Chesapecten Sp.

Matt_WMB

• New Members

Can anyone help me understand how to distinguish between the various species of Chesapecten, specifically jeffersonius, madisonius, and middlesexensis? I live along the James River in Virginia (Yorktown Formation) and would like to specifically ID what I am finding. Are there any other Chesapecten species I could expect to find here? For bonus points, can anyone recomeend a good field guide to the fossils of my region?

Matt

Hey Matt- All I know is that c. jeffersonius has about 10 ribs in the shell while c. madisonius has somewhere around twice that. Pop into the geology dept. at William and Mary and ask some questions. Good luck, Chris

Check out USGS Professional Paper 861 by Ward and Blackwelder describing the different species of Chesapecten. It is a free download from Google Books. I tried to attach it but it is too large.

Mike

"A problem solved is a problem caused"--Karl Pilkington

"I was dead for millions of years before I was born and it never inconvenienced me a bit." -- Mark Twain

• New Members

Thanks for the info everyone!

@cck: Hopefully will get a chance to pop into W&M once this current semester ends and frees up a little time.

• New Members

P.S. Mike, could you by any chance post a link to what you mentioned. I seem to be having a hard time finding it on google books.