Fossil Eggs On Ebay?

-Andy-

ahh im in singapore right now! XD im going to universal studios tmrw... i heard its rly fun.

anyways... the diggers get into quite a lot of trouble digging the fossils up! :mellow: a dealer told me that a friend from a local village was sentenced to jail for approx 20 years for secretly digging up dinosaur eggs without permission... dang.. :( must be harsh for them.

Probably explains what is going on. Back 2 years or more I kept hearing 0h they are cracking down on sale/digging of dino eggs in china -- usually from dealer selling eggs -- get yours now while you can. took that with grain of salt. But it appears that was true for in last couple years it really has died down and the amount of decent and any eggs has all but dried up in most places. Probably some old inventory of more common ones (segnosaurs and hadrosaurs).

Maybe another reason Lowell got out? Could not get as many or maybe sales were down. While I am in two businesses (Joes Jems) that sells minerals, fossils and one doing fossil photos and fossils (trilobites, crinoids, and more) (paleo-pix.net) I do not think anyone could plan on easily making a living on just selling fossils -- minerals sell better. I got into this with two friends to pay for my fossil hobby and trips -- and it helps but not gonna make me rich either <grin>. So the eggs may have not sold as well (market glutted with chinese hadrosaurs) and government did finally crack down? Who knows, but it is hard now to get eggs if you want them.

Probably explains what is going on. Back 2 years or more I kept hearing 0h they are cracking down on sale/digging of dino eggs in china -- usually from dealer selling eggs -- get yours now while you can. took that with grain of salt. But it appears that was true for in last couple years it really has died down and the amount of decent and any eggs has all but dried up in most places. Probably some old inventory of more common ones (segnosaurs and hadrosaurs).

Maybe another reason Lowell got out? Could not get as many or maybe sales were down. While I am in two businesses (Joes Jems) that sells minerals, fossils and one doing fossil photos and fossils (trilobites, crinoids, and more) (paleo-pix.net) I do not think anyone could plan on easily making a living on just selling fossils -- minerals sell better. I got into this with two friends to pay for my fossil hobby and trips -- and it helps but not gonna make me rich either <grin>. So the eggs may have not sold as well (market glutted with chinese hadrosaurs) and government did finally crack down? Who knows, but it is hard now to get eggs if you want them.

I had heard of the crackdown as well which is why I got my clutch when I did. I also got it for A LOT cheaper than prices I have seen recently. I am glad I moved on them when I did.

I also agree that China's policy may have affected Lowell. His inventory has shifted quite a bit. The economy may have hurt a bit also. It might be tough to move a 30,000 dollar clutch of eggs right now.

Yes prices are way up. Lowell had a lot of singles, doubles, and such. Those are gone also. He used to have at least three locations at Tucson and I did not see those this year. His main spot was minerals and things like ammonites.

Yes prices are way up. Lowell had a lot of singles, doubles, and such. Those are gone also. He used to have at least three locations at Tucson and I did not see those this year. His main spot was minerals and things like ammonites.

from my view i think he's taking the safe side. i think he noticed that selling vertebrate or important chinese fossils outside of china is illegal. :o

from my view i think he's taking the safe side. i think he noticed that selling vertebrate or important chinese fossils outside of china is illegal. :o

Well when I first started purchasing eggs (in the collection I recently traded away for trilobites) I knew that if a supplier/dealer had the right contacts they were paying "fees" (we call them bribes in our culture) to certain officcials to collect and sell. They were getting cuts. Something changed though in last couple years. Not enough sales of eggs here (maybe hadrosaur and such were glutted) and dealers got out. Or maybe chinese government got tougher on selling eggs (or "fees" went up to high). Whatever the case they seem cut off, and very little is seen ow. I bet what little you now see on internet is from old purchases. I think the direct supply is cut off or greatly diminished!

Well when I first started purchasing eggs (in the collection I recently traded away for trilobites) I knew that if a supplier/dealer had the right contacts they were paying "fees" (we call them bribes in our culture) to certain officcials to collect and sell. They were getting cuts. Something changed though in last couple years. Not enough sales of eggs here (maybe hadrosaur and such were glutted) and dealers got out. Or maybe chinese government got tougher on selling eggs (or "fees" went up to high). Whatever the case they seem cut off, and very little is seen ow. I bet what little you now see on internet is from old purchases. I think the direct supply is cut off or greatly diminished!

indeed... -_-