Little Tooth, Big Root

Serack

I've found several pointy "lemon like" teeth that had a more knobby root that I figured were from a different species but didn't think I could ID, but this one has a much more distinctive look to it so I thought I'd post it hoping someone would recognize it.

post-462-1214099103_thumb.jpg

post-462-1214099115_thumb.jpg

post-462-1214099126_thumb.jpg

I couldn't find anything with a root structure like this one on elasmo but I am wondering if maybe this is one of those odd teeth from the middle of the sharks mouth...

Guest bmorefossil
I couldn't find anything with a root structure like this one on elasmo but I am wondering if maybe this is one of those odd teeth from the middle of the sharks mouth...

yea i think your right i have a few that look like it from the center of a sharks mouth. I dont know any more than that

you lost me at parasymphaseal...

I have never seen a cow shark tooth, but I'm pretty sure that none of the pics I've seen had nutrient grooves.

you lost me at parasymphaseal...

I have never seen a cow shark tooth, but I'm pretty sure that none of the pics I've seen had nutrient grooves.

Seems me that the american call cow shark at hexanquiforms shark, as Hexanchus, Notorhynchus, Heptanchrias... and they have symphiseal tooth in their below mandible, like this:

Above parasymphiseal cow shark teeths are diferent in my opinion of yout teeth.

Look at the gallery, a lot of cow sharks teeth are there .

Strange tooth, yes :blush:

post-41-1214122162_thumb.jpg

The more I look at it, the wierder it is. Beyond the huge root, the lingual surface, at the base of the enamel, seems rather broad and flat. I'm at a loss.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

So what is a parasymphiseal tooth?

Knowing I dont speak correclty the english language I try to explain you: symphisis is the union or center of the two mandible bones... more or less

the symphiseal tooth is the symmetrycal tooth that occupes the exact center of the complet mandible, exaclty in the union of two bones, usually in the lower mandible.

For the upper mandible not symphiseal tooth there, but the first tooth of each bone would be the parasymphiseal tooth.

I hope that help you, if not, look some webs where have showed sharks mandiles

:blush:

That is perfectly clear to me, MB, thank you!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

Guest bmorefossil

the tooth on the bottom left is the closest i have to the tooth, it has everything the same except for the parts of the roots that are flattened

post-17-1214160576_thumb.jpg

I wonder whether the difference in the root might be that the tooth in question is a "death" tooth, rather than shed tooth?

Guest bmorefossil
I wonder whether the difference in the root might be that the tooth in question is a "death" tooth, rather than shed tooth?

oooo you may have a point!!!! i never thought about that

Death tooth? What's that?

The tooth in question has some of the characteristics of an angel shark tooth, as has already been suggested.

Besides fossils,

I collect roadcuts,

Stream beds,

Winter beaches:

Places of pilgrimage.

Jasper Burns, Fossil Dreams

Guest bmorefossil

The tooth in question has some of the characteristics of an angel shark tooth, as has already been suggested.

instead of the tooth coming out from feeding, the tooth comes out as the shark decomposes

instead of the tooth coming out from feeding, the tooth comes out as the shark decomposes

Does that make a significant difference in the shape of the root?

Besides fossils,

I collect roadcuts,

Stream beds,

Winter beaches:

Places of pilgrimage.

Jasper Burns, Fossil Dreams

Guest bmorefossil
Does that make a significant difference in the shape of the root?

yes sometimes you can find teeth with extra little pieces on it that you wouldn't find from a tooth that is pulled out

Most sharks are continuously replacing teeth; the replacements develop in rows, lingual to the row in use and ready to move into place. One of the reasons that there are so many fossil sharks teeth is that individual sharks shed many hundreds of them during their life. My thought was that the teeth that are in a shark's mouth when it dies might have a different looking root, compared to a shed tooth.

Knowing I dont speak correclty the english language I try to explain you: symphisis is the union or center of the two mandible bones... more or less

the symphiseal tooth is the symmetrycal tooth that occupes the exact center of the complet mandible, exaclty in the union of two bones, usually in the lower mandible.

For the upper mandible not symphiseal tooth there, but the first tooth of each bone would be the parasymphiseal tooth.

I hope that help you, if not, look some webs where have showed sharks mandiles

:blush:

Thanks perfectly clear. Occasionally your syntax is a little off, but in text the meaning is almost always still clear. I envy those who are bilingual.

parasymphiseal is probably the reason for its odd shape.

the angel shark teeth in elasmo have a root structure that allows them to stand up while this definitely can not