Pyratized Fossils.

bear-dog

:) Have a small problem I need help with.A while back I found a couple of shiny[beautiful]pyratized shark coporalites in Alabama.I placed them in my to-do box and forgot them.Recently we were reunited and they weren't pretty anymore.They were very dull and tarnished.

Is there a way to remove the tarnish safely?Also is their something to put on them to prevent the tarnish?Thanks for any help offered. :D

Bear-dog.

how do they taste?

Presumably like pyritized poo.

Well, I don't know much about removing tarnish from fossils, but I can say that if they're pyritized in all likelihood they're gonna start oxidizing pretty soon, and you might need to do something about that.

What a wonderful menagerie! Who would believe that such as register lay buried in the strata? To open the leaves, to unroll the papyrus, has been an intensely interesting though difficult work, having all the excitement and marvelous development of a romance. And yet the volume is only partly read. Many a new page I fancy will yet be opened. -- Edward Hitchcock, 1858

Formerly known on the forum as Crimsonraptor

@Diplotomodon on Twitter

Presumably like pyritized poo.

Well, I don't know much about removing tarnish from fossils, but I can say that if they're pyritized in all likelihood they're gonna start oxidizing pretty soon, and you might need to do something about that.

:) Thats what I'm trying to do. :D

Bear-dog.

keyword search "pyrite disease" and/or "pyrite rot"

it's a major issue with major info online about it. there are some discussions on the forum previous topics about it too.

Work it over with a soft brass brush; this will make it pretty again, but don't become emotionally invested in anything made of pyrite...

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

keyword search "pyrite disease" and/or "pyrite rot"

it's a major issue with major info online about it. there are some discussions on the forum previous topics about it too.

:) Thanks. :D

Bear-dog.

Work it over with a soft brass brush; this will make it pretty again, but don't become emotionally invested in anything made of pyrite...

Yes, as far as I know there are only 2 ways to really halt the pyrite decay. One is by blasting it with ammonia vapor and sticking it in an airtight bottle from where it will never come out, and the other is to varnish it, which ruins its appearance but at least stops the decay.

(From Dougal Dixon's book The Practical Geologist. I figured this is useful info and I need at least one backup source ;) )

Edited by Crimsonraptor

What a wonderful menagerie! Who would believe that such as register lay buried in the strata? To open the leaves, to unroll the papyrus, has been an intensely interesting though difficult work, having all the excitement and marvelous development of a romance. And yet the volume is only partly read. Many a new page I fancy will yet be opened. -- Edward Hitchcock, 1858

Formerly known on the forum as Crimsonraptor

@Diplotomodon on Twitter

Depending on how much effort you want to put into preserving your specimens, you might consider the following article:

Cornish, L. and A. Doyle (1984). The Use of Ethanolamine Thioglycollate in the Conservation of Pyritized Fossils. Palaeontology, Vol.27, Part 2.

Should you choose to go this route, you'll have to check around for suppliers of the ethanolamine thioglycollate in your area.

-Joe

Illigitimati non carborundum

Fruitbat's PDF Library