Bison Names

32fordboy

What is the current acceptable method for naming Bison? For example, Bison antiquus? Bison bison antiquus? I also heared something about the genus being merged with Bos.

Also, is Wisent another generic term for Bison?

Just curious, really.

Edited by 32fordboy

we talkin' fossilized bison or petrified bison?

:) The fossil kind .The other we just say hey you. :rofl::blush: Sorry,I've been reading too many of your post tracer. :D

Edited by bear-dog

Bear-dog.

Yeah, I saw something about B. antiquus and B. occidentalis being a subspecies of Bison bison (hence Bison bison antiquus), which is what prompted me to ask.

Edited by 32fordboy

Over the years there have been MANY species of Bison described on the basis of very fragmentary material. I know of one current attempt at a revision of the genus (personal communication with author) that includes Bison latifrons for the large, straight-horned individuals, Bison priscus (or B. priscus alaskensis) for all of the large curve-horned individuals, Bison antiquus for the medium-sized individuals and Bison bison for the Late Pleistocene/Holocene (modern) individuals.

-Joe

Illigitimati non carborundum

Fruitbat's PDF Library

The researcher referred to above (I just re-read the paper) refers to only four species of bison:

1) Bison priscus alaskensis - the American Steppe Bison. He believes that this taxon was the first to arrive in North America and is derived from (if not identical to) the European Steppe Bison, Bison priscus. He includes Bison crassicornis, B. chaneyi, B. antiquus barbouri, B. geisti, B. preoccidentalis and B. willistoni

2) Bison latifrons - the Giant Long-horned Bison. At least seven previously described scientific names have been synonymized with it, including: Bison alleni, B. ferox, B. regius, B. rotundus, Bos arizonica, and Bos crampianus.

3) Bison antiquus - the Giant Short-horned Bison. Synonyms of B. antiquus include: Bison californicus, B. kansensis, B. occidentalis, B. oliverhayi, B. pacificus and B. taylori. The author considers B. occidentalis to be a more variable 'Northern Form' of B. antiquus.

4) Bison bison - the Great Plains Bison. This is the extant bison and some authorities divide it into two subspecies: Bison bison bison of the Great Plains and Bison bison athabascae - the Wood Bison. Synonyms include: Bos americanus, Bison americanus pennsylvanicus, B. b. haningtoni, B. b. oregonus, B. b. septemtionalis, and B. sylvestris.

-Joe

Illigitimati non carborundum

Fruitbat's PDF Library

• 5 months later...

Bison bison bison; an animal so nice, they had to name it thrice.

Or twice.

Amateur ramblings: I remember a big argument some time back within the community of professional biologists, regarding exactly what separated "species." Some thought it was interbreedability, with or without viable offspring (two different camps). Others continued to base it morphological differences, and I believe there were other breakdowns that were over my head.

Any way, one particular argument (and I believe the one which eventually carried the day and is "The View" today) had downgraded canis lupis and familiaris to being one in the same animal. If I recall, they based it strictly on genes. They said the genes, at the molecular level, were identical. The argument, to me, seemed to say that the parts are what mattered.

I, personally, think that a wolf is greater than the sum of its parts. Not to disparage dogs, but when you domesticate something, you deprive it of its essence. I think there is something to a "gut" feeling that science, of course, does not recognize.

But when it comes to bison, I get that gut feeling. I see two major lines. A more gracial line, like the European Wisent, Priscus, Athabascae, and maybe crassicornis, etc (more distal twist in the horn and core and a "lighter" sense to the skull). The others, like B. bison bison, antiquus, seem to have a "heavier" skull and straighter horn feel to me.

Latifrons is a wild card and could go either way. If I had to force it, I'd put Latifrons in with the later catagory. Just sayin'.

I've also read a lot about the occipital/condile morphology and differences betweeen Latifrons and B. bison and head carriage and speculation about pealage. I'm ordering a "new" paper on the head carriage out of Idaho State U. to see what the thoughts are. But the idea that huge hump ribs are designed for muscles to carry a large head for sweeping snow, or that they are designed as a fulcrom to aid on long lopes across large expanses, seems to render the head carriage deal a non-issue between Latifrons and B. bison. Why would they both have these huge humps, compared to bos (including Aurochs, etc.)? What separated bison from bos, and why? Especially regards the hump and the broad cranium and wedge-shaped skulls? If they ever decide to say bos and bison are the same, like lupis and familiaris, I will lead a revolution, go back to school, get a Phd in biology and burn down some houses!

Long live bison! (Even the extinct ones.)

Okay, back in my lane. End rant.

Amateur ramblings:

...Any way, one particular argument (and I believe the one which eventually carried the day and is "The View" today) had downgraded canis lupis and familiaris to being one in the same animal. If I recall, they based it strictly on genes. They said the genes, at the molecular level, were identical. The argument, to me, seemed to say that the parts are what mattered.

I, personally, think that a wolf is greater than the sum of its parts. Not to disparage dogs, but when you domesticate something, you deprive it of its essence. I think there is something to a "gut" feeling that science, of course, does not recognize....

Perhaps you are thinking of the relatively new area of genetics called "epigenetics." A dog and a wolf may have identical genetic makeup, but some genes are "turned on" in the wolf while they are "turned off" in the dog (and vice versa).

These differences are not gene mutations, but rather are identical genes influenced by different external circumstances, domestication being an easily-observable trigger.

Do a google search for "epigenetics" to learn about this phenomenon.

Edited by Harry Pristis

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

I belive y'all missed one very Important one.

Bision hambergernesisidelcious.

PUBLICATIONS

Dallas Paleontology Society Occasional Papers Vol. 9 2011

"Pennsylvanian Stratigraphy and Paleoecology of Outcrops in Jacksboro, Texas"

Author

Texas Paleontology Society Feb, 2011

"Index Fossils and You" A primer on how to utilize fossils to assist in relative age dating strata"

Author

Quotes

"Beer, Bacon, and Bivalves!"

"Say NO to illegal fossil buying / selling"

"They belong in a museum."

Education

Associates of Science - 2011

Bachelors of Science (Geology & Biology) - 2012 est.