Florida Fossil Sites

Paleo-shark_hunter

Does anyone know of any great/rich fossil sites near central Florida?

"Re-living History, one piece at a time..."

:) If they do,there not telling.They might help with a site,but rarely do they post their honey holes. :D

Bear-dog.

:) If they do,there not telling.They might help with a site,but rarely do they post their honey holes. :D

Oh ok, thanks anyway :)

I enjoyed digging in rattlesnake creek in gainesville (: found a lot of shark teeth, a really nice big hemi, and a small meg with the root broken off

Fossil hunting from dawn til' dusk!

:) It's nothing personal but hunters have to know you more,before they share the good spots.You just have to imagine having a great site known by you and maybe a friend.Tell it to someone,and on your next return having to call in an appt.to get to dig there.

Hopefully a number of people will share a few ok sites for you. :D

Bear-dog.

I would like to know the same thing. I am from CFL too and would love to go searching for things.

The single BEST thing for me (and likely for every new fossil addict is join your local fossil club -- There are people there who would LOVE to help you -- go talk to them -- about their trips, about their finds. I did

OrlandoFossilClub

May 14-15, 2011

Peace River Dig Weekend Info in the April Newsletter

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

The single BEST thing for me (and likely for every new fossil addict is join your local fossil club -- There are people there who would LOVE to help you -- go talk to them -- about their trips, about their finds. I did

OrlandoFossilClub

May 14-15, 2011

:) I wasen't being rude here.They dont understand what the're asking.Everyone here would be helpful in tossing them a bone.They are asking for your best sites.My suicide site was a result of 3 years of research,and months of exploring not to mention the number of tanks used before I hit something.

If they change the question to can anyone help with some sites in the --- area they might be more sucessful. :D There's notthing more rewarding than to tell of a site and not be able to hunt again until everything is gone. :wacko:

Edited by bear-dog

Bear-dog.

Ok, does anyone know of anygood sites in central florida??

I can see your point If you were to give away your best sites :)

Thanks

:) Rock Springs Run at Kelly Park is a nice place to hunt. It's in Apopka. :D Edited by bear-dog

Bear-dog.

The worst thing is when you find a site and then the 'harvesters' come in and either clean it out, or cause enough damage that the owner bans everyone.

I had a nice 'temporary' spot and frankly, never told anyone the exact location, which is why I have some good fossils from there.

The best advice I can give (which I did in Florida)is drive around and look for sites where the ground has been disturbed by construction. The fossils below were found that way.

post-1313-0-09622600-1302800078_thumb.jpgpost-1313-0-53784900-1302799969_thumb.jpgpost-1313-0-01624700-1302799926_thumb.jpgpost-1313-0-74160600-1302799888_thumb.jpgpost-1313-0-18757600-1302799821_thumb.jpgpost-1313-0-28197000-1302799752_thumb.jpg

Edited by Frank Menser

Be true to the reality you create.

OrlandoFossilClub

May 14-15, 2011

Yeah, I have been wanting to join the Central Florida Gem and Mineral Society but since most of the activities are on Saturdays, and I work 10 hour days, I haven't felt like it. Their website http://www.thumblicker.com/ is down right now, how could I find out about joining the May 15th trip as it is on a Sunday?

• 2 weeks later...

my suggestion would be to go to some of the springs and/or their runs and look through there. But stay away from the state parks! I would strongly suggest the upper sections of the peace River, or the rainbow river.

Hours of driving-$100

New shovel-$25

screenbox-$15

Finding a shark tooth-Priceless

Yeah, I have been wanting to join the Central Florida Gem and Mineral Society but since most of the activities are on Saturdays, and I work 10 hour days, I haven't felt like it. Their website http://www.thumblicker.com/ is down right now, how could I find out about joining the May 15th trip as it is on a Sunday?

I do not know if it will work for you , but here is what I did 2 years ago as a newbie. The Fossil club of Lee County has it's monthly meetings on Thursday nights. I work and travel and so could make few of their meetings. I did make a couple and they have a show and tell session -- Many members talking about where they went ( not a lot of detail -- " found some gravel a mile below Wauchula..") At the time, I did not know what or where or how to spell "Wauchula". So I admired finds, and asked each whether they might take me on a trip sometime. A couple said no, a few said maybe, 2 said yes, and one called me 8 days later. From that start, I now go out with 7 or 8 different club members and have more offers than I can handle. I also signed up for some trips and got to know more club members.

There is a club in your area consisting of fossil hunters who combined know every good spot within 50 miles. You need to develop a strategy on how to tap that resource. Asking dumb novice type of questions is actually a strategy..

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"