Rare Jurassic Fossil

CambrianFossil

• New Members

During easter, I found this fossil in Norway. The substances are: Calcium carbonate(CaCO3), chalk, grey stone, porous mud inside.

No doubt this is a Calcium carbonate preserved fossil trought permineralization.

There is alot of small (3-5mm) Brachiopod fossils on it. I'm suspecting this fossil is from the Cambrian/Jurassic period. 50-500 million years ago.

My uncle told me that from chalk to grey stone it requires at least million of years to permineralizate. And also I'm suspecting this creature lived deep in the ocean because of the small clinging Brachiopod fossils.

The size is 29cm long and 14 cm wide. The weight is 5,2 kg. But I think the full origin size is even bigger because of the fragments and cracks on the backside.

What do you think about this? What kind of creature is this? And what's the rational value of this fossil? It's very rare and mysterious.

I will inquire with some archaeologist experts soon.

dinosaurskull_fossil_norway_2011.jpg

E442313-Fossil_brachiopods,_Dalmanella_&_Orthis_sp.-SPL.jpg?id=694420313

photo: sciencephoto.com

"Caption: Brachiopods. Assemblage of fossil brachiopods Dalmanella sp., from the Ordovician Period (500- 435 million years ago). Dalmanella sp. are seen as the ribbed shells; a few larger Orthis sp. shells are also present. Brachiopods are sessile marine invertebrates which have a bivalve shell and bear a number of ciliated tentacles around the mouth. Although the shell resembles that of other bivalve molluscs, the structure of the brachiopod body is quite different. Brachiopods were very common in Palaeozoic and Mesozoic times." ref: http://www.sciencephoto.com/images/download_lo_res.html?id=694420313

Edited by CambrianFossil

bit late for April fools dude ;)

No but seriously, can you take a detailed photo of the brachiopods? Can't see any.

Cambrian/jurassic, in between are triassic, devonian, carboniferous, etc etc. It is an awfully long time, maybe we can make a more precise estimate if we see some photo's.

• New Members

Sure, I will upload a more detail macro picture of the brachiopods fossils on it. Thoose are very small, my iphone wasn't good enough for macro pictures. I tried, but the results were to blurry for any definitions. :/

Edited by CambrianFossil

looks like vugular porosity in a piece of limestone. You might could convince yourself that there are some preserved algal mats in there.