Resources To Help Id Dino Bone ?

Seattleguy

From looking around, it seems that Dino bones are IDed based upon where they are found, what other bones are found nearby, and also shape, size, and bone structure.

It seems I have read that a honeycomb structure is diagnostic of T-rex bone. First, Is this true ? If so , does anyone know resources online that have picture examples of dino bone structure to help in bone ID ? I couldnt find anything helpful on google.

Might anyone have an example of the honeycomb structure of T-rex bone they could post as an example?

Thanks all

Chris

This sounds like a job for snafu947; hopefully he'll be checking the posts. If not, you could shoot him a PM.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Guest michael
This sounds like a job for snafu947; hopefully he'll be checking the posts. If not, you could shoot him a PM.

yes honeycomb structure is diagnostic of T-rex bone

And lots of other bones too, including Turtle, Whale etc.

Pic 1, Pliocene, Balaena sp. Bowhead Whale and Pic 2, Unidentified as yet, Oligocene bone.

post-45-1213572049_thumb.jpg

post-45-1213572268_thumb.jpg

KOF, Bill.

Welcome to the forum, all new members

www.ukfossils check it out.

Great post, geofossil! Even though I wasn't doing the asking, I got a lot from it. Thanks!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!