A Cretan Fossils Collection

astron

And last for today is one of my favorite finds.

It's about a slab bearing a 23 cm conger sp. eel next to a 13 cm partial unknown odd pufferfish...(part and counterpart).

It was found on 01 May 2012 in my big pleasant surprise...

Though, the bigger surprise came today when I decided to take a look of my first conger sp. eel (this is the second one).

I stayed with an open mouth when I realised that it was found on 01 May 2011 :o :o :o ( link ).

Aren't unbelievable some coincidences in our life???

post-4345-0-32166500-1336080009_thumb.jpg

post-4345-0-06959100-1336080019_thumb.jpg

post-4345-0-95787600-1336080033_thumb.jpg

post-4345-0-06730800-1336080049_thumb.jpg

Edited by astron

Astrinos P. Damianakis

Hi Astrinos,

Wonderful finds as usual. I'm curious about the ID of eel? Is it possible this is a pipefish (Syngnathus) or do you have a paper or reference describing this genus from the Miocene of Crete? Check these links and tell me what you think...

Congrats :D

LINK 1

LINK 2

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

And last for today is one of my favorite finds.

It's about a slab bearing a 23 cm conger sp. eel next to a 13 cm partial unknown odd pufferfish...(part and counterpart).

It was found on 01 May 2012 in my big pleasant surprise...

Though, the bigger surprise came today when I decided to take a look of my first conger sp. eel (this is the second one).

I stayed with an open mouth when I realised that it was found on 01 May 2011 :o :o :o ( link ).

Aren't unbelievable some coincidences in our life???

Awesome.

My dream is to find something like that here in the Pennsylvanian that turns out to be the conodont animal.

Context is critical.

Hi Astrinos,

Wonderful finds as usual. I'm curious about the ID of eel? Is it possible this is a pipefish (Syngnathus) or do you have a paper or reference describing this genus from the Miocene of Crete? Check these links and tell me what you think...

Congrats :D

LINK 1

LINK 2

Thank you so much, Scott, so for the nice comments as for your valuable help and neat job, that has established you as one of the more important TFF members ;)B):wub:

Unfortunatelly, I don't have any paper but I was influenced by the first item I had found, that bears some similarities to the recent one. One of these similarities is the bony exposure under the jaw, that occures in both specimens, as the pics 1 and 2 are showing. Now, having examined the material so on the links you have attached as much more I have found in my googling, even though I haven't spotted anywhere the above very characteristic, but judging based on the rest elements, I think you are right with the pipefish (syngnathus).

Thank you very much again :fistbump:

The attached pic 3 is a close up of the pufferfish that shows better the scales and the eye of this strange fossil.

post-4345-0-06355800-1336164507_thumb.jpg

post-4345-0-63803000-1336164519_thumb.jpg

post-4345-0-02809300-1336164543_thumb.jpg

Astrinos P. Damianakis

Awesome.

My dream is to find something like that here in the Pennsylvanian that turns out to be the conodont animal.

Thank you, Missurian, for the nice comment ;) As you have seen above, I think that Scott is correct with the id. I wish you to find the conodont you like and It would be in my pleasure you to display it here in the Forum sometime :D

Astrinos P. Damianakis

Hello all.

To jump into the plant material, just one post for today.

It's a dicotylophyllum branch with a leaf and two seed heads (part and counterpart).

The 1st of May was a good fossil day...

post-4345-0-37183200-1336174174_thumb.jpg

post-4345-0-42314300-1336174193_thumb.jpg

post-4345-0-00996900-1336174253_thumb.jpg

Astrinos P. Damianakis

Astrinos!

You have been busy rounding out your museum worthy collection again, I see. :D:wub:

Wonderful finds, and that the "eel" (or pipefish, as the case may be) was found exactly a year from the first one, it is not surprising to think that something is guiding you along on your fossil journey. :)

Thank you my friend, for the lovely story and fossil pictures, which precipitated my smile,... as always. :)

Best regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png    VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015       MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg        IPFOTM -- MAY - 2024   IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png

_________________________________________________________________________________
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Έχεις αρκετά κομμάτια κυπαρρίσι στη συλλογή σου. Αυτό το άρθρο θα σε ενδιαφέρει :

http://news.in.gr/sc...?aid=1231194718

Short abstract on Cupressaceae distribution: http://www.pnas.org/...114319109.short

Of course, they are interesting to me!!!

Thank you very much, my friend, for the links and for keeping me in your mind ;):)

Edited by astron

Astrinos P. Damianakis

Astrinos!

You have been busy rounding out your museum worthy collection again, I see. :D:wub:

Wonderful finds, and that the "eel" (or pipefish, as the case may be) was found exactly a year from the first one, it is not surprising to think that something is guiding you along on your fossil journey. :)

Thank you my friend, for the lovely story and fossil pictures, which precipitated my smile,... as always. :)

Best regards,

Thank you very much, my friend, for your kind words :wub:

Your posts are always charming :rolleyes:

I feel lucky for having you nearby :fistbump:

Edited by astron

Astrinos P. Damianakis

So many spectacular finds! B) congratulation Astrinos!

