Waldron Shale Site

ohiofossilhunter

Does anyone know what the "Waldron shale site" is like? Is it a Quarry? I'm signed up for a trip thats heading there, so I was wondering what kind of tools and stuff I would need.

Thanks in advance,Mark

If you are headed for SE Indiana it is probably a quarry. Although I have never been there I have seen stuff that appeared to be both surface collected, loose specimens, and fossils in limestone matrix. But always be prepared. Unless I am having to manage weight I travel with all my tools in the trunk of my car and will repack my ruck sack as needed for each locality. So having rock pick, crack hammer, chisels, pry bar, etc with you would not be out of hand. When you get there you might find all you need is the rock pick and a lot of packing material. Over the years the two tools that have sometimes not been with me and were desperately needed are the two extremes: fine tweezers for a tiny shattered fossil or the large steel pry bar for getting that awesome ammonite or slab. Not to mention you might take what you need for just one spot but half way home come across a road cut where you need the other stuff. If you do a search for collecting tools on the forum you will find lots and lots of advice.

When I belonged to the Cleveland Fossil Club/North Coast Fossil Club, we used to go to the St. Paul quarry south of Indianapolis. It was massive quarry that mined the Waldron Shale. Lots of cool stuff such as trilobites, crinoid calyxs, and lots of Brachs. There were a couple of other quarries we went to along the Indiana/Kentucky border that mined mostly Devonian limestone but would also get down into the Silurian shale.

I remember not needing equipment too much because there was so many fossils on broken rock faces, but being quarries you would want the typical equipment hammers and chisels to break down rock in more manageable pieces.

Mike

Edited by MikeR

"A problem solved is a problem caused"--Karl Pilkington

"I was dead for millions of years before I was born and it never inconvenienced me a bit." -- Mark Twain