A Trip To The Potomac

obsessed1

On Fathers day I took a little ride down to the river to hunt for a few hours. I chose the river so as to not find all the fossils from the cliffs before the July hunt. Not much chance of that but I sure am glad I chose to hunt the river. I found several really nice teeth and my best Croc tooth ever!! I have looked on elasmo to try to ID these teeth but several look the same from the pics. If anyone knows the proper ID of them feel free to help out with that. Are there any other places to look to ID these? They are from the Aquia formation and are Palaeocene in age from Maryland.

post-281-1213657655_thumb.jpg

post-281-1213657664_thumb.jpg

post-281-1213657678_thumb.jpg

post-281-1213657687_thumb.jpg

post-281-1213657731_thumb.jpg

post-281-1213657740_thumb.jpg

post-281-1213657755_thumb.jpg

post-281-1213657778_thumb.jpg

post-281-1213657800_thumb.jpg

post-281-1213657812_thumb.jpg

post-281-1213657822_thumb.jpg

post-281-1213657846_thumb.jpg

post-281-1213657864_thumb.jpg

post-281-1213657875_thumb.jpg

post-281-1213657884_thumb.jpg

I think I see Carcharias hopei (sand tiger) and Otodus obliquus, and maybe Striatolamia striata (another sand tiger)and Cretolamna sp. (appendiculata?), plus possibly others. Nice Haul!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Nice finds! I've concluded that as much as I'd like to, unless I own the property, I can't "save" the site for future use as I can't control the conditions or collecting pressure. Go early and often, I say.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Guest bmorefossil

wow obsessed that must be some of the nicest finds ever to come out of the potomac, im not joking!!!! You see people go there and find maybe one good tooth but you... you found tons of good teeth. I dont think i will ever have a day that good along the potomac.

Maryland side, across from Fairview Beach (VA)?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

looks like you did really well! thanks for those in situ shots! really like them :D

"Turn the fear of the unknown into the excitment of possibility!"

We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.