April 2011 Finds Of The Month

JohnJ

After a record number of votes were cast for last month's museum grade fossils, I wonder what we will get the chance to see this month! :)

The objective is to have fun. So carefully read the rules below, and go make some great finds! Entries will be taken through April 30th. Please let us know if you have any questions, and thanks for sharing more of your fossils and research this month.

To view the Winning Fossils from past contests visit the Find Of The Month Winner's Gallery.

____________________________________________________________________________________

Rules for The Fossil Forum's Vertebrate and Invertebrate/Plant Find of the Month Contests

1. You find a great Vertebrate Fossil or Invertebrate/Plant Fossil! Only fossils found by you.

2. Post your entry in the Find of the Month topic. Use a separate post for each entry.

3. Your Fossil must have been found during the Month of the Contest, or the significant Preparation of your Fossil must have been

completed during the Month of the Contest.

4. You must include the Date of your Discovery or the Date of Preparation Completion.

5. You must include the common or scientific name.

6. You must include the Geologic Age or Geologic Formation where the Fossil was found.

7. Play fair. No bought fossils.

Shortly after the end of the Month, separate Polls will be created for the Vertebrate and Invertebrate/Plant Find of the Month. The maximum entries allowed by the Polling software will be selected for each contest by the staff.

In addition to the fun of a contest, we also want to learn more about the Fossils. So, only entries posted with a CLEAR photo and that meet the other guidelines will be placed into the Poll.

Within a few days, we will know the two winning Finds of the Month! Now, go find your fossil, do your research, and make an entry!

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Woah guys! Slow down, we might get to many entries this month! XD

-Shamus

The Ordovician enthusiast.

wow, i bet if i were to enter a shell that is 1mm across i would win this month... :zzzzscratchchin::rofl:

hehe! Your right! XD

-Shamus

The Ordovician enthusiast.

hehe! Your right! XD

lol How bout I enter this guy to spice things up a bit?

Species:Ulrichicrinus coryphaeus

Date found Aug. 21st, 2010

Date of preparation completion: April 9, 2011

Geological age: Mississippian

post-1179-0-41420600-1302663855_thumb.jpg

As they say here in Texas, "I tell you what, the month ain't over yet!"

Here is my entry Ichno fossil... found Apr 10, 2011.The Late Devonian Period in particular the Kettle Point formation is generally devoid of fossils characteristic of anoxic deep water enviroment... how ever, there are certain pockets that do contain fossils and are always interesting to look at,,, found in Black Shale at Kettle Point ON located some 200 ft from shore in an area by a land spit that is normally submerged with water...... shortly after I picked up this fossil Lake Huron flooded the area where I was hunting.....

ROM ID:

"initial reaction based just on the photos is that these are trace fossils ... burrow fills of oxidized material that have been highly compressed during dewatering of the organic mud matrix - only way to tell would be to look at thin sections"

PL

post-2446-0-53927600-1302886914_thumb.jpg

post-2446-0-74244500-1302887541_thumb.jpg

Edited by pleecan

Here is my entry... found Apr 10, 2011.The Late Devonian Period in particular the Kettle Point formation is generally devoid of fossils characteristic of anoxic deep water enviroment... how ever, there are certain pockets that do contain fossils and are always interesting to look at,,, so here is what I think is a plant ( aquatic or land) found in Black Shale at Kettle Point ON located some 200 ft from shore in an area by a land spit that is normally submerged with water...... shortly after I picked up this fossil Lake Huron flooded the area where I was hunting.....

Sound more like a rescue, rather than a fossil hunt. :D Peter, have you had the ID confirmed?

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Sound more like a rescue, rather than a fossil hunt. :D Peter, have you had the ID confirmed?

Not yet John ... hoping to get one before the end of the month .... else , will pull the entry.

What started as a slow walk became a semi jog as the waves came rushing in 20 ft behind me.

P L

Edited by pleecan

Here's my entry for Invertebrate Fossil of the Month for April. This specimen was collected on April 15 and is the first Hemipteran (true bug) of this type that I have seen from the Allenby Formation. As luck would have it, I found another similar specimen only moments after this one and had to really think about which would be my entry. This specimen is from the Coalmont Road Site and is Lower Middle Eocene in age.

Here's a photo of the part and counterpart side by side.

post-2629-0-53463700-1303011769_thumb.jpg This specimen is 14mm in length.

Here are some closer photos of the part and counterpart.

post-2629-0-29802900-1303011788_thumb.jpgpost-2629-0-73676900-1303011794_thumb.jpg

I really like the color patterns that are preserved on both the antennae and the abdomen. If you examine the closeup photo of the part you can see the proboscis and the fine pits on the wing covers..

I'm really excited about this specimen and think it is one of the best insects that have come from the Allenby Formation.

I'm really excited about this specimen and think it is one of the best insects that have come from the Allenby Formation.

Another fantastic fossil Dan! You could certainly win FOTM again with this one. Hopefully I will find a great entry later this collecting season although we have more plants than insects here in Oregon so I doubt I will ever run into anything as fabulous. How exciting to add such a magnificent specimen to your collection!

Congratulations !! :thumbsu:

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

Here's my entry for Invertebrate Fossil of the Month for April. This specimen was collected on April 15 and is the first Hemipteran (true bug) of this type that I have seen from the Allenby Formation. As luck would have it, I found another similar specimen only moments after this one and had to really think about which would be my entry. This specimen is from the Coalmont Road Site and is Lower Middle Eocene in age.

Here's a photo of the part and counterpart side by side.

post-2629-0-53463700-1303011769_thumb.jpg This specimen is 14mm in length.

