Cretaceous Top Killers

Sinopaleus

If there was a carcharodontosaurus, a tyrannosaurus rex and a gigantosaurus fighting each other at the same place and time, who do you think would win?

:) Depends on who wanted it more.I own a Maine coon [cat],he owns the area.There are Pit Bulls ,Dobermans,etc,that get in our yard and he sends them home.No one has their dogs under control.The only animal that is safe to come into the yard is a Chihuahuah{?}.He dosent know if it's a dog or a rat. :D

Bear-dog.

The paleontologist who found the site!:P

:goodjob: hahahaha that was a good one :P and it makes sense too

I hate to be a debbie downer, but we get this question from kids all the time at the museum... hate this question. Who the heck cares?!?! I hate boxing, too.

Ok, now I'll shut up.

Well, clearly a question that's held on for a while. To pick the nitty gritty details Carchar and Gig could be evenly matched, while Rex is slightly smaller it's got more brain power, so I can definitively say the winner is...extinction!

What a wonderful menagerie! Who would believe that such as register lay buried in the strata? To open the leaves, to unroll the papyrus, has been an intensely interesting though difficult work, having all the excitement and marvelous development of a romance. And yet the volume is only partly read. Many a new page I fancy will yet be opened. -- Edward Hitchcock, 1858

Formerly known on the forum as Crimsonraptor

@Diplotomodon on Twitter

whoever gets in the golden strike that happens to nick an artery or crunch a vertebrae.

each of the animals has formidable capabilities, so it might actually come down to which one has the best intelligence and/or coordination, which would be highly variable between individuals of each of the species. which one has fought more fights? which one is better at intimidation and bluffing? which one is smart enough to run away?

too many variables involved to answer the question, but that doesn't mean that considering the question isn't a good learning experience and mental exercise.

Similar to tracer, the question makes me think about individual instances rather than generalities. Like Cave bears and prehistoric humans -- sometimes a human might kill the bear but .... sometimes you eat the bear and sometimes....

Same discussion with Mammoths and humans. You might think that the Mammoth had the advantage based on size and strength.

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

All are fearsome predators (yes Jack Horner, that mean T-REX too) and are roughly similar in size so it's too close to call, but i'm just gonna say T-rex because he's my favorite!

"In Africa, one can't help becoming caught up in the spine-chilling excitement of the hunt. Perhaps, it has something to do with a memory of a time gone by, when we were the prey, and our nights were filled with darkness..."

-Eternal Enemies: Lions And Hyenas

I know everybody loves C. megalodon and everything... but there are far more impressive predators out there than T. rex and carcharodontids (and C. megalodon, for that matter) - namely Livyatan, Basilosaurus, Liopleurodon, Kronosaurus, Pliosaurus, Tylosaurus, etc...

The ocean is where the truly terrifying creatures are from.

• I found this Informative 1

I know everybody loves C. megalodon and everything... but there are far more impressive predators out there than T. rex and carcharodontids (and C. megalodon, for that matter) - namely Livyatan, Basilosaurus, Liopleurodon, Kronosaurus, Pliosaurus, Tylosaurus, etc...

Oh dear...

Now that you mention it that brings up another heated paleontological debate...the shrink ray...

I don't know if any of you have heard this before, but the idea is the size estimates of marine repties go from massive and then shrink dramatically to 30-40 feet. That's happened with Liopleurodon, Kronosaurus, Tylosaurus, Leedsichthys (not a reptile but another victim), etc.

And whether it's true or not, I don't like that theory at all...

What a wonderful menagerie! Who would believe that such as register lay buried in the strata? To open the leaves, to unroll the papyrus, has been an intensely interesting though difficult work, having all the excitement and marvelous development of a romance. And yet the volume is only partly read. Many a new page I fancy will yet be opened. -- Edward Hitchcock, 1858

Formerly known on the forum as Crimsonraptor

@Diplotomodon on Twitter

Oh dear...

Now that you mention it that brings up another heated paleontological debate...the shrink ray...

I don't know if any of you have heard this before, but the idea is the size estimates of marine repties go from massive and then shrink dramatically to 30-40 feet. That's happened with Liopleurodon, Kronosaurus, Tylosaurus, Leedsichthys (not a reptile but another victim), etc.

And whether it's true or not, I don't like that theory at all...

so when those marine reptiles turn old they shrink? hey, that reminds me of my grandma :P bwahahaha :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

This is a funny thread, however I agree with Tracer. But what I really think, is that we pit all three's pro's and cons against each other, then run 1000 simulations to see who wins the most simulations. So going into the play, would be fastest, strongest, biggest teeth, biggest jaws, biggest claws etc. And I think, however many times we ran this scenario, the winner would be CHUCK NORRIS!

:P:P:P:P:P:P

:D:D:D:D:D:D

:lol: :lol: :lol:

:laughing on the floor 24:

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Ok Im done now, seriously!

DO, or do not. There is no try.

