Penn Dixie Fossil Club

ohiofossilhunter

I was wondering are there any others on here that are members of the penn dixie fossil club?

I will be a yearly member this year...and expect to make approx 10 visits there this season.:)

"Your serpent of Egypt is bred now of your mud by the operation of your sun; so is your crocodile." Lepidus

Can you tell us a little about the club? How many members, are there meetings, etc...

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

A visit w/o membership is currently 7 USD per visit.

The membership supports the running of the site, through the Hamburg Natural History Society.

Membership is 25 USD for a single individual for one year, 40 USD for 2 year.

Family Memberships are to be had at 40 USD 1 yr., 65 USD 2 yr.

Unlimited visits to the site are free as a member!

Those local to the area are welcome to sign up to help guide, clean up the site and otherwise volunteer.Various higher levels of Sponsorship are available as well.

There are also organized astronomy and birding events during the calendar year, as well as several child-themed activities.

Penn - Dixie Home Page Website

Membership Application Form Member Form :)

Edit thats bout what I know about anything organized, this is pretty cool too, the list of bird species ID'd at PD. 143 species of Birds

Edited by xonenine

"Your serpent of Egypt is bred now of your mud by the operation of your sun; so is your crocodile." Lepidus

Thanks; sounds like a great bunch of people running it!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

Penn Dixie is an amazing place to dig for really cool Devonian fossils - From Trilobites to brachiopods to corals and bryzoans! :wub::D:)B)

Love digging there,... just wish it was closer than 8.5 hours away from my home! :blush:

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png    VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015       MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg        IPFOTM -- MAY - 2024   IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png

_________________________________________________________________________________
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I'm actually heading up there in mid April for my first visit. Very excited but does anyone have any tips/suggestions for a first-timer?

Gary

Edited by gjb6774

One of the few places that welcomes things like pick axes and six-foot pry bars. I'm not a digger myself but I still got really excited lifting out fresh new slabs of rock and being rewarded with bugs and more bugs. I still have all those slabs from 10 years ago awaiting proper prep work.

I'm actually heading up there in mid April for my first visit. Very excited but does anyone have any tips/suggestions for a first-timer?

Gary

bring a hat, a five gallon bucket to carry all your tools and samples, water, a hammer and at least a 1 inch chisel, a large gardening fork and a really skinny knife or pry bar are also good tools here,A soft pack is also a welcome addition, and you only have to move this double handful of stuff like 2 or 3 times, if you move your dig site.

The bucket and pack make it easy to carry everything, and assure you will have every thing you need except for large shovels, picks, pry bars, which you will not need.Penn Dixie supplies good tools too.

Dont forget to bring alot of baggies, bubble wrap, aluminum foil, whatever you like to use to protect the fragile specimens.And some extra drinks in the car.A rudimentary first aid kit with several band aids, gauze and aspirin would not be a bad idea too.

Edited by xonenine

Wonderful information. Thanks so much! Hopefully I will have plenty of images to post in a couple of weeks.

• 4 weeks later...

A very good Penn Dixie and 18 Mile Creek report...lots of good photos of what to expect to find as well.Website Link

A reminder to anyone in the area, the Penn Dixie Spring Break is almost upon us, Michelle and I will be there, Saturday and Sunday at the least, Carmine.

:jig: Spring Break April 16-23, 2011, Monday-Saturday. 9 AM-4 PM & Sunday, 11 AM- 4PM :jig:

Penn Dixie Home Page - Website

Edited by xonenine

Penn-Dixie is the best! I was there for the first time last June and will be going again this June with the New York Paleontological Society. we make it a 3 day trip and hit 18-Mile Creek and zip into Canada to poke around for Eurypterids.

Like Fossildude19 It's a hike to get there....6 hours. If I was a lot closer I'd buy a Lifetime Membership and probably end up sleeping there. biggrin.gif

Like Erose, i'm not a digger. In fact, I'm allergic to shovels and pickaxeslol.gif, but, no need to worry, all you need is your trusty geo hammer and a couple of chisels. In fact, even those aren't necessary as many good specimens can be had by just walking around and poking at the piles of shale.

GOOD LUCK !

Tom

AVOCATIONAL PALEONTOLOGIST

STROKE SURVIVOR

CANCER SURVIVOR

CURMUDGEON

"THERE IS A VERY FINE LINE BETWEEN AVOCATIONAL PALEONTOLOGY AND MENTAL ILLNESS"

Wish I had the time/money to go!!:(

Can't wait to get back out there in July!

Hope all have a great time!

Carmine,... have you ever inspected around or in the brook in the far right hand back corner??:unsure:

Regards,

Edited by Fossildude19

VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png    VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015       MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg        IPFOTM -- MAY - 2024   IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png

_________________________________________________________________________________

Any one going on the penn dixie member's cincinnati fossil trip?

I've never been fossil hunting and I was thinking of driving out to Penn Dixie this week. What is it like there? I mean like what do I have to bring and how plentiful our fossils? On average what will be my luck for a couple hours there?

I've never been fossil hunting and I was thinking of driving out to Penn Dixie this week. What is it like there? I mean like what do I have to bring and how plentiful our fossils? On average what will be my luck for a couple hours there?

Hello Salmon, and Welcome to the Forum. :)

Post # 9 in this thread has good advice as to what to bring/expect.

It can get kinda hot if the sun is out. It is kind of like fossil hunting in a parking lot. Look for it in google earth, and you'll see what I mean.

The shale is a dark gray, and therefore kinda soaks up the sun. Bring a hat, sunscreen, and plenty to drink.

In a few hours, you can expect to find some trilo pieces and many horm corals, and many brachiopods. It kinda depends on your luck. Sometimes you find the trilos,... sometimes you don't. Definitely worth the price of admission.

Hope this helps.

Regards.

Ok thanks :D, I didn't notice the information in post 9, sorry.

Should i wear shorts or jeans?

Edited by Salmon

...Should i wear shorts or jeans?

As is suitable for the weather, but knee pads would be an excellent accessory either way :)

opening day of spring break was a wet opening, to be sure.A warm jacket and a light poncho seem to be in order the next few days, and its always a good idea to have a spare disposable poncho anyway.

Although the rains are keeping the water level high, there are many trilobites to be had, right at ground level, theres a semi circular excavation exposing the Windom Shale, where the trilobites will be most often found.

There were the usual large quantities of rugose corals both loose and in matrix, as well as thousands of individual crinoid stem segments which settle out everywhere theres a slight rise.I brought home 1 enrolled Eldredgeops, about 40 partials in various states, and a few in matrix for later.

Mediospirifers and a few other Brachs were available. the best bed for Brachiopods was a little too wet to work yet.

Barring the water, with patience and 3 or 4 hours it is still very easy to find some trilobites to harvest here.:)

As Tim said, a walk down the back through the creek bed produces many other Brachiopods, theres even a little carboniferous plant matter.When it dries up more, the Tichenor Limestone will be fun to sample this year.

post-4577-0-62761000-1303003684_thumb.jpg

post-4577-0-15729900-1303065416_thumb.jpg

Edited by xonenine

Great report Carmine! :)

Looks like you had some luck! ;)

Congrats, and Regards,

they usually have hammers and small sledges there that can be borrowed, large gardening forks also i believe. Although they may have other tools, it's always best in the long run to have a hammer and tools you are used to using, knowing your tools condition and their heft and having the right hammer you're used to swinging can cut down on injuries, and increase the quality of recoverd versus broken specimens.