May 2011 Finds Of The Month

JohnJ

This is a very unusual association of three different trilobites next to each other. Here is the collecting report from that day. Without prepping I can't say for sure the species of these bugs, Genus is as close as I can get. Someday soon the broken air compressor will be replaced and then the fun will begin.

Fossil: Eldredgeops sp., Proetus sp., Greenops sp.

Formation: Little Cedar Formation

Found: 1 May 2011

post-3840-0-95789000-1306499932_thumb.jpg

This is a very unusual association of three different trilobites next to each other. Here is the collecting report from that day. Without prepping I can't say for sure the species of these bugs, Genus is as close as I can get. Someday soon the broken air compressor will be replaced and then the fun will begin.

Fossil: Eldredgeops sp., Proetus sp., Greenops sp.

Formation: Little Cedar Formation

Found: 1 May 2011

post-3840-0-95789000-1306499932_thumb.jp

I was impressed when you posted it before. :) Since so much of them is covered by matrix, what are the distinguishing characteristics that tips you to each genus? (for those of us less trilo informed... ;) ) Thanks.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Here is my find of the Month as I am just back back from a short fossicking trip where I picked up this nice articulated specimen.

It is a partial front fin of a

Platypterygius Australis Found on the 28-5-11

From the Toolebuc Formation - Cretacious - Albian - Central Queensland Australia

post-4980-0-87013000-1306654878_thumb.jpg

Here is my find of the month... An OS Magnum bone from a horse found in the Peace River in Arcadia, Florida. I have more pictures, but have already run out of space.

post-5742-0-05263400-1306689569_thumb.jpg

Bill H.

In Sunny Florida

After 15 years of fossil collecting, I finally found something that pretty much no one else has ever found, and oddly enough it isn't a shark tooth. Instead, it's a tooth (canine) from a ground dwelling herbivore mammal called a Taeniodont that existed during the Paleocene. You can read more details on my find here (My link), and see some additional pics and info on Taeniodonts here (My link). According to Dr. Ken Rose at Johns Hopkins University, my specimen is only the third example of a Taeniodont from the Paleocene-Aquia of Maryland, and the very first canine tooth ever reported from the Aquia of MD. Given the rarity of the specimen, I plan on donating it to the Smithsonian and having a cast replica made for myself.

1. Date Found: May 14th, 2011

2. Name: Ectoganus sp. (Taeniodont)

3. Paleocene, Aquia formation

Daryl S.

Very Nice... a Taeniodont from back east. I've collected quite a bit from western Paleocene terrestrial deposits out here and we find very few taeniodonts.

Very Nice... a Taeniodont from back east. I've collected quite a bit from western Paleocene terrestrial deposits out here and we find very few taeniodonts.

Dr. Rose sent me a pic of some Ectoganus material from the base of the Eocene in Wyoming. One of the specimens was a canine that looked identical to the one I found. Overall, I guess there is very little Taenodont material, so ID's are a bit difficult. It's still really neat finding something so rare.

Daryl S.

Dr. Rose sent me a pic of some Ectoganus material from the base of the Eocene in Wyoming. One of the specimens was a canine that looked identical to the one I found. Overall, I guess there is very little Taenodont material, so ID's are a bit difficult. It's still really neat finding something so rare.

Daryl S.

Thanks for the update and congratulations on your extraordinary find. I have thoroughly enjoyed researching this fascinating subject. It is wonderful that you are preserving the legacy of this fossil for science by donating it to the Smithsonian. Perhaps they will better understand the evolutionary significance of this little known fossorial group through your generous gift.

Bravo Daryl !! :goodjob:

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

One more entry for cowgirlfossils. :)

post-420-0-29983500-1306861300_thumb.jpg

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