This is a funny thread, however I agree with Tracer. But what I really think, is that we pit all three's pro's and cons against each other, then run 1000 simulations to see who wins the most simulations. So going into the play, would be fastest, strongest, biggest teeth, biggest jaws, biggest claws etc. And I think, however many times we ran this scenario, the winner would be CHUCK NORRIS!

:P:P:P:P:P:P

:D:D:D:D:D:D

:lol: :lol: :lol:

:rofl::rofl:

Ok Im done now, seriously!

i was thinking of the flint stones but chuck norris can do too! ;)

:) Have to agree with tracer.Consider the Blue Ring Octopus.So tiny it can swim in the palm of your hand,but one sting and its game over :D

Bear-dog.

:) Have to agree with tracer.Consider the Blue Ring Octopus.So tiny it can swim in the palm of your hand,but one sting and its game over :D

Agreed!

DO, or do not. There is no try.

I still hate this question, and here is a better explanation of why. When my cat dies, and when my neighbor's dog, who is five times as big as my cat, dies, I can show their skeletons to someone who has never seen a living cat or dog and ask the same question. They will all likely say the dog will win, yet most of us know that many cats will kick the butt out of dogs five times their size. You could do the same with badger and coyote.

I just had to chime in cuz I heard this question again this weekend.. from an adult. OK, I'll shut up again.

Have you ever seen the video of the puma taking on a bear at least 3 times her size? The bear wouldn't stand a chance.

Edited by 32fordboy

• 3 months later...

Having contacted many experts in marine reptile, it seems that no pliosaur known really exceed 50 feet in lenght.

The most interesting current found is that one from England :

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2011/07/pictures/110712-pliosaur-fossil-sea-monster-biggest-skull/

But experts have estimated that it weighed up to 15 tons, which seems a relatively low figure compared to other marine predators.

It seems to me that C.megalodon is still larger than most of the other marine carnivore known from fossil records.

Livyatan upper estimate was around 55 feet, whereas Megalodon exceeded 60 feet.

• 2 years later...

I know this post is ancient but I'd like to respond this.

None of these species is more impressive than C. megalodon actually, in terms of size (so predatory strength). The last findings of Pimiento in the Gatun nursery counts an adult C. megalodon lateral tooth indicating a total length of 17.9 m using Shimada's method. Reading Gottfried et al works, they predicted for a 17 m C. megalodon specimen a body mass of 59 tonnes, based on the weight regression curve used in the same paper. Shimada's method seems more conservative than Gottfried's method at estimating the size of C. megalodon. For the same UA2 tooth in the study, Gottfried et al regression estimated a total length about 15.9 m, whereas Shimada found 14-15.1 m. So it is possible that 17.9 m figure found in Gatun using Shimada's method is itself a conservative or cautious estimate. And Gottfried's regression itself appears somewhat conservative compared to others methods. And all the works dedicated to C. megalodon size only involved isolated specimens, none trying to establish a maximum size for the species, except for Gottfried who hypothesized a 20.3 m TL female individual.

By comparison, Tylosaurus, like others mosasaurs such as Hainosaurus and Mosasaurus, grew up to 10-13 m, perhaps to 15 m for discussing with Mike Everhart and Johan Lindgren. And mosasaurs were very slender in body structure.

The largest Pliosaurus, macromerus, was according to McHenry in his thesis, 12.8 m and 20 tonnes. Pliosaurus funkei and kevani are both slightly below that range in their description papers.

McHenry also estimated Kronosaurus at 10.5 m and 11 tonnes in the same thesis.

Liopleurodon was smaller than this at a size of about 5-7 m though some isolated remains from Oxford suggest possibly 9 m.

Basilosaurus was very large, in excess of 20 m, but very slender. It had an impressive set of jaws but only comparable to mosasaurines and tylosaurines in terms of size and predatory apparatus.

Livyatan is certainly the most impressive of all predatory tetrapods. Estimated at 13.5 m, based on Physeter zygomatics, and 16.2-17.5 m based on Zygophyseter zygomatics. Possibly it was somewhere between these two figures. It outclasses any marine reptiles with ease, even at an estimated 13.5 m.

But still, C. megalodon with several individuals estimated at 17 m+ in Gatun (so possibly in excess of 60 tonnes using Gottfried table), by a seemingly conservative method, still is likely the most impressive marine predator. Others unpublished calculations, based on jaws perimeters (a method used for Cardabiodon rickii and Parotodus benedeni), using large unstudied yet isolated teeth suggest for C. megalodon a maximum size approaching 20 m.

No doubt, all these ancients marine predators are very impressive, but none really equals C. megalodon in terms of size, even by conservative means.

Edited by Gabe

JPC said: "I hate to be a debbie downer, but we get this question from kids all the time at the museum... hate this question. Who the heck cares?!?! I hate boxing, too."

Hey don't knock it. I made quite a bit of money from a Discovery Channel affiliate who did a whole series of shows based on "Who would win" questions. They made stainless steel casts of the skulls of a fair number of different predators, and then tested them, then produced CGI fights. They used my plastic casts of skulls to make the stainless steel versions.

But you are right - I do particularly hate the question when it involves critters than didn't exist at the same time.

Rich

The plural of "anecdote" is not "evidence".