Peace River

ohiofossilhunter

It looks like we'll be down in Florida in early August. We are already signing up for a kayak trip with Mark Renz and were wondering if the Peace River Campground in Arcadia is any good? Both as a tent site and for finding some fossils.

Depends .... and depends..

CampingthePeace

... Notes and Precautions

Observe the No Trespassing signs. There is no camping allowed on the east side of the river from Zolfo Springs to Brownville. Also, do not camp on the west side of the river between Gardner and Brownville Bridge. Not many camping sites available below Brownville. Paynes Creek State Historic Site is located .5 mile east of Bowling Green, off SR 664A. An interpretive center, picnicking and nature trails are available. Paddlers may continue downstream. Check maps for additional access points. ....

NET: you could camp on the west side of the river between Zolfo and Brownville, OR on the east side of the River between Gardner and Brownville. That would get you FAR away from other fossil seekers, but I do not imagine that is what you are thinking..

You also could camp at Brownville or Pioneer Park in Zolfo, or at Paynes Creek State park.

LOTS of choices. Peace River Campground has lots of amenities compared to other spots.

the other "depends" --- the closer you are to Campgrounds and boat ramp access points, the more "picked over" are the gravel spots and the harder to find special fossils.

If you JUST want a number of small shark teeth (1 inch or less) then Arcadia Campgrounds are fine. You should go to the obvious access points (route 70 bridge is one) and walk up/down stream a half mile.. You may get lucky..

I found all 3 of the fossils below within 50 yards of the Rt 70 bridge, but then I was willing to shovel gravel for 8-9 hours.

post-2220-0-33331000-1305242065_thumb.jpg

post-2220-0-56238300-1305242101_thumb.jpg

post-2220-0-12585700-1305242126_thumb.jpg

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"