Where To Find Tools?

suprmatch

Looking to find good dental picks to gently prep fossils. Ya know to pick the bits of shale off so you don't damage the fossil with a chisle. Where should I go?

1) Ask your dentist if he has any old ones he can't use.

2) Ebay; 187 hits under "dental picks". Here's one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/8pc-DENTAL-PICK-PROBE-...1QQcmdZViewItem

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

A lot of your smaller "mom and pop" hardware stores have them....I've also found on softer matrix, wood carving tools from a craft/hobby store work really, really well.

• 8 months later...
Guest Nicholas

I suggest all discount tool stores, and places where one can acquire used tools. I've found many great things such as smile files and picks, hammers, chisels and the works from these types of stores. I've also found many goodies at "dollar stores". :)

Harbor Freight , the American Chinese Discount Tool store . :-)

Hunting fossils is fun , but discovering is better !

Harbor Freight , the American Chinese Discount Tool store . :-)

Also try hobby shops - there is a company called "squadron Tools" that makes of line of tools for the serious hobbyist that transistion well to paleo prep. Also - pawn shops are great places to really start a great collection of collection and prep tools - shovels, trowels, cold chisels, etc.

Roger

• 2 weeks later...

I found a set of metal dental picks (with plastic handles) at walmart, right in the toothbrush/floss section. It was a few years ago, but it only cost a few bucks. They still work, too.