Nice Color On This Hastalis Tooth

erik m

Hi all,

The tooth on the photo's is a Hastalis tooth.

I did get this tooth with a few teeth I did buy a few year's ago.

The color is verry nice and so I like to ask you is this a color thats belongs to a location where this color is fond more on teeth (like Bakersfield or summer ville)?

Thanks Erik

post-4937-0-18073900-1301256108_thumb.jpg

post-4937-0-15303400-1301256148_thumb.jpg

post-4937-0-95998900-1301256196_thumb.jpg

post-4937-0-35314800-1301256230_thumb.jpg

Very beautiful tooth, and big!

The color is almost like some from Peru.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Excellent color -- almost gold.. I am trying to think where I might have seem such a tooth color similar --- We get a few browns, blues, and greens here in south florida, but yellow is not a common color -- especially yellow gold..

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

That could be a Sharktooth Hill Bonebed tooth (a lesser-seen overall color) but it looks a little bit more like a Late Miocene tooth from one of the sites in Chile.

Hi all,

The tooth on the photo's is a Hastalis tooth.

I did get this tooth with a vew teeth I did buy a few year's ago.

The coller is verry nice and so I like to ask you is this a coller thats belongs to a location where this coller is fond more on teeth (like Bakersfield or summer ville)?

Thanks Erik

Ok I see a few answers going to Peru and Chille I think also that the tooth must come from one of thes spots.

Lets wait or more mebers post what thy think.

For now thanks for the help.

Greetings Erik

I'd say South American as well, Chile or Peru. Before the fossil export ban a few years ago, the teeth from both places, but particularly Chile, were among the more common locations offered for sale. Ebay used to be loaded with them.

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

That is one beautiful tooth. Thanks so much for sharing it with us.

Bulldozers and dirt Bulldozers and dirt
behind the trailer, my desert
Them red clay piles are heaven on earth
I get my rocks off, bulldozers and dirt

Patterson Hood; Drive-By Truckers

image.png.0c956e87cee523facebb6947cb34e842.png May 2016  MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160.png.b42a25e3438348310ba19ce6852f50c1.png May 2012 IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png.1721b8912c45105152ac70b0ae8303c3.png.2b6263683ee32421d97e7fa481bd418a.pngAug 2013, May 2016, Apr 2020 VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png.af5065d0585e85f4accd8b291bf0cc2e.png.72a83362710033c9bdc8510be7454b66.png.9171036128e7f95de57b6a0f03c491da.png Oct 2022

Can you tell me where that river area is?

greetings Erik

sw florida, starts at charolette habor and runs up through sarasota county.

Unless you have more information, it's hard to be definitive. It's almost certainly a land find, not just because of the colour, but the flecks of manganese in the blade. I'd rule out Chile and Peru for a number of reasons (mainly to do with the preservation of the blade and root respectively). It could be STH, but I'd place my money on Summerville. The colour and preservation seem most consistent with some of the nice teeth coming out of there.

Unless you have more information, it's hard to be definitive. It's almost certainly a land find, not just because of the colour, but the flecks of manganese in the blade. I'd rule out Chile and Peru for a number of reasons (mainly to do with the preservation of the blade and root respectively). It could be STH, but I'd place my money on Summerville. The colour and preservation seem most consistent with some of the nice teeth coming out of there.

Ok I did not know that manganese spots are only to see on land find teeth.

Thanks for letting us know.

If anyone thinks or this tooth comming from some where els just whrite it down in this topic.

Greetings Erik

Ok I did not know that manganese spots are only to see on land find teeth.

Thanks for letting us know.

If anyone thinks or this tooth comming from some where els just whrite it down in this topic.

Greetings Erik

I've never seen comparable flecks on a river-found tooth, but I don't think that anyone was seriously considering those as possibilities.

Hello all,

The morphology doesn't really fit Sharktooth Hill hastalis .. looks like a younger example. I would have said Chili but the manganese is problematic. I have a couple of teeth from FL with similar colors, none of which have any sign of manganese ... which brings me to Peru. Some hastalis teeth from Peru are both very colorful and have some evidence of manganese speckles. But instead of guessing I would to try to trace it's origin especially since this is such a beautiful tooth.

There were sites in the San Diego, CA where you could find Pliocene great whites that look similar to that.

This tooth is from Peru and has also a lot of manganese speckles.

There were sites in the San Diego, CA where you could find Pliocene great whites that look similar to that.

No I am sure this one is from Peru I had to clean of a big chunk of matrix.

I would say either Peru, or Summerville, but only because I have been looking at a lot of teeth from Summerville lately (not found by me :( ) that have the same colorations and the good ones can be found in the same condition. Either way, its a beautiful tooth!

DO, or do not. There is no try.