A Cretan Fossils Collection

astron

...First is a crab claw section...

Something new, and wonderful! Such a variety there; congratulations!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Something new, and wonderful! Such a variety there; congratulations!

Thank you, Chas ;)

I know that the crabs afford a claw elimination, that's why this very crab was disappeared :)

Astrinos P. Damianakis

Hello all.

Just 3 posts for today.

First another cupressaceae sp cone (part and counterpart).

post-4345-0-20246400-1310417775_thumb.jpg

Edited by astron

Astrinos P. Damianakis

An unknown seed (?) 5 x 3 x 3 cm.

post-4345-0-04776600-1310417907_thumb.jpg

post-4345-0-79999400-1310417922_thumb.jpg

post-4345-0-24439600-1310417939_thumb.jpg

post-4345-0-80092300-1310417955_thumb.jpg

Edited by astron

Astrinos P. Damianakis

And the last for today is a strange seeds combination.

post-4345-0-06062500-1310418109_thumb.jpg

Edited by astron

Astrinos P. Damianakis

Hello all.

Seeds continuation... Their variety is remarkable. Some of them found ror first time. New to my plant material is the appearance of some coloration in my last presentations.

First is a hash plate with some small seeds among the plantation fragments. Some of these seeds (mainly on the right of the slab) are grain like.

post-4345-0-22623800-1310633696_thumb.jpg

Astrinos P. Damianakis

Here are two plates with several seeds.

post-4345-0-07605900-1310633843_thumb.jpg

post-4345-0-53389800-1310633863_thumb.jpg

Astrinos P. Damianakis

And two more.

post-4345-0-11988300-1310633952_thumb.jpg

post-4345-0-91652700-1310633974_thumb.jpg

Astrinos P. Damianakis

Last for today is a small plate with seeds and a big fish scale.

post-4345-0-46526400-1310670493_thumb.jpg

Edited by astron

Astrinos P. Damianakis

Hello all.

Seeds again... Hopefully they will reach to an end sime time.

First are 3 small slabs.

post-4345-0-02455800-1311104174_thumb.jpg

post-4345-0-84587600-1311104192_thumb.jpg

post-4345-0-65482600-1311104211_thumb.jpg

Astrinos P. Damianakis

A plantation plate. A small leaf and some seeds are included....

post-4345-0-07570500-1311104319_thumb.jpg

Edited by astron

Astrinos P. Damianakis

And the last one for today (part and counterpart).

Largest fossil dimensions 9 x 4 cm.

post-4345-0-31914000-1311104568_thumb.jpg

Astrinos P. Damianakis

Hello all!!!:)

"First crab claw"

Very nice. If I find time I'll see if I can ID this for you. Any ideas yourself?

"First crab claw"

Very nice. If I find time I'll see if I can ID this for you. Any ideas yourself?

Thanks a lot, my friend ;)

None! And I haven't imagined that a bit of the claw could provide a crab's id.:o

Astrinos P. Damianakis

Hello all.

Some more plant material today, maybe strange.

First ia a plate with branches, small seeds and fish scales.

post-4345-0-22302800-1311368144_thumb.jpg

Edited by astron

Astrinos P. Damianakis

Here are two plates with some plant material mixed up with ... fish scales.

My first impression was that these small and rounded shapes were fish scales... and finally they are...

post-4345-0-74190500-1311369736_thumb.jpg

post-4345-0-12129300-1311369760_thumb.jpg

Edited by astron

Astrinos P. Damianakis

You have such wonderful, varied fossils you find there

that it occurs to me that you could write a book with

your finds if that interested you..

Welcome to the forum!

And last for today is an actually strange fish skull... I have never seen before.

post-4345-0-87613600-1311370634_thumb.jpg

Edited by astron

Astrinos P. Damianakis

You have such wonderful, varied fossils you find there

that it occurs to me that you could write a book with

your finds if that interested you..

Thanks indeed, Roz ;)

It's truth that and I am myself impressed with this great variety.

As I have already stated here one of my dreems is a publication containing my finds.

I know well what that means but the human volition removes even mountains, if God permits.

But to start removing this mountain, it is necessary to stop hunting first.

And how to stop hunting when new fossils are in pending to see the day lihgt?

On the other hand we are still young. Me and Chas, I mean - he knows better...:)

Best wishes.

