Devonian Trilobite Hunt With A Bonus Tooth!

Caleb

Today was the first field trip of the not-so-local rock club I belong to (Cedar Valley Rock & Mineral Society) so I made the 3.25 hour drive to a Devonian quarry near Iowa City, IA. The formation in this quarry is the Little Cedar Formation and contains all sorts of wonderful Devonian fossils like Crinoids, Cystoids, Ammonites, Cephalopods, Blastoids, Fish parts, and most importantly Trilobites!

While breaking shale for Trilobites, I came across this strange "spine". After some closer examination I realized it was not a spine at all, but a fish tooth! I had heard that they had been found in this quarry, but I never expected to find one as they are not very common. I'm not sure if it's a big fish tooth, or a small shark tooth, so it will be posted in the ID needed section.

Now on to the Trilobites!! If one is lucky they can find an Eldredgeops, if they're very lucky Proetids, and if they're very very lucky Greenops. As my luck has been pretty good lately, I was hoping to be very very lucky and finally collect a Greenops. Turns out that very very lucky wasn't the proper term for today. I struck a home run with not only finding all three, but finding all three on one rock!! :jig:

6.5 hours of drive time for 7 hours of collecting was totally worth it. I can't wait till the next trip!

Tooth!

post-3840-0-77990700-1304303044_thumb.jpg

Trilobites!

post-3840-0-00878300-1304303076_thumb.jpg

...I struck a home run with not only finding all three, but finding all three on one rock!!

That qualifies as a Hat Trick! What an awesome plate :wub:

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Hey no fair.... you are not supposed to be mixing bugs with teeth !! :o

What is this place coming to? Just joshing Caleb - sweet trilo trio !! :D

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

Whoa,

slow down there trigger!

Nice job again Caleb!

You're having a stellar year so far!!!!!

...do i see a fourth trilobite in front of the greenops?? great find! :wub:

Looks like you found part of the anterior tooth whorl of a Devonian Onychodont. Google Onychodus and you will see what I mean.

cheers,

-PzF

Looks like you found part of the anterior tooth whorl of a Devonian Onychodont. Google Onychodus and you will see what I mean.

cheers,

-PzF

dang that's one big bully dawg

Very cool finds! Love the tooth. :)

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Hey no fair.... you are not supposed to be mixing bugs with teeth !! :o

What is this place coming to? Just joshing Caleb - sweet trilo trio !! :D

I didn't mean to find the tooth, it just sort of got in the way of finding trilobites ;)

cheers,

-PzF

I believe you are correct. After looking at some photos and perusing the paper "Devonian Fishes of Iowa" Onychodont material is found in Johnson County, IA and in the same formation that the quarry is in.

Thanks,

Caleb

:) Congrats on a spectacular find.Love the plate.It will clean up nice. :drool: :Thumbs Up:

Bear-dog.

Can't wait to see it prepped.

Looks like you found part of the anterior tooth whorl of a Devonian Onychodont.

Not "hat trick"; Grand Slam Homer!!!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Thanks all! It was a fantastic day and I never expected anything like this!

...do i see a fourth trilobite in front of the greenops?? great find! :wub:

I see what you're looking at, now I just need to get home so I can look a bit closer. I'll post my findings later.

Edit: I took a look at it and it's a small section of crinoid stem.

Edited by Caleb

The hunt continues...way to go, Caleb!

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