and good luck.

Gary

Hi Gary, so far so good with the proposal for a NY State dig in June, there are a couple of good folks willing to do the honours. I will see if it can be pulled together and let you know as things progress. Best wishes for now, MIke,.

Thanks for the link Piranha, it`s all going into the pot and we`ll see if we can make a stew. Best regards, Mike.

If you want to 99% guarantee getting some complete and well preserved trilobites then consider the Penn Dixie Quarry and 18 Mile Creek in far western NY as your best bets. There are trilobites to be found in many of the other sites mentioned as well but you may only get pieces. In New York the bugs get better as you go west. These sites are just south of Niagara Falls so the family could be visiting that scenic wonder while you are hunting bugs.

The second best area would be the Finger Lakes area of central New York. You could visit the Museum of the Earth at the Paleontological Research Institute. It is very close to Ithaca, NY. That is a very beautiful area with some good wineries. PRI runs field trips as well and they will take you to places to find trilobites.

The eastern collecting sites can be great for other types of fossils but the trilobites are fewer and farther between. BUT you would be closer to NYC, the Hudson River Valley and the Catskill Mountains which all offer much more for the general tourists.

FYI the majority of the NE (New England) states like Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine, etc. are not very fossiliferous. But they are pretty.

Thanks for all this information, looking forward to meeting up if thats possible, we are working at it this end, hope we can do the dig, Mike.

I agree with Erich (erose). Best bets of finding good trilos would be Penn Dixie Quarry or 18 Mile creek.

I will be in that area around the 4th of July, and I know that Carmine (xonenine) is in that area as well.

Perhaps we could get some people together to meet and hunt at the same time!

Regards,

Hello Fossildude, nice to hear from you and I`ve taken on board your advice, hope the visit comes off. I look forward to sending in some pics of UK trilobites soon and will hopefully be able to keep in touch , best regards, Mike.

I might be able to join the trip in June or July. Keep me posted when you're going, I know more about the Eastern part of the state and have a couple of places that would garantee most of a trilobite.

The 16th and 17th would be great. I'll email or PM you w further details Gary, I would really enjoy being there right at the opening to see what has weathered out over the winter! Carmine.

Hope you can make it too Mike, and anyone else who's up for it.

Hello Carmine, and heres our update re the proposed visit in June---I was outvoted!!! Looks like the concensus want to keep to the east coast so the plan now is to visit between Princeton and Maine-ish. Soooo, a visit to Penn Dixie and Murder Creek and all those other great sounding places will have to be another trip.I have mailed Gary too as he was interested in the visit so he will no doubt be in touch with you again soon. Sorry we can`t do it this time but lets keep in touch, we can exchange info and perhaps trilobites too and meet up when we can.This is a great international forum isn`t it, I`ve been on other forums for a while but this one really crosses all the barriers.I like it. All for now, very best wishes from a cold England, Mike.

We will be looking forward to the Spring Break Weekend, April 16th-17th, and hope any and all make it out this way eventually, Carmine.

Penn Dixie Home Page Bump

if I'm not mistaken, I saw a very nice specimen in their gallery attributed to our own Member TOM BUCKLEY.:thumbsu: