March 2011 Finds Of The Month

JohnJ

Though prep is not complete, it has been put on long term hold due to the death of the air compressor. I figured it looked good enough, so it got to my house March 20th. It was collected on November 30, 2010.

Thaleops ovata

Ordovician

Mifflin mbr. of the Platteville fm.

Southwest Wisconsin

Before:post-3840-0-66332200-1301264375_thumb.jpg

After:post-3840-0-43077500-1301264191_thumb.jpgpost-3840-0-07156400-1301264204_thumb.jpgpost-3840-0-12450200-1301264217_thumb.jpg

Edit: Prep was completed/stopped March 12th.

Edited by Caleb

Well worth the wait Caleb ... outstanding prep on a gorgeous trilobite !! :wub:

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

Impressive work Caleb. Did you use an air scribe, blaster, or a combo of both? I'd like to see some photos of the process if you have any.

Ramo

For one species to mourn the death of another is a new thing under the sun.
-Aldo Leopold

Impressive work Caleb. Did you use an air scribe, blaster, or a combo of both? I'd like to see some photos of the process if you have any.

Ramo

I didn't do the prep, but it was done by scribe and air abrasive. The compressor died before the air abrasive work could be finished.

Wow... some great specimens this month. I'm finally getting to work on some of my own specimens... been working on other peoples' fossils all winter.

Here is my submission to the inverts...

I am identifying it as Jeletzkytes criptonodosus

Late Cretaceous

Pierre Shale

Niobrara County

Found on 21 March 2011

Prepped today, 27 March 2011

post-1450-0-97041100-1301283494_thumb.jpg

Here's my find:

Kallidecthes Richardsoni Schram - Shrimp

Middle Pennsylvanian

Francis Creek Shale

Mazon Creek - Pit 11

Will County, IL.

Found on March 6, 2011

post-5190-0-73084800-1301366642_thumb.jpg

Edited by trend

:phew: Tough month to try picking out a winner. :startle: Everytime I think I have a favorite picked out,I go back and look again to be fair.I'm getting brain cramps. :wacko:

Bear-dog.

What an assortment this month! When Northern Sharks posted his echinoderm plate I though the month was already finished, but no! Fantastic specimens, I'm happy for all of you.

Don

Hi,

Wouah Nando ! This Aphorrais pespelecani takes out my eyes of their orbits ! It is incredible !

Please, what is its size ?

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Pareidolia : here

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

Here's my entry -- Sawfish rostrum; Ischyrhiza mira Leidy; collected on Feb. 18, 2011 and completed preparation on March 22, 2011; Ripley Formation, Selma Group, Upper Cretaceous (Maastrichtian); Lowndes County, AL; about 22" long with 6 articulated rostrals and 4 associated rostrals. Thanks for your interest.

post-117-0-83656700-1301087981_thumb.jpgpost-117-0-16796900-1301088021_thumb.jpg

Dude, this is wicked cool! I've never seen one of these before.

Daryl S.

I'll enter a Pennsylvanian fern from St Clair, 'collected' photographically on 3-13-11 for my first ever shot at Plant fossil of the Month.

post-3607-0-52794700-1301544909_thumb.jpg

Andy (redbrick)

"All living things do one of two things. They either grow, or they die. When they stop growing, they immediately start dying. The mind is also a living thing."

Hi,

Wouah Nando ! This Aphorrais pespelecani takes out my eyes of their orbits ! It is incredible !

Please, what is its size ?

Coco

Thanks Coco, it is slightly more than two inches (between 5 and 6 cm.) :D :D

Erosion... will be my epitaph!

http://www.paleonature.org/

https://fossilnews.org/

I'm new here and I don't know if you guys would consider this contest worthy (there are some awesome submissions here!) but I was told by some of the veterans in the HGMS crew that this was a very, very rare find, so I figured what the heck!

This specimen is a Brachiopod, Dictyoclostus SP, found the weekend of Mar 18th near Brownwood, Texas. Age is Pennsylvanian, c. 300 million years.

The cool thing about it is not the brach itself but the fact that the internal structure is visible and it's preserved very nicely too. You can see the lophophores--which (thanks to the help of Lexy and her handy book) I learned set up water currents and bring in food to the body cavity. I.E.- it's the feeding organ.

post-4790-0-16836600-1301604672_thumb.jpg

post-4790-0-95529700-1301604695_thumb.jpg

I'm new here and I don't know if you guys would consider this contest worthy (there are some awesome submissions here!) but I was told by some of the veterans in the HGMS crew that this was a very, very rare find, so I figured what the heck!

This specimen is a Brachiopod, Dictyoclostus SP, found the weekend of Mar 18th near Brownwood, Texas. Age is Pennsylvanian, c. 300 million years.

The cool thing about it is not the brach itself but the fact that the internal structure is visible and it's preserved very nicely too. You can see the lophophores--which (thanks to the help of Lexy and her handy book) I learned set up water currents and bring in food to the body cavity. I.E.- it's the feeding organ.

nice brachiopod, Aliza :)

Erosion... will be my epitaph!

http://www.paleonature.org/

https://fossilnews.org/

Aliza, the latest reference I have lists a change in the genus to Reticulatia. :)

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