Hi Astrinos,

I found this paper for you on the Miocene Syngnathiformes of Crete.

It includes a trumpet fish and the pipefish: Syngnathus heraklionis LINK :D

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

So many spectacular finds! B) congratulation Astrinos!

Thanks a lot, Gery, for the nice comments ;):)

Astrinos P. Damianakis

Hi Astrinos,

I found this paper for you on the Miocene Syngnathiformes of Crete.

It includes a trumpet fish and the pipefish: Syngnathus heraklionis LINK :D

Once more for Scott with no words: :wub::oB):ninja: :sword: :meg dance: :bow: :goodjob:

I couldn'n imagine that there is a species named in the favor of our city of Iraklio (or Heraklio) and moreover that this species was going to be so interesting to me!!!

Syngnathus heraklionis has taken their srecies name from our city because it was found 14 km faraway. This spot is 16 km far from my hunting area. It bears some similarities to my specimen, but and differences, as well.

So, having examined and the new data, I am convinced that my specimen is an undescribed species of the genus syngnathus sp. pipefish.

Once more Scott's primitive aspect (about syngnathus sp.) has been confirmed.

Thanks a lot again, Scott :fistbump:

Astrinos P. Damianakis

• 5 weeks later...

Hello all!!!

Came not to add my new finds (they can wait) but to update for my first exhibition of fossils and minerals that will be held on 15 and 16 of june in my birth village of Panasos, in the middle of Crete island, Greece, in cooperation with our Cultural Association. A big part of my collection (at about 300 pieces all found in my village) will be exhibited. I have tons of work ahead but hopefully everything runs smoothly until then.

It would be a great honor, if anyone of the TFF members can join us.

Attached are two relative posters.

post-4345-0-86338700-1339187321_thumb.jpg

post-4345-0-19921900-1339187336_thumb.jpg

Astrinos P. Damianakis

This is a wonderful thing! I can think of nothing I would rather do; maybe someday, my friend :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

This is a wonderful thing! I can think of nothing I would rather do; maybe someday, my friend :)

Thank you, Chas! Hard things indeed...

To give you and idea of the ''tons of work'' I have refered to, I am uploading 3 pics.

Pic 3. A load of boxes is ready to be transered today from my home in Iraklio city to my store in my village, where the exhibition will take place. This is the second load of stuff and one more is remaihing.

Pic 2. Empty boxes and wrapping material in pending and

Pic 1 Some of the remaining stuff ...

And so on ....

post-4345-0-28799700-1339227689_thumb.jpg

post-4345-0-87766200-1339227708_thumb.jpg

post-4345-0-24216200-1339227724_thumb.jpg

Edited by astron

Astrinos P. Damianakis

Thanks, Nathan, for the nice comment ;)

Astrinos P. Damianakis

I checked airfare and although the exhibit is free, the trip will cost a bit too much! So please send us a report on the final display :):popcorn:

Astrinos,

I wish you the best of luck in presenting your fabulous collection to the people of your birth village. :D

A lot of hard work, but the people will be amazed with the breadth and quality of your collection!

Best wishes, my friend! ;)

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png    VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015       MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg        IPFOTM -- MAY - 2024   IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png

_________________________________________________________________________________
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I checked airfare and although the exhibit is free, the trip will cost a bit too much! So please send us a report on the final display :):popcorn:

You are right, Gus! The result counts anyway ;)

Thanks for your intention to join us and the reason that doesn't allow you to come here is pushing me - after the fossils - to collect ... active aircrafts... :D :D :D

Astrinos P. Damianakis

Astrinos,

I wish you the best of luck in presenting your fabulous collection to the people of your birth village. :D

A lot of hard work, but the people will be amazed with the breadth and quality of your collection!

Best wishes, my friend! ;)

Thank you very much, my friend, for your trully encouraging words!!! I feel privilleged receiving so much into a so little message :wub:

Hopefully, the local people will come in touch with this unkown so far but so nice and important world and this is the basic aim of this event. ;)

My best wishes to you :)

Edited by astron

Astrinos P. Damianakis

• New Members

Here are all my porites corals.

They are 4 big pieces. The three first in two pics each and the oval one in 4 pics.

Hello Astron,

I have just found your presentations on the internet. your collection of fossil corals from Crete is really excellent and I would enjoy to get in touch. I am geologist working for a university in Germany and we have been doing a lot of geological work on the reefs of Crete.

Yours

Porites

Hello Astron,

I have just found your presentations on the internet. your collection of fossil corals from Crete is really excellent and I would enjoy to get in touch. I am geologist working for a university in Germany and we have been doing a lot of geological work on the reefs of Crete.

Yours

Porites

Porites,

Thank you very nuch for the nice comment. It's very interesting to me you have worked on the reefs of my island and it would be in my pleasure us to keep in contact.

I have just come back fron my first exhibition of fossils in my village and I am preparing some pics for the Forum.

Kind regards

Astrinos

Edited by astron

Astrinos P. Damianakis