What Do You Do If You Find...

Kosmoceras

Question: What do you do if you find something too big to extract, and you want profesional paleontologists to extract it? Like let's say a dinosaur and nest? What do you do?

Odin, are you implying that you have found a large fossil?

im not quite sure what you would do :unsure: ... maybe contact a museum with some paleontologists?

-Shamus

The Ordovician enthusiast.

Here in Maryland if you think you have found something of scientific value along the cliffs you can contact the Calvert Marine Museum. They will then go into the field, take a look to confirm it is worthy of extraction, and get GPS coordinates so that they can contact the proper landowner to obtain permission to remove the fossil. They will then dig out the fossil and take it to the museum for prepping and any further study and then storage or display. You will be given credit for the find. Usually if you ask they will allow you to help with the digging. I have done this with a whale skull I found in the cliffs.

I'm sure there would be some suitable museum in your area to contact in a case such as you describe.

Well, as long as you're planning on it, have a plan!

Make the acquaintance of some museum pros now; you might find other benefits to such a relationship.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

If there are no museums nearby, its best to first send pix, cuz it may be a long ways out for the not-so-local museum to get to your site. So, write a nice letter to some museum with lots of good pix with scale bars, and different angles. I work in a museum and I like to get stuff like this. I also like to get stuff where people bring specimens in, so if it is possible to bring in a chunk of the find, that is also a good way of getting someone's attention, or even of getting someone to say, "Hmmmm... that looks very interesting", or "Concretion :( ". No insult to your abilities to ID stuff, but a hand sample is worth two in the bush. As a musuem person what irks me is when people come in and just tell us they found a dinosaur egg, could we come have a look at it, andit is the far corner of the state. No pix, no sample. There is no way for us to a) know what sort of knowledge these folks are armed with and B) be able to tell them what they have woithout good visuals.

Happy hunting. And good luck.