Florida's Extinct State Animal?

Paleo-shark_hunter

I know that other states have state reptiles/mammals/fish that are extinct. I was wondering if Florida had some state extinct wildlife? If so, can you name some of them for me?

Thanks!

"Re-living History, one piece at a time..."

Florida has a "State Stone", which happens to be a fossil: agatized coral.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

:) Our state fossil is the shark tooth,so Megs come to mind.Most of the fossils found here are from extinct species.Bear dogs come to mind.[Go figure :D ]Im the very last one that I know of ,and I'm an old fossil my self. :lol:

Thought about it for a moment and it's official.The answer is[drumroll] snowbirds. :rofl:

Edited by bear-dog

Bear-dog.

Depends how long ago , and how unique

# Florida giant beaver Castoroides leiseyorum, Florida, USA, 11000 BC.

# Florida Short-faced Bear Tremarctos floridanus, USA, 8000 BC.

WikipediaLink

More recent extinctions:

My link

The Caribbean monk seal or West Indian monk seal (Monachus tropicalis) is an extinct species of seal. It is the only seal ever known to be native to the Caribbean Sea and the Gulf of Mexico. The last verified recorded sighting occurred in 1952 at Serranilla Bank.[1] On June 6, 2008, after five years of futile efforts to find or confirm sightings of any Caribbean monk seals, the U.S. government announced the species is officially extinct, and the only seal to vanish due to human causes.[2]

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

:) Neat to see the Swamp Rabbit listed.Have only seen one in my life.He was very curious and jumped really high if you clapped loudly,but would continue to explore.I wore myself out in no time playing with him. :D

Bear-dog.