Baby Meg Question

WSBob

How do you tell a baby meg tooth from other small teeth?

Thanks - Bob

I have been curious and others have commented. There are a couple of questions: Is the tooth a meg? Is a small meg a "baby tooth" or merely a small tooth of a larger shark? What constitutes "baby"? a shark under 10 feet?

So, 1) must have serrations 2) do serrations decrease in size or stay constant going to the tip 3) must have a bourlette, 4) should have a robust root.

Here are some of my small meg candidates - may not be baby teeth

On the 2nd pic , it is a Meg sandwiched between a GW and a Bull.

post-2220-0-00631000-1296395710_thumb.jpg

post-2220-0-48689500-1296395842_thumb.jpg

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

i think the short answer is that you find a good number of either real specimens or photos of verified teeth of the type you're wondering about, and study them until you've got the "eye" for them and can just tell them when you see them. then you get some specimens or photos of similar-looking teeth of other species and start studying those too, trying to memorize the subtle differences.

you can "cheat" a bit by just having some saved good reference photos and bringing home stuff you find and comparing the found stuff to the photos. that would save some memorizing.

this is a horrible analogy, but to me, baby megs have a robustness and breadth about the root that seems out-of-sync with the blade and hints of size to come, almost like a small dog with huge feet - you just know it ain't gonna grow up to be a schnauzer.

whut?

This is why this is such a great site - great people willing to share.

Thank you so very much for the info.

Bob

i left out that i almost always try to look up or figure out what age the area i'm searching is and what all has been found there by others. doing a bit of studying on the geology and paleontology of a locality can prevent a lot of errors. like, if i find a baby meg at a locality that was marine eocene but then was just a land site after the eocene, then i would figure the tooth either fell out of somebody's pocket, or that i'm delusional

yet again...

fortunately for me i don't keep score...

I agree that saving and studying photos is probably the best way to learn. Here's a recent little meg that could have been thrown in the big bull shark tooth pile if someone didn't know better.

post-1553-0-55369600-1296419703_thumb.jppost-1553-0-85829600-1296419727_thumb.jppost-1553-0-44069600-1296419678_thumb.jp

youtube-logo-png-46031.png

I agree with both of the last 2 posts:

Tracer,

Not only the eocene, miocene, pliocene distinctions, but also local variations that exist currently. There are spots in the river, where I have found 98% of my makos, 90% of my Megs, 80% of my hemis. There is a spot where 95% of the teeth I find are Bull/Dusky. Nothing is certain, but IF I find a tooth that might be a small meg, it requires more proof and clarity if found where Bull teeth are prevalent.

Cris, the hardest distinction I find is between equal small size (1+ inch) Meg and Bull teeth.. Both have bourlettes and serrations.. It may be the robustness of the root or the lack of the V on the crown. It takes a trained eye

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Something else to take into account, shark's teeth decrease in size the further back they are in the jaw. A small extreme posterior tooth, such as the one Shellseeker posted, likely came from a big shark.

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

Something else to take into account, shark's teeth decrease in size the further back they are in the jaw. A small extreme posterior tooth, such as the one Shellseeker posted, likely came from a big shark.

depends on which direction they're swimmin...

In Carcharhinus teeth such as this Silky shark tooth and bull shark teeth, there is a groove containing the foramin (nutrient hole) running down the middle of the root on the lingual (rounded) side

http://www.elasmo.com/genera/pics/neogene/ds1300x03-web.jpg

In Carcharocles (megs) and other lamniformes (such as the great white), there are one or more foramen (holes) in the root but no groove.

http://www.elasmo.com/heim/leecreek/pics/c_meg-gp.jpg

http://www.elasmo.com/genera/pics/extant/ds1125-web.jpg

An associated set of juvenile (half-grown) megalodons showing what each tooth position looks like.

http://www.elasmo.com/genera/pics/neogene/ds1001-web.jpg

In Carcharhinus teeth such as this Silky shark tooth and bull shark teeth, there is a groove containing the foramin (nutrient hole) running down the middle of the root on the lingual (rounded) side

http://www.elasmo.com/genera/pics/neogene/ds1300x03-web.jpg

Thanks Paleoc,

I came back and copied this post because it will help me to identify Megs, and also because I found what I believe to be a Bull Shark tooth, even though it has serrations, a bourlette, a robust root, no discernible foramin grove, and was found where there are very few bulls, and many meg fragments.

I am always suspicious when I see that telltale "v" on one side of the crown.

post-2220-0-47240300-1296684838_thumb.jpg

post-2220-0-61639600-1296684870_thumb.jpg

Thanks Paleoc,

I came back and copied this post because it will help me to identify Megs, and also because I found what I believe to be a Bull Shark tooth, even though it has serrations, a bourlette, a robust root, no discernible foramin grove, and was found where there are very few bulls, and many meg fragments.

I am always suspicious when I see that telltale "v" on one side of the crown.

Tiger shark (mayumbensis from the look of it). Note the depression/dent for the foramin groove which would be more prominent if it wasn't worn.