Table-0-crab Balls !

RJB

I brought home a big box of crab concretions yesterday and went through them today. I did find my little tiny Paleopinnixa's, and I do have one that seems to have both claws and some legs which is just cooler than snarge, but its soooooooo dang small, Im not sure if I can prep it? I also ran into this very nice Orbitoplax weaveri from Oregon. You can see that parts of the crab is on the top piece of rock, but Ive aready got it glued back on and will hopefully get it prepped out soon? But it certainly made my day!!! WooooooHoooooooo!!!!!!

Oh, for all you crab guys, isnt that little card table a super good looking table now!!!

RB

post-171-1212262419_thumb.jpg

post-171-1212262473_thumb.jpg

Very nice fossils!

Tha tighin fodham, fodham, fodham!

thanks guys. All those crabs you see on that little table has several different species of crabs, and I think most are Eocene? They all come from different locals. The Orbitoplax comes from southern Oregon and im not realy sure what formation its from? Im also working on a Pulalius from Washington that looks promising too, Ive got a part of it glued right now, but I have to use my saw to cut two more little pieces out of the top piece and get those glued back on also. It wont be perfect, but it will be nice once its done?

RB

RE: Card Table;

"Texas Prep 'em, Crabs or Better to Open"

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

All I have to do now is try and find some 'Crab Freaks' who wants this stuff. And the thing is, I have about 4 or 5 more boxes of these crabs!! I simply have too much stuff! And even though in my mind these are all what I would call B-Grade crabs, my yougest son and my best buddy have always said, "Ron, your B-Grade fossils are better than most peoples A-Grade stuff"!!! The thing is, all this stuff needs to be prepped by folks that have the tools to prep them. I simply dont have the time. Ive got too much stuff to prep, and in about 3 weeks or so, I will be going on yet another fossil hunting trip to get even more stuff!! WoooooooHooooooo!!! Life is good!!!

Oh, and for the crab lovers out there, I will be getting some of those 'SUPER HARD TO GET' Tumidocarcinus gigantius crabs from New Zealand at the end of this year! Now thats a doulbe WooooWooooo HooooooHoooooo! Ha! Jesus im funny!!! Here are 3 that I have prepped with 4 more to go, but I will be getting a few more soon!!!

RB

post-171-1212279545_thumb.jpg

post-171-1212279578_thumb.jpg

post-171-1212279624_thumb.jpg

Crabs are cool. Its hard to believe they don't have as large a following as trilobites.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Crabs are cool. Its hard to believe they don't have as large a following as trilobites.

Hey Dan. I used to think that too, but realize now that the trilos are sooooooo much older. and that must be one reason why so any folks are 'into' them, plus, its a heck of alot easier to find a complete trilo than a complete crab. Ive been doing the crabs for about 8 years now, and still dont have a perfect 10 legger!!! Dang!!!

Guest N.AL.hunter

RJB,

As I have said in past postings... you find some of the most amazing fossils of anyone I know. Why is it that in all the literature and other crustacean postings online, all I ever see/read are about European specimens? The ones you are finding are terrific.

RJB,

As I have said in past postings... you find some of the most amazing fossils of anyone I know. Why is it that in all the literature and other crustacean postings online, all I ever see/read are about European specimens? The ones you are finding are terrific.

RB, keep aside someones of these for me... in reserve of the summer 10 legs I will find for you :P

NAL, I'm not sure of the sense of your comment(I'm overseas), but almost all of the crabs I have posted and figured in this forum are from the US.

:)

Guest solius symbiosus
... its a heck of alot easier to find a complete trilo than a complete crab.

Other than a few "death beds", or the Cambrian, whole trilobites are very rare. It has been my experience hunting in Ky, and In(lower Paleozoic), that I find one nearly complete specimen for every few hundred hours in the field.

Ok I'm about to show how little I know about fossil crabs!

How do the balls form and how do you know there is a crab in them? And most important where do I find some of those? I think they look so cool!!!

Ok I'm about to show how little I know about fossil crabs!

How do the balls form and how do you know there is a crab in them? And most important where do I find some of those? I think they look so cool!!!

Hey Mr obsessed. First you have to be hunting in a formation that has crab concretions. Then you have to find them, or like I do, dig till you hurt. And even then, you can find 20 concretions and maybe not a single one will have a crab in it! I find lots of what I call BFN's, thats short for Big Fat Nothings! But in some areas you have a better chance at crabs being inside than others. Also, Ive never heard of crab concs in your neck of the woods. The west coast, especialy the states of oregon and washington has lots of crab concs if you know where to go. and yes, i agree with you, They are soooooooooo COOL!!!!!

Ron

RB, keep aside someones of these for me... in reserve of the summer 10 legs I will find for you :P

NAL, I'm not sure of the sense of your comment(I'm overseas), but almost all of the crabs I have posted and figured in this forum are from the US.

:)

Hey MB. I will get a box and start puting in what I call "Crab concs for the GREAT MB!!!"

RB