A Cretan Fossils Collection

astron

Two quercus sp leaves

post-4345-0-25212300-1312831604_thumb.jpg

post-4345-0-64796600-1355472946_thumb.jpg

Edited by astron

Astrinos P. Damianakis

And last for today two more quercus sp leaves.

post-4345-0-08925600-1312831781_thumb.jpg

post-4345-0-71015900-1312831829_thumb.jpg

Edited by astron

Astrinos P. Damianakis

Beautiful collection of plants Astron. ;)

Thank's for show it.

Edited by paleosworld

banner7.gif

Beautiful collection of plants Astron. ;)

Thank's for show it.

Thanks a lot, Juanjo!:)

Astrinos P. Damianakis

Beautiful leaves and artistic presentation Astrinos! :)

Thank you very much, Scott :)

Your flower is unreachable :wub:

Astrinos P. Damianakis

Hello all.

I think it's time to jump into some more complicated plant finds.

The ''sprouting seed'' is already presented at the ''Fossil id'' forum and my final conclusion is it's possibly about a

gametophyte. (Thanks THobern for this aspect).

I have questioned Dr. Bonnie F. Jacobs of Southern Methodist University (Thanks Bob for this suggestion), if this could be a sprouting seed. In my pleasure Dr. Jacobs kindly answered immediately and her answer is the following:

''Hi Astrinos,

Collecting fossils in Crete sounds delightful! I've looked at the image you sent, and there is a chance the fossil is of young roots emerging from what remains of a seed. Unfortunately, it's hard to be certain about this, because I cannot see the seed itself and also the upward growing shoot is not preserved – this would help to orient us, and to confirm that we are seeing the young roots. Another issue is that the roots, if that is what they are, appear to be emerging from near the middle of what should be the seed – but, roots and shoots should emerge from top or bottom -unless the seed had split open because the roots (and presumably the shoot located somewhere not shown here) reached a large enough size to leave only a part of the original seed intact. So, what I'm saying is there is something not quite right about the where the "roots" are coming out of the seed, and it's hard to see if that area behind the roots is the remains of a seed coat.

If this is actually a fossil of roots emerging from a seed, then it is indeed unusual. But, there are some other examples of this in the fossil record, including those reported in these papers: http://www.jstor.org/pss/2656710 http://www.jstor.org/pss/2443355 ; http://www.ncbi.nlm....df/12952628.pdf

Also – this one: http://onlinelibrary...1504.x/abstract

Happy hunting, and all the best,

Bonnie''

Thanks a lot, Dr. Jacobs.

The leaf close to the seed is probably of the ziziphus sp..

I have found the same seed and other times in my hunting area. On the next post are pics of two small slabs containig this seed. The leaf on the first of these two slabs is the same with the previous one (probably ziziphus sp. ).

post-4345-0-73740500-1312921362_thumb.jpg

Edited by astron

Astrinos P. Damianakis

The mentionned two slabs.

The elongated shape in the lower right corner of the first slab is a female catcin of an aspen populus sp. (Thanks a lot, Eric).

post-4345-0-82130700-1312922101_thumb.jpg

post-4345-0-85959800-1312922128_thumb.jpg

Edited by astron

Astrinos P. Damianakis

And the day closes a slab with several things on it.

The main are two branches emerged from opposite directions. The one seems to end up to a seed and the other to a small flower.

post-4345-0-28479200-1312923669_thumb.jpg

Astrinos P. Damianakis

Astrinos, Can you provide another pic of the 2nd slab under "The mentioned two slabs" with a higher lighting angle?

That first one is nice, lots going on there. Looks like a winged seed, and maybe a catkin in the lower right corner?

Astrinos, Can you provide another pic of the 2nd slab under "The mentioned two slabs" with a higher lighting angle?

That first one is nice, lots going on there. Looks like a winged seed, and maybe a catkin in the lower right corner?

Thanks a lot, Eric!!! Your posts are always helpful and interesting :wub: .

I think that you are right and the elongated shape in the lower right corner of the first slab on post 394 must be a female catkin of an aspen populus sp.. A close up is attached with a new pic of the second slab of the same 394 post, hopefully better than the primitive one.

post-4345-0-26352400-1313006222_thumb.jpg

post-4345-0-91605400-1313006245_thumb.jpg

Edited by astron

Astrinos P. Damianakis

Hello all.

At first I have to come back to the post 395 becouse an in detail review showed that the flowers are two and not one! Amazing!!!