Here are some closer photos of the part and counterpart.

post-2629-0-29802900-1303011788_thumb.jpgpost-2629-0-73676900-1303011794_thumb.jpg

I really like the color patterns that are preserved on both the antennae and the abdomen. If you examine the closeup photo of the part you can see the proboscis and the fine pits on the wing covers..

Dang, you win the IPFOTM from me right now.

And yet I still have nothing to enter...

The month is half done already. Are we recieving too FEW entries this time? :blink:

What a wonderful menagerie! Who would believe that such as register lay buried in the strata? To open the leaves, to unroll the papyrus, has been an intensely interesting though difficult work, having all the excitement and marvelous development of a romance. And yet the volume is only partly read. Many a new page I fancy will yet be opened. -- Edward Hitchcock, 1858

Formerly known on the forum as Crimsonraptor

@Diplotomodon on Twitter

Late Devonian Land Plant entry Callixylon newberryi: Segmented plant stalk, with carbonized fragments still intact in Black Shale from Kettle Point Formation.

The plant reminds me of Bamboo.... found Apr 10, 2011 in an area that is normally flooded with water... about 200' from shore on Lake Huron by a land spit.

ID has now been confirmed by ROM and concurs with Piranha (Scott) id.

Further more email received this morning:

"Weak, episodic oxygenation events are recorded by bioturbated horizons characterized by such ichnofossils as Chrondrites and Planolites, and widespread sulphate reduction is recorded by the presence of abundant marcasite." (Tsujita, Tetreault & Jin, 2001)

The pale traces in your sample closely match Chondrites in general configuration. I've also seen similar traces in core samples from the KP - intervals of flattened burrows with light grey fills sharply contrasting with the black background of unoxidized organic-rich shale.

end of quote

IMG03223.jpg

Close up 4x Plan objective

11-04-17_172748_MB_R4_S2.jpg

11-04-17_165303_MB_R4_S2.jpg

Edited by pleecan

Late Devonian Land Plant entry : Segmented plant stalk, with carbonized fragments still intact in Black Shale from Kettle Point Formation.

The plant reminds me of Bamboo.... found Apr 10, 2011 in an area that is normally flooded with water... about 200' from shore on Lake Huron by a land spit.

Nice Peter! It is a Callixylon newberryi. I posted one almost identical and from nearly the same latitude of Alpena Michigan at your Devonian wood/plant thread recently. I still like the first entry best.

LINK

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

Nice Peter! It is a Callixylon newberryi. I posted one almost identical and from nearly the same latitude of Alpena Michigan at your Devonian wood/plant thread recently. I still like the first entry best.

LINK

Thanks for the ID Scott! I was told that Callixylon exists at kettle Point and was told to look for something that resembles bamboo.... At least I have one entry for this month.... this is my first time finding wood at Kettle Point Formation.

Peter

Alright,

I'm pretty excited to have my very first entry for VFOTM. The specimen was found on Sunday April 17, 2011. It comes from the Lower Middle Eocene Allenby Formation near Princeton, British Columbia. I haven't a clue as to the identification of this specimen as they are extremely rare and this is the first one I have ever collected!!!!!

post-2629-0-02536700-1303271745_thumb.jpgpost-2629-0-23388200-1303271753_thumb.jpg Unknown Bird Feather Fragment (part and counterpart). Larger fragment is 20mm long.

Any comments Chas?

Edited by palaeopix

...gimme a minute to fully regain consciousness...

Congratulations! It's beautiful :wub:

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Dan you are going to clean up the competition this month with your wild entries/ discoveries : )

PL

Wow! With such nice fossils already, im glad i dont have anything to enter with!!! I havent hunted since last summer, but come this june I may put in an entry. Best of luck to everybody this month.

RB

I did not find this but my son "Hopper15" did and the pictures are on my computer. I told him I would post for him. This fossil has not been positively ID yet but appears to be a jaw and teeth of a fish, amphibian, or reptile. Found at the clay pit in Central Tx in what on the map is on the line between Pensylvanian and Permian.

post-3664-0-43803900-1303420805_thumb.jpg

post-3664-0-09326300-1303420822_thumb.jpg

post-3664-0-28013500-1303420839_thumb.jpg

post-3664-0-01299300-1303420878_thumb.jpg

congrats to Hopper15, thats one cool find!:Bananasaur:

"Your serpent of Egypt is bred now of your mud by the operation of your sun; so is your crocodile." Lepidus

Here goes, my first entry ever into the Find of The Month and I must say from the get go that it has to be one of the ugliest fossil shark teeth I have ever seen! It is quite pathological and I question whether this tooth ever made it out of the sharks gum.

Found - April 14th 2011

Identity - Pathological Carcharocles Angustidens

Age - Oligocene

Formation - Chandler Bridge

Location - Summerville, SC

post-4422-0-58399200-1303514746_thumb.jpg

post-4422-0-89433100-1303515238_thumb.jpg

post-4422-0-17436400-1303515265_thumb.jpg

post-4422-0-26591100-1303515286_thumb.jpg

Here goes, my first entry ever into the Find of The Month and I must say from the get go that it has to be one of the ugliest fossil shark teeth I have ever seen! It is quite pathological and I question whether this tooth ever made it out of the sharks gum.

Found - April 14th 2011

Identity - Pathological Carcharocles Angustidens

Age - Oligocene

Formation - Chandler Bridge

Location - Summerville, SC

Interesting Almost looks like it was a malformation of some sort maybe from a genetic mutation or disease?