Party Time In My Favorite Ech-quarry!

Synechodus

I had saved up some overtime and went to one of my favorite ech-quarries the other day, hoping they had finally quit moving the overburden of clay and gravel and commenced with moving the chalk once more, knowing that the upper layers are prime Hemipneustes-beds.

And sure enough, they had cut a wedge into the upper layers so I put on my Hemipneustes-goggles and started my rampage.

Unfortunately, a downpour started about an hour into the hunt, but I hang in there as I had already found some 5 Hemipneustes in the first hour.

And boy did it pay off !

Not counting those that I left behind, because they were too badly damaged (over 20% damage to the test), the final tally gave 17 Hemipneustes in little over 3 hours, of which 10 showed no to minor flaws and the other 7 between 10 -20% damage to the test!

And all those within little over 3 hours; that averages to 1 Hemipneustes in every 10 minutes !

This must be close to a world record……

I found all just walking around, not a single specimen came from the cliff face.

One particularly nice one was completely washed out and just sat there, waiting for me in all its splendor. UNBELIEVABLE!

Shamer the batteries of my field-camera had died out on me moments earlier; but what I sight it was!

I do have some field-shots of prior finds for you to enjoy...

post-456-1214294332_thumb.jpg post-456-1214294323_thumb.jpg post-456-1214294341_thumb.jpg post-456-1214294349_thumb.jpg post-456-1214294361_thumb.jpg post-456-1214294372_thumb.jpg post-456-1214294388_thumb.jpg post-456-1214294400_thumb.jpg post-456-1214294416_thumb.jpg post-456-1214294441_thumb.jpg post-456-1214294452_thumb.jpg

"And the men who hold high places, Must be the ones to start

To mould a new reality, Closer to the Heart"

(Rush, "Closer to the Heart" from the album "A Farewell to Kings")

Some pics of all the "captives" @ home; the 8 ones to the right, see also second picture, are 98+% flawless, they just need a little brush-up ....

post-456-1214294772_thumb.jpg post-456-1214294779_thumb.jpg

You got love it when you find a place that

you are finding frequent echs! I would say

that quarry is a keeper...

Welcome to the forum!

That's cheating; results like that are supposed to come hard. What a great day, rain & all!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

That's cheating; results like that are supposed to come hard. What a great day, rain & all!

Believe me, this is a once in a lifetime hunt. Of that I am sure.

I left that quarry countless times without any Hemipneustes to show for it and trudging along in a quarry like this for 2 hours in a relentless downpour is not my idea of an easy day out.

So I do think I earned at least some of them... B)

I guess the bad weather and the fact that no one expected that they had already moved some of those Hemipneustes-bearing layers account for the low collecting pressure at the time so I could find as many as I did.

@ Roz; rest assured, that quarry is nr. 1 on my list!

You certainly paid your dues. They say that rare and unpredictable rewards are a more powerful motivator than clockwork pay-offs. I guess that's why they call it "fossil hunting", rather than "fossil gathering" (though the latter has a nice ring to it...).

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

Guest bmorefossil

wow very nice, i guess it was worth to stay around for that extra time. What happened to bending the rules to find something lol I wish it was this easy for me!!!!

Now that's my kind of gig!

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Guest N.AL.hunter

Man that must have been fun!! I'm sure you will remember that day for a long time. Looks like you might have some for trading soon?

Man that must have been fun!! I'm sure you will remember that day for a long time. Looks like you might have some for trading soon?

Sure was fun.

I pretty much always have Hemipneustes striatoradiatus and several other echinoids from my region and the rest of Western Europe on offer.

Just send me a PM and I am sure we can work something out.

Cheers,

Paul

Update: flew by there again yesterday, just to check on progress with excavations.

Could search only for some 20 minutes, but found three more in the same are that I found the others ........................... I am on a roll !!!!!....... B)

.............. I am on a roll !!!!!....... B)

Actually, to me, they look a little more like hot-cross-buns. (A little stale, though). :P

Actually, to me, they look a little more like hot-cross-buns. (A little stale, though). :P

Well, I know someone who said they reminded him of a former Italian girlfriend ........ B)

Well, I know someone who said they reminded him of a former Italian girlfriend ........ B)

Hahaha, someone we know from S. Carolina name starts with a 'R' ???

Like I told you before, those Hemipneustes are never there when I am around :( Hmmm typical.

Greetings from Norway!

Martijn

Qua patet orbis

Hmmmmm, maybe it has something to do wth that bald marine shave of yours which spooks them hahaha LOL.

JK it's all about being there at the right time, which is a lot easier for me than it is for you.....

Maybe you get lucky next time when you are over.

Take care, buddy.