Poor Newbie Needs Bone Prep Tips

Seattleguy

Hey all, I am new to the forum and semi new to collecting. I am a recent college grad, and while in school I got the fossil collecting bug. I am going to be getting a small number of un prepped dino bones pretty soon, and need some tips for prepping. I am not sure of the amount of prep work needed on the bones I will be getting, but the bug has bitten so I am sure I will be doing alot more prep work in the future.

For me now, the most readily available prep method would be a dremel tool. Would this work, or is it a no go for removing fossil matrix?

Also, does any one know a source for Vinac?

Does anyone also have a tested mixture ratio, Vinac: Acetone that has worked well?

Chris

• 8 months later...
Guest bmorefossil
It depends. What kind and how hard is the rock that your working in

learning how to prep takes time, just wanted to throw my little bit in there lol. It took me awhile before i learned how to work with the soft bones here we find along calvert cliffs, its not like they are dust but if you could scratch them

The process of exposing or freeing bones from the matrix will be totally dependent on the character of the material you are working with. Several threads on the Forum contain useful information.

Buried somewhere in the Forum archives is a particularly good thread about preserving fossil bones bones.

A lot of tricks, hard-won through collective years of experience, are discussed at length.

When I get a chance, I'll see if I can find it.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Guest solius symbiosus
For me now, the most readily available prep method would be a dremel tool. Would this work, or is it a no go for removing fossil matrix?

A dremel is a good tool for removing the matrix to get at the fossil, but stop well short of the fossil.

Also, does any one know a source for Vinac?

Does anyone also have a tested mixture ratio, Vinac: Acetone that has worked well?

Chris

A dremel is fine but can be VERY unforgiving. I suggest the following site: www.Paleotools.com to look at getting an airscribe. Yes they are more expensive and you will have to get a compressor (2 gal at the smallest) but the upside is that you will be able to do better work. Also you can use an engraver (can be bought at radio shack) which you can use the vibrating tip to remove matrix. Also visit your dentist and ask him for some old dental picks for hand work. If you don't have a dentist - I suggest a hobby shop for the serious modeler which will have tools for fine modelling (Squadron Tools is a particular brand name). Also see the thread in this forum (airscribe locator)

Next - play with the matrix. Find out if it is fine graiined and hard, shaley, chippy. . . etc. How you approach the prep will depend (like someone said above) on the hardness of the bone and the matrix surrounding it. I have dealt with matrix almost to the hardness of marble down to matrix that you could dissolve with water.

Finally on Vinax. . . I would suggest Butvar B-76. Can be purchased on line in 1# 5# etc quanities. I dealt with Talas (http//:talasonline.com) out of NYC. B-76 is a powdery resin that dissolves well in acetone. As for the ratio you have to play with it to get the consistancy that you want. First you need to determine the status of your bone. Is it in need of heavy consolidation? You need to have a thinner mixture so that the resin soaks in. Do you need to repair it - a thicker mixture. It becomes sort of an art. . . <grin> just remember the reason B-76 is good is that if you do make a mistake - you can dissolve the resin with acetone and start over.

Last - practice on 'scrub" fossils. Get used to how your tools operate, what pressure you need to apply etc. Get on line and "google" or "yahoo search" the word "fossil preparation" and read articles. Never hurts to have more knowledge than you'll need.

Good luck

Roger

Ditto on what Roger said. Beg borrow or steal to get enough money to buy a compressor and air scribe. I guarantee you will not regret it!

RB