Weird Day.....

JimB88

Anyone ever just obliquely ask god for something and then (perhaps by coincidence) you get what you ask for? That happened to me three times today!

First I asked for the sun to stay out long enough for me to hunt today in my favorite spot. Sure enough, it was sunny until I hiked back to my car and left the quarry; then it clouded up and started raining.

Second, I asked to find a tooth today..and my first find of the day was a fantastic tooth! Cladodus, one of the few bradyodonts whose teeth actually look like shark teeth. In retrospect I should have asked for one out of the matrix or for some prepping skills :D ...

post-2953-0-76460000-1297118518_thumb.jpgpost-2953-0-38062100-1297118540_thumb.jpg

note the striations that near the root. Interesting story about the small 'deltodus' tooth in the pic with the cladodus; whilst prepping the tip of the cladodus a piece flew off. so I got on hands and knees to look for it and found that deltodus instead. I have no idea how long it was down there or from which hunt it came - it more than likely popped off some matrix I was prepping with out me noticing. I know, I need to be more organized and professional when prepping.

Which brings us to the third thing I asked for. To find the piece that flew off. I didn't find it on the floor..instead I found it in my shoe after stopping to get the rock out of my shoe. Sheesh :rolleyes:

Anyway, heres some other stuff I found today..

unknown bryo that I wanted to keep in the matrix, but the layer was too thick. Ive positioned it in about the position I found it in...

post-2953-0-66669000-1297119185_thumb.jpg

A real nice Clieothyridina with the original shell (rare in that locality) which shows the growth lines...

post-2953-0-70995200-1297119313_thumb.jpg

I found many blastoids of the Pentremites genus..heres a smattering..

post-2953-0-89738800-1297119402_thumb.jpg

Ive been trying to find a complete Pentremites cherokeensis (of which the one on the upper left is a partial.) I found a good one today with only the very bottom were the stem attaches missing. But in trying to free it from the rock it fell off down a deep space between massive boulders. :(

more after prepping

Edited by JimB88

Well congrats on those great finds! Can you please ask for me to win the lottery since your luck is so good today? :P

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

Very, very cool tooth :wub:

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Nice find and recovery :) I found a 3mm fish tooth on my truck seat this morning :rolleyes:

It's hard to remember why you drained the swamp when your surrounded by alligators.

...Ive been trying to find a complete Pentremites cherokeensis (of which the one on the upper left is a partial.) ..

have you tried looking in your other shoe ? :P

I love the Cladodus tooth you found and the blastoids too..

Ya cleaned up!

Yes Nice FINDS!!! WTG wish i could get lucky with a insian spring up here lol

-CQ

Jim,

Great Finds!

Love the tooth!

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png    VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015       MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg        IPFOTM -- MAY - 2024   IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png

_________________________________________________________________________________
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

thanks guys! Just realised I may have attached the part of the tip backwards as its supposed to have a gentle 's' curve to it. Should I try to redo it?