Attached are a new pic of the hole slab and a convincing close up.

post-4345-0-83966700-1313006968_thumb.jpg

post-4345-0-39344300-1313006990_thumb.jpg

Astrinos P. Damianakis

The main today's item is a big plantation plate (part and counterpart). It contains some small seeds, 3 dicotylophyllum leaves and some pinus sp. leaves (needles). Attached are 3 pics of it.

The back sides so of the part, as of the counterpart are also fossiliferous and are presented on the next two posts.

post-4345-0-21368600-1313010883_thumb.jpg

post-4345-0-34944100-1313010903_thumb.jpg

post-4345-0-84875200-1313010929_thumb.jpg

Astrinos P. Damianakis

This is the back side of the part.

It contains some small leaves and seeds and a salix sp leaf close to the center of the slab.

post-4345-0-60306400-1313011162_thumb.jpg

Astrinos P. Damianakis

And last for today is the back side of the counterpart.(two pics)

It contains some small seeds, two quercus sp leaves and close to the bigger leaf a tiny flower with a couple of tiny leaves intact.

post-4345-0-00662300-1313011490_thumb.jpg

post-4345-0-33610900-1313011629_thumb.jpg

Astrinos P. Damianakis

Looks like fossil flowers are springing up in Crete! Congratulations Astrinos! :Bananasaur:

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

Looks like fossil flowers are springing up in Crete! Congratulations Astrinos! :Bananasaur:

Thanks a lot, Scott ;)

I am still looking for the somehow fitting to the Oregon beauties :unsure::D

Astrinos P. Damianakis

Hello everyone!

In continuation to the previous posts concerning the fish scales and plantation combinations, I am presenting some new relative finds.

post-4345-0-94131900-1313143140_thumb.jpg

post-4345-0-15772800-1313143168_thumb.jpg

Edited by astron

Astrinos P. Damianakis

This big plate is not impressive but it's saying more than by the first view it seems to.

It contains a lot of these fish scales and on the lower right corner the bigger one I've found sofar (about 2 x 1,8 cm). And finally on the upper right side are some whitish tiny gastropods...

Two close ups on the next post.

post-4345-0-15704900-1313144478_thumb.jpg

Edited by astron

Astrinos P. Damianakis

And the two close ups of the plate.

post-4345-0-37460900-1313144592_thumb.jpg

post-4345-0-85411900-1313144616_thumb.jpg

Astrinos P. Damianakis

I am quite certain they are fish scales, Astrinos, they are a dead ringer for the one I showed you. I see them all the time around here. I don't think flowers would preserve with more detail (and gloss) than your leaves.

Thanks a lot, Eric, for your aspect, wich is respectable as all the previous. Nature confuses us some times and especially me with some unexplainable things. For the reasons I have already mentioned, I don't change enything at the moment and I will come back on this thread when I have more evidences on the one or on the other direction.

Edited by astron

Astrinos P. Damianakis

:o :o :o

im... lights... blurring... im... fainting...

those are magnificent additions to your fantastic collection of miocene marvels dear astrinos! wub.gifwub.gifwub.gif

Thanks a lot, Eric, for your aspect, wich is respectable as all the previous. Nature confuses us some times and especially me with some unexplainable things. For the reasons I have already mentioned, I don't change enything at the moment and I will come back on this thread when I have more evidences on the one or on the other direction.

OK, I can respect that. I'm just one guy! If it's proof you need, I'll try to provide it. Toward that end, have a look at the pics on these sites (if it's not a problem to add a link to another website)...

http://www.h5.dion.ne.jp/~nspicnic/mine/f/fishscaleYOBAKEe.htm

http://www.springerimages.com/Images/LifeSciences/1-10.1007_978-90-481-9271-7_1-11

http://www.museum.state.il.us/exhibits/mazon_creek/gallery/?RollID=roll01&FrameID=unid_fish_scale

In the meantime, if there is anyone else viewing this thread with something to back me up, please add it!

Edited by Wrangellian

:o :o :o

im... lights... blurring... im... fainting...

those are magnificent additions to your fantastic collection of miocene marvels dear astrinos! wub.gifwub.gifwub.gif

Thank you so much, Henry, for the kind comments ;)

The diversity mainly of the plant material here is actually remarkable!!! I need for their prep each day to be double...:wacko:

Hopefully, they'll end sometime :(

I don't want but I need it...:)

Astrinos P. Damianakis