Fossil Eggs On Ebay?

-Andy-

I 've always been interested in getting a fossil egg of my own (I live in Singapore, so no, I can't buy one from around here, and there ain't any fossils for me to dig T_T).

My only option is Ebay. However, I 've noticed once in a while, a Hadrosaur egg or Oviraptor egg pops up on Ebay with a selling price of roughly 150-200 USD, or bid starts low and ends at 200+ USD.

Question is, how real are these eggs? They look real to me, but I am no professional fossil collector and thus I can't judge. The sellers are not always the same, but they often have near max approval of 99% or more, and have had over 500 deals to 2000 at times.

Anyone can shed some light? Thanks.

PS: Besides the infamous Keichusaurus(of which any one time, I can see up to 20 or more being sold...often at prices of 150-300 USD), are there any other commonly faked fossil?

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

Hi the best fossil egg dealer on eBay, is eons, a mr Lowell carhart, look for dino eggs and you will find what he has for sale, look at his incredible feedback, you won't be disappointed, I'm sure a lot of people on this

Forum will have bought from him in the past.

Eons is a very trustworthy dealer. I have dealt with Lowell on a number of occasions, and he has always been fair and honest. I would stick with him if you want certaintly on the purchase of eggs.

I second what my previous 2 posters have stated about Lowell Carhartt. Unfortunately he has quit the dinosaur egg business. So in the future it will be a bit more difficult to find a honest dealer that is very trustworthy. For me, Lowell was one of the all time best sellers in the world of fossils. He still entertains a website though, that also had a section that deals with the recognition of faked eggs. I can't find it anymore but maybe you could ask him for a link in case it still exists somewhere.

Hi again, re the last post eons are still selling dinosaur eggs on eBay, so what has happened to lowel? Has someone else taken over his site? Or is it still him trading?

Hi again, re the last post eons are still selling dinosaur eggs on eBay, so what has happened to lowel? Has someone else taken over his site? Or is it still him trading?

Still him, but this may be some of the last of his inventory.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Yes I have seen Eon's fossil eggs on Ebay. They are very impressive, but far too expensive for me. His eggs are of an exceptional quality, or consist of a large clutch of eggs.

Are there any other sellers who deal with more "normal" eggs?

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

Yes I have seen Eon's fossil eggs on Ebay. They are very impressive, but far too expensive for me. His eggs are of an exceptional quality, or consist of a large clutch of eggs.

Beware those that are "too inexpensive".

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

i know a fossil dealer in beijing (i dont think he has a website). apparently he has this beautiful white hadrosaur egg that's around $300. i've inspected it, and it is real. given that i already have a hadrosaur egg, i left it without buying it (instead bought a crocodile skull :P). i think it's still there, but i'm absolutely amazed how people can sneak various fossils out of chinese borders. too much illegal actions i guess :(

and hey there homie, im singaporean too B) i know i feel your pain lahh :P

dont hate me but im with the chinese gov on this one. it's not like morocco where they actually allow fossils to be sold out to tourists. -_-

Edited by fossil maniac

i know a fossil dealer in beijing (i dont think he has a website). apparently he has this beautiful white hadrosaur egg that's around $300. i've inspected it, and it is real. given that i already have a hadrosaur egg, i left it without buying it (instead bought a crocodile skull :P). i think it's still there, but i'm absolutely amazed how people can sneak various fossils out of chinese borders. too much illegal actions i guess :(

and hey there homie, im singaporean too B) i know i feel your pain lahh :P

dont hate me but im with the chinese gov on this one. it's not like morocco where they actually allow fossils to be sold out to tourists. -_-

Ooh what a surprise to meet another Singaporean here. Don't see much of a fossil community in SG leh.

I 've wanted a croc skull for quite some time, but I am worried about getting one from Ebay, as AVA might confiscate it. They confiscated my meg tooth claiming it belonged to an endangered shark...it was like, "How do you know this tooth which you claim to belong to the Megalodon isn't truly extinct, but is simply badly endangered?"

I had to throw wikipedia page of Megalodon at them to convince them...wasted so much of my time.

