Finding Terror Birds

Paleo-shark_hunter

I've been looking for Titanis fossils for a long time, does anyone know of any Florida sites that have a few remains from titanis? I also need to know how to identify a terror bird fossil. I would really appreciate that.

Thanks a million!!!

post-5434-0-98921100-1302287215_thumb.jpg

"Re-living History, one piece at a time..."

I wish you luck; all the Titanis fossils that have been found in Florida can be carried in your two hands. As for recognizing a Titanis bone, they have the same general features (excepting the vestigial wing bones) as other birds, just much bigger; "bone up" on avian osteology and you'll have the fundamentals.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I wish you luck; all the Titanis fossils that have been found in Florida can be carried in your two hands. As for recognizing a Titanis bone, they have the same general features (excepting the vestigial wing bones) as other birds, just much bigger; "bone up" on avian osteology and you'll have the fundamentals.

Is there anywhere specific in Florida that has a higher population, or more people have had more luck there?

Thanks

You need to hunt sites that produce Late Pliocene, or I should say specifically Blancan-age, vertebrates. The Pleistocene was recently extended to include what used to be part of the Pliocene (Gelasian stage). Titanis is not known from Irvingtonian-age (once Early Pleistocene, now more like Middle Pleistocene) sites. Geologically, that's a narrow time window. You start with books on Florida fossils or fossil birds (or simply google it) to get the titles of the technical articles on Titanis which will give you at least general locality data and photos of studied specimens. Then, you need to determine if the sites are still open to collecting. As Auspex noted, Titanis material is super-rare. You probably already know that other collectors have been hunting for that for years and they already have an idea what it looks like and where to go. You're going to have to get very lucky even after you get to that point.

Depending on where you are in the state, one place to track down articles is the earth sciences library at the University of Florida in Gainesville (or you might find PDF's online). That's a great one. The library at USF (Tampa) is pretty good too.

I've been looking for Titanis fossils for a long time, does anyone know of any Florida sites that have a few remains from titanis? I also need to know how to identify a terror bird fossil. I would really appreciate that.

Thanks a million!!!

post-5434-0-98921100-1302287215_thumb.jpg

I'll agree with what's been said. After you've figured out places to hunt, you must familiarize yourself with avian osteology. The more of it you can actually learn, the more likely you will be able to recognize a piece of bird bone. From a Wyoming point of view, we have one out here, too. Diatryma is an Eocene oversized bird. There are only a few skeletons, but there are also a lot of people working in the Eocene rocks of Wyoming, and who have been for decades, and these things rarely turn up. Even as isolated parts and pieces.

Good Luck

Just one more thing: Dibs. ;)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

Aaaaaand, >THIS<!

We happen to have a member with a T. walleri claw in his collection (the link is to Harry Pristis' gallery entry).

It says the best place to find them is in the Santa fe river in the Gilchrist country, thanks :D

auspex...I'll send you the second skeleton I find... :)

What a guy!

Texas..... sorry, I couldn't resist.

post-534-0-19079500-1302452063_thumb.jpg

Are those eggs??????

:startle:

Are those eggs??????

:startle:

Makes you wonder, doesn't it? Texas terror bird or egg shaped concretions....... ;)

• 2 weeks later...