Another Blaster Question

Northern Sharks

I have a blaster that I bought used. I'd been playing around with it off and on for a year or so, but could never get it to work as I figured it should. I always had air coming out of the pen, but never a consistent sand flow, and no, the lines weren't clogged. I finally tried something this morning, and it seemed to work, but I don't know why. I've attached a schematic of my blaster, a Jelenko Whirlwind, made for dental use, but weren't all microblasters originally. The air goes in to a regulator/water trap (I have it set to about 80 psi) then goes to the foot pedal. From the pedal, it goes to a valve, where it gets split, 1 hose going to the abrasive canister, 1 going direct to the pen. At the canister, the incoming air blows down through a tube, agitating the abrasive. There is an output hole that goes to the pen, and another tube. The line coming from that second tube goes into the blasting cabinet, but ends at an open hole. It's in a place where I can't see if that hole is threaded or not, but I can't see anything that should fit into it. If that hole is open, I get no abrasive. If I cover that hole with a fingertip, I get a good abrasive flow. My question, what is the purpose of the "hose to nowhere" :zzzzscratchchin:

post-77-0-86291800-1298155645_thumb.jpg

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

I have a blaster that I bought used. I'd been playing around with it off and on for a year or so, but could never get it to work as I figured it should. I always had air coming out of the pen, but never a consistent sand flow, and no, the lines weren't clogged. I finally tried something this morning, and it seemed to work, but I don't know why. I've attached a schematic of my blaster, a Jelenko Whirlwind, made for dental use, but weren't all microblasters originally. The air goes in to a regulator/water trap (I have it set to about 80 psi) then goes to the foot pedal. From the pedal, it goes to a valve, where it gets split, 1 hose going to the abrasive canister, 1 going direct to the pen. At the canister, the incoming air blows down through a tube, agitating the abrasive. There is an output hole that goes to the pen, and another tube. The line coming from that second tube goes into the blasting cabinet, but ends at an open hole. It's in a place where I can't see if that hole is threaded or not, but I can't see anything that should fit into it. If that hole is open, I get no abrasive. If I cover that hole with a fingertip, I get a good abrasive flow. My question, what is the purpose of the "hose to nowhere" :zzzzscratchchin:

Hi Kevin:

You got a strange looking configuration... I am puzzle why you have 2 air lines going into the stylus.... I got only one line going into the stylus

Shoud be air the air compressor to dewatering filter to regulator to foot valve to accelerator chamber then straight to stylus.

I would connect where the air splits both intake lines should supply the accelerator chamber.... the grit should spiral with the air current in the chamber and travel up the single out put line to the stylus.

The only thing I can think of is that the second line to the stylus as to enhance venturi effect to assist the dispersion of the blasting grit.

PL

Edited by pleecan

I agree, it's an unusual setup, but it must be that way for a reason, I don't think the previous owner (Gabriel from the KRFC) butchered the original manufacturers setup and changed eveything to it's current state. If I was to reconfigure it in the way you suggest, I'd still be left with that mystery hole in the cabinet. It also seems that there would be a lot of pressure in the canister,but I don't think I'd have the same velocity coming out of the stylus without that direct air line.

Edited by Northern Sharks

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

My Crystal Mark unit ... air compressor , dewatering filters, regulator , foot valve ( which I replaced with a hand valve), single line into the stainless accelerator chamber where the

grit is stored then exit line to the stylus... really simple.... and it works.

Could the extra hose be a bleed hose? To release pressure when you turn the machine off. The Swam Blaster and Comco both have one.

Edited by jpc

I agree, it's an unusual setup, but it must be that way for a reason, I don't think the previous owner (Gabriel from the KRFC) butchered the original manufacturers setup and changed eveything to it's current state. If I was to reconfigure it in the way you suggest, I'd still be left with that mystery hole in the cabinet. It also seems that there would be a lot of pressure in the canister,but I don't think I'd have the same velocity coming out of the stylus without that direct air line.

I know Gabe..... Why not give Gabriel a call.... he is very knowledgable with regards to prepping.... I suspect maybe he bought it used and was already butched state.... if it is a bleed line to depressurized the cabinet... there should be some sort of working check valve to your acclerator chamber to prevent back flow and presssure loss... failure of this valve lack of this valve would cause you to have poor performance....

I think you guys are on to something. When I plugged the hole with a fingertip, the sand flow was there, but it continued after I released the foot pedal. Once I took my finger away, it stopped immediately. I'll see Gabe at the KRFC show in a couple of weeks, but I think he's already told me all he knows about it. There is also no mention of a relief valve in the manual, although it is not a very comprehensive guide.

If plugging is difficult (Whatever you plug it with might not stay)... a simple hose clamp will do. Give it a try and see how it works.

I was able to see that the mystery hole is threaded, so I'll attach a hose and some kind of relief valve. I don't want to simply plug it, there must be a reason for it. The last thing I want is to have my canister explode from excessive pressure.

...The last thing I want is to have my canister explode from excessive pressure.

That prospect would make me...nervous.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Ok, I goofed a bit. The abrasive line coming from the canister to the pen goes through the tube, the "bleed line" goes from the hole at the top of the canister (no tube). Air in through a tube, abrasive out through a tube. Also, I tried blocking the mystery hole for a longer period of time, and yes.... BOOM. The lid burst off the canister. It's plastic, so no real damage, but there was a bit of a mess. It would have looked like a 3 stooges routine to see me in that cloud. There has to be some physics principal I'm missing that draws the sand from the canister

Likely, your system works similar to mine. The extra tube could work as a powder flow regulator. Try hooking up a valve of some kind with an opening that you can regulate. Mine has a screw, turning it regulates powder flow. The manual of my blaster says never to close the screw entirely, now I know why. Glad you and your setup survived the blow. :blink:

Paleo database, information and community

LogoS.png