Ooh what a surprise to meet another Singaporean here. Don't see much of a fossil community in SG leh.

I 've wanted a croc skull for quite some time, but I am worried about getting one from Ebay, as AVA might confiscate it. They confiscated my meg tooth claiming it belonged to an endangered shark...it was like, "How do you know this tooth which you claim to belong to the Megalodon isn't truly extinct, but is simply badly endangered?"

I had to throw wikipedia page of Megalodon at them to convince them...wasted so much of my time.

ehh. ebay isn't a good site mah. they sell lots of fakes (and some are very obvious) ^_^ . i use fossilshack.com or i go to stores located around beijing. and yeap, you don't find a lot of fossils anywhere in singapura :P tried to search for some. only found the natural history museum :mellow: . ahh i miss durian :( it's been a year.

anyways. i suggest you to go to the original hotbed for the fossils you want. lets say you want another meg tooth. i got mine in west coast, USA. lots of em there :P pretty cheap and real. ;)

Hi fossil maniac & FireEel!

I am Singaporean too =)

Nice to know that there are other locals that like fossils as well!

I bought from Eons! Lowell is a great seller! Bought from him a few fossil eggs!

Hi regainfreedom!

What eggs did you buy from Eons?

Any of you happen to know Calvin Chu? He's a Singaporean too, and he has an extremely impressive fossil collection - A huge display cabinet and shelves dedicated to fossils. Spent hours at his place looking through his collection.

PS: How do I add someone as a friend?

Edited by FireEel

• 3 months later...
  • New Members

Hi FireEel, Fossil Maniac, and Regain freedom,

Great to find you guys here. I'm the Singaporean Calvin that FireEel was so kind to have mentioned, and am sorry to be late to the party!

Agreed with Auspex that the surrounding conditions before making an egg investment are important: Right price, right seller, right provenance. In addition, I find that you can sometimes tell a fake from the physical characteristics of the specimen too. Have blogged abt some tips before here http://fossilcollector.wordpress.com/2010/11/15/fakes/ which I hope you'll find helpful!

But these things take practice (exactly as described in the book Blink), for even technical experts have been fooled.

The best practice is to handle and inspect close up as many real specimens you can get your hands on. I have a few egg specimens myself so you're welcome to register yourselves to my blog for free so I can invite you to my next open house!

Thanks everyone,

Calvin Chu

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, good comments here. Just wanted to add my two cents. Lowell was a great source of good quality stuff. Have purchased from him when at MAPs at Macomb IL, and seen his stuff at Tucson. This year past not much there at Tucson from him, and have not seen much on his Ebay store. In fact amount seems way down in general on internet. Not sure if source is cut off from China and such or what is going on. Lowell could probably say. I wondered since I traded/sold my collection of eggs as I was moving my dinosaur stuff and going to just trilobites and crinoids after 20 years. I had gotten some nice ones in past off internet but personal hands on inspection cannot be beat as mentioned here...

Russ

So "Dino Russ" is becoming "Trilo Russ"?

Brent Ashcraft

Pretty much. I was always into trilobites and crinoids before dinoruss so I never lost that part. But I am done with dinosaur stuff. Dino Russ's Lair is no more (it sorta hangs on .mac but that is going away as are the goddady names I rented which expire this month). I am pretty much done digging unless someone pays me to come out west. Much of my digging was done through funds from participants in my many digs and then helping friend in Montana last few years til he really did not have funds to pay for me to come out which costs me close to $1000 round trip most times (well $800 at least and now with gas prices alone over $600!!!)

My hobbies have to pay for themselves, why I have a rock, mineral and fossil business with a colleague at ISGS, and a second fossil business with his friend in Streator Il (Paleo-Pix.net) and our partner in Morocco. The first business now pays for us to go to Tucson each January and February at least and collect coming and going. Once my ISGS friend retires in 2 more years then we will probably have more trips (Joes Jems)

So Triloruss was always my other alter ego and dinoruss is one that is probably ending unless my friends in Montana or Utah find funds one day to do more digging which I would be glad to help with.

Russ, aka triloruss <grin>

So "Dino Russ" is becoming "Trilo Russ"?