Astrinos

Astrinos P. Damianakis

Nice collection of corals there. We have some nice agatized corals here in Florida which I love to collect. Thanks for sharing with us! Marty

:o :o

dear astrinos, never have i thought the island of crete holds this many beautiful surprises!! :D it's amazing!! ;) keep on collecting and harvesting! don't stop! to me, this thread is like watching an action packed movie ;)

Yours is a very impressive collection. If you have shown us the best and most complete then I can only imagine all the rest! I love the pictures of the terrain where you collect. Over here it is often hard to get permission to hunt on private land but I imagine that you are well known and liked in yoour area and have no such problems. I'm guessing it is a common site for your neighbors to see you out in the wild, pounding away on a rock over those past 40 years. Is this mostly privately owned land where you hunt, and does Crete have any restrictions on collecting like we see some places here?

Maybe you can start writing your book at night unless you go out with a torch to hunt in the dark :P Now that you have completely spoiled us we will expect to see all of your new finds as they come.

Kind Regards

Bob

Nice collection of corals there. We have some nice agatized corals here in Florida which I love to collect. Thanks for sharing with us! Marty

Thanks, Marty ;)

Agatised corals are my sympathy.

Corals and oysters were my favorite fossils for about 40 years and I wanted so much to change page. And actually I have changed and not only one. Almost all my plants, fishes, insects are finds of this year...

After my entry here. So, it happened thanks to TFF.:)

Astrinos P. Damianakis

:o :o

dear astrinos, never have i thought the island of crete holds this many beautiful surprises!! :D it's amazing!! ;) keep on collecting and harvesting! don't stop! to me, this thread is like watching an action packed movie ;)

Thank you so much, my friend ;)

I always think that, except searcing, there is a lot of job concerning my fossils in pending. But since new finds are coming up, I have to continue their presentation for a while :P:D :D

Astrinos P. Damianakis

Yours is a very impressive collection. If you have shown us the best and most complete then I can only imagine all the rest! I love the pictures of the terrain where you collect. Over here it is often hard to get permission to hunt on private land but I imagine that you are well known and liked in yoour area and have no such problems. I'm guessing it is a common site for your neighbors to see you out in the wild, pounding away on a rock over those past 40 years. Is this mostly privately owned land where you hunt, and does Crete have any restrictions on collecting like we see some places here?

Maybe you can start writing your book at night unless you go out with a torch to hunt in the dark :P Now that you have completely spoiled us we will expect to see all of your new finds as they come.

Kind Regards

Bob

What an interesting post, Bob!!!:rolleyes:

Have to try some answers.

Actually, I try to select for my collection complete items or, if not complete, those with something especially interesting. It means the majority of the stuff is left back. The dificulties are when I am in the between of yes and no. And, believe me, these cases are quite enough.

About the legal restrictions on collecting, my searces on this thread haven't spotted any impediment for my hunting area. There are some areas in Crete wich are protected by the law as they are the Samaria gorge, the Natural Park of Psiloritis and the palm forest of Vai. The hunting is forbidden in all of the caves, as well, becouse the are considered as possible arcaeological sites. Though, I have read somewhere ( in a tourist guideline, if I remember correctly) that there are problems in the exports out of Greece of the mamal fossil material.

There are not any other restrictions to me coming from external causes, as well. As you know, all my finds come exclussively from my birth village's area (about 2 x 10 km). My village has at about 200 habitants wich are all friends of mine (relatives or no). The same happens with enough people of the surrounded villages. So, I'd say that I am well known even to the stones (literally)!!! Or, what has been added yesterday, even to the sheeps!!! It wasn't an ideal hunting day yesterday. High temperature, the sun very hot, not any shadow in this very spot and I had to remove successively the pouring perspiration from my see glasses. But it was a special day!!! It was the first time I was hunting among 200 sheeps!!! It was fascinating but unfortunately I hadn't my camera with me, as I use to...

The only restrictions are coming from inside. I live permanently in Iraklio, the main city of Crete ( 35 km far from my village) and I can hunt only on the weekends and mainly on Sundays and if my other works in the village permit it. My spare time of the weekdays is devoted to the much time needed fossil prep, to learn everything I can about my fossils and to cover my passion with the Forum. What to do first??? And how to start writing a book of my fossils under these conditions???

Everything is to be done in it's time, if we are determined to do well something good...:)

Thanks a lot for your nice post and for your patience with all this.:)

Edited by astron

Astrinos P. Damianakis