Whale Of A Find!

Pool Man

Hi all,

I've been been finding a large amount of fragmented bones recently in my Pliocene shelly layer,here in Sarasota. At first I wasn't sure what I was looking at, but the find included two whale ear bones.They are broken up pretty badly but I was able to repair them some. I believe I have parts of the skull also(very fragmented).

post-148-1214134627_thumb.jpg post-148-1214134634_thumb.jpg post-148-1214134640_thumb.jpg post-148-1214134645_thumb.jpg

Here's what I think are the skull parts.

post-148-1214134686_thumb.jpgpost-148-1214134702_thumb.jpg

Just wanted to see if I'm right on the skull parts and if anyone can ID it more specificly then just Whale.

I also have found what I believe is a whale Humerus and possibly radius.

post-148-1214135406_thumb.jpg post-148-1214135335_thumb.jpg post-148-1214135345_thumb.jpg post-148-1214135362_thumb.jpg

Here's a close up of heavy predation marks on the bone.post-148-1214135353_thumb.jpg

Last one.....

I believe this is the reason for the heavily chewed up bones.post-148-1214135710_thumb.jpg This guy was found directly under the reconstructed bone and shows the black and white pattern that most of the bones have. and finally the most recent part of this whale is a Vert. in decent shape.post-148-1214135865_thumb.jpgpost-148-1214135913_thumb.jpg

So, I believe I've found a whale :o

Guest bmorefossil
Last one.....

I believe this is the reason for the heavily chewed up bones.post-148-1214135710_thumb.jpg This guy was found directly under the reconstructed bone and shows the black and white pattern that most of the bones have. and finally the most recent part of this whale is a Vert. in decent shape.post-148-1214135865_thumb.jpgpost-148-1214135913_thumb.jpg

So, I believe I've found a whale :o

wow great stuff man!!!!!

Fantastic! How much of it do you think is there?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Guest solius symbiosus

The associated predation makes this one especially cool. I hope you recover the whole thing.

Not sure yet. Everything is broken up or very crumbly. But everything I've shown was found within about 4 square feet. So I'm betting there's more out there. Now if I can just convince my wife that we need to get a few sheep,then I could dig more and cut my grass less..

Hi all,

From the tympanic, it is pretty clear that your whale belongs to the "Burtinopsis" morphotype, which is a small group of fossil species within the extant genus Balaenoptera. Doesn't look like the skull bones can do all that much past that.

Bobby

Thanks Bobby!, I was hoping you'd see this ......... I was able to dig some today with no new whale parts, so I have to dig in the other direction next trip.

Thanks everyone,

Dan