Brent Ashcraft

I also traded my extensive dinosaur collection with nice psittacosaurus, many dinosaur eggs from China and elsewhere, bones from out west and models and such to my partner in Streator for a bunch of cool rare trilobites so he has the dinoruss collection now.

So dinoruss is only in my email and license plate but that is about it in terms of dinosaur work unless something changes with my contacts out west....

I believe Lowell has moved away from fossils recently. He seems to be focusing on things like space rocks and what not. It is a shame. I have done business with him on a few occasions.

Thanks to China, the prices on things like eggs seem to be shooting up quickly. I bought a clutch from Lowell a few years ago. I wouldn't be able to get anywhere near the price on similar clutches now.

I always liked doing business with him. He usually found a way to make me feel better about spending the money.... :)

I believe Lowell has moved away from fossils recently. He seems to be focusing on things like space rocks and what not. It is a shame. I have done business with him on a few occasions.

Thanks to China, the prices on things like eggs seem to be shooting up quickly. I bought a clutch from Lowell a few years ago. I wouldn't be able to get anywhere near the price on similar clutches now.

I always liked doing business with him. He usually found a way to make me feel better about spending the money.... :)

His eggs were always of a better quality also than many, I found a couple good sources elsewhere also in past but they too are long gone... although my egg collection is also.

I also traded my extensive dinosaur collection with nice psittacosaurus, many dinosaur eggs from China and elsewhere, bones from out west and models and such to my partner in Streator for a bunch of cool rare trilobites so he has the dinoruss collection now.

So dinoruss is only in my email and license plate but that is about it in terms of dinosaur work unless something changes with my contacts out west....

So no hope for the McNairy sandstone in Southern Illinois?

ashcraft, brent allen

So no hope for the McNairy sandstone in Southern Illinois?

Probably not but then whoever finds it I suspect it will be a thing of chance just like the Missouri Chronister dino site. That was a well that hit just the right spont.

After looking at many McNairy exposures it seems that the right spot has not yet been found. I likely will not be the one since I am busy with trilobites and such. Even field work in Illinois costs. As a retiree they told me at ISGS that any work I did was on my own dime. Lot of thanks for 34 years of work, but then the budget is tight. So I really do not have the expenses to keep up the search. I have to spent my dime on something I want -- trilobites or crinoids <grin>

russ

Probably not but then whoever finds it I suspect it will be a thing of chance just like the Missouri Chronister dino site. That was a well that hit just the right spont.

After looking at many McNairy exposures it seems that the right spot has not yet been found. I likely will not be the one since I am busy with trilobites and such. Even field work in Illinois costs. As a retiree they told me at ISGS that any work I did was on my own dime. Lot of thanks for 34 years of work, but then the budget is tight. So I really do not have the expenses to keep up the search. I have to spent my dime on something I want -- trilobites or crinoids <grin>

russ

I'll keep looking for both of us. Dr. Stinchcomb found a small trackway in a McNairy outcrop near Ardeola that he was able to collect. I saw one a little higher up in a clay band, associated with some leaf imprints, that appeared to be a coot, or coot like. Too sandy to collect though.

Brent Ashcraft

ashcraft, brent allen

I'll keep looking for both of us. Dr. Stinchcomb found a small trackway in a McNairy outcrop near Ardeola that he was able to collect. I saw one a little higher up in a clay band, associated with some leaf imprints, that appeared to be a coot, or coot like. Too sandy to collect though.

Brent Ashcraft

Yeah, Joe and I were invited to Bruce's site at Areola, that is a cool site. Maybe still will visit someday but I have so many other irons in fire, you may have to do it for me <grin>

Hi fossil maniac & FireEel!

I am Singaporean too =)

Nice to know that there are other locals that like fossils as well!

I bought from Eons! Lowell is a great seller! Bought from him a few fossil eggs!

ahh im in singapore right now! XD im going to universal studios tmrw... i heard its rly fun.

anyways... the diggers get into quite a lot of trouble digging the fossils up! :mellow: a dealer told me that a friend from a local village was sentenced to jail for approx 20 years for secretly digging up dinosaur eggs without permission... dang.. :( must be harsh for them.