Point-a Dam, Al

Shuko

Hey all. I finally finished creating my album for all my noteworthy fossil finds at Point-A dam. You can view the photos at this link:

http://www.shuko-works.com/Fossils/PointADam08/index.html

I had a lot of fun out there. :) I got sunburnt on my calves and shins, and I nearly collapsed from the heat, but I had a blast collecting all these teeth and other odds and ends! We saw lots of wildlife out there too, but most of it stayed pretty far away. I did feel something brush against my leg at one point, and I suspect it was a large fish. Anyway, I hope you enjoy looking at these photos. If you'd like a link to a shot with better resolution, just let me know which one, and I'll post the link. ;)

Great album!

Is the "sawtooth" maybe a stingray barb?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Great album!

Is the "sawtooth" maybe a stingray barb?

Ah, good call. I'll bet that's what it is. In fact, I'm sure that's it. Del told me that out there, and I just forgot. :P

Great finds! I am not the very familiar with fossils from that formation but here are a few thoughts. The "sawtooth" is a stingray barb as Auspex said. The Micro view of unknown tooth (1) appears to be a Hammerhead Shark. The unknown fish tooth could be Enchodus and the unknown micro vert (2) looks to be fish of some type.

In the other post, you said the site was eocene. If that's the case, it's not a Hammerhead (they hadn't been invented yet :D )

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

Guest N.AL.hunter

Shuko, great pics. The tooth is not Mosasaur, most likely small tip of crock or some sort of fish. Since that one came from Eocene, mosasaurs were extinct by then.

Your unknown micro 3 & 3b looks like some kind of angel shark, Squatina sp. It looks like the tooth erupts from the root at about a 90 degree angle.

Carpe Diem, Carpe Somnium