Question For Calvert Cliffs Fossil Collecters

Shark Tooth Hunter

Hey it's STH, just have a question about Calvert Cliffs. Was wondering the best way to find megalodon teeth on the calvert beaches. I never find any.... so I was wondering if u guys new where or how to find meg teeth. I mostly find hemis,tigers,bulls,and a few lemon shark teeth. I don't know if the best way is in the cliffs, or on the shoreline or maybe theres better ways. I heard they are a little hard to find. Im always jealous of South Carolina!

Thanks! Shark Tooth Hunter :)

STH, let me answer your question, indirectly...The reason why you don't find any Megs when you go is because someone else has already found them. I don't mean this sarcastically, but in all reality, the easily accessible areas along Calvert Cliffs get a ton of foot traffic. I go all the time, and I rarely find a Meg anymore. You want to increase your chances? go buy a boat or kayak, and start boating to some of the lesser known and collected beaches. This involves a bit more time and effort, and an investment, but if you're really after Megs, you'll need to improve your odds.

Daryl S.

Let me add a little stat. To what daryl has said, my first two years were spent at brownies where I found a total of 5 megs. In 4 years of going to other less hit locations my meg total has increased to over 150. Hope this helps.

gallery_17_41_9178.jpg

It could also be due to the times you hunt. If you go to a place before the break of dawn and as tide is rolling out to start your hunts you might get luckier. If you are getting to an area after a number of people have walked that area your chances of finding any have gone way down.

Also what Daryl said is true find a better spot to hunt around creeks or river mouths where you can only get to by canoe or boat.. Good luck :)

Edited by Tarheel59

That actually has a lot to do with it here along the cliffs, being there first and hitting low tides will help you out alot so go on weather.com find the boat and beach section type in 20732 for chesapeake beach zip and find what time high and low tide is, I will also send you the important links on the noaa site.

http://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/ofs/ofs_station.shtml?stname=Solomons%20Island&ofs=cb&stnid=8577330

Edited by bmorefossil
gallery_17_41_9178.jpg