First Search In 2 Weeks

Serack

Well I was working hard on school work then went home for the mid summer break and got back last night. I took a walk down the stream that I have been looking over the past month and had great luck.

Do the cusp looking things on the bigger "meg" make it a "Ric"?

no idea what the molar is, if someone wishes to try to ID it before I post it in the ID section.

post-462-1214772873_thumb.jpg

post-462-1214772884_thumb.jpg

post-462-1214772895_thumb.jpg

post-462-1214772963_thumb.jpg

post-462-1214772984_thumb.jpg

post-462-1214773053_thumb.jpg

post-462-1214773062_thumb.jpg

post-462-1214773077_thumb.jpg

Guest bmorefossil

well still, it looks like you had a great day, the mammal tooth is great you just dont find them all the time, is it squalodon

That cusped Meg is pretty neat; I never found 'em like that in Virginia. Can we get a look at the other side?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Guest bmorefossil

i think the first picture is one of the front and the second is the back, but there is no close up of the front if thats what you mean

i think the first picture is one of the front and the second is the back, but there is no close up of the front if thats what you mean

I couldn't see any "cuspies" on the first pic, and assumed it was a different tooth.

Do you ever find Megs like that @ Calvert?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

That cusped Meg is pretty neat; I never found 'em like that in Virginia. Can we get a look at the other side?

my battery was dead earlier so I just now got to take some more pics of the "cusplets" There is really just one.

post-462-1214787684_thumb.jpg

post-462-1214787727_thumb.jpg

post-462-1214787737_thumb.jpg

post-462-1214787747_thumb.jpg

post-462-1214787758_thumb.jpg

Ahh, now I get it! The "cusps" actually appear to be deformations; I have seen that, but only on really big (5"+), gnarley old Megs, where the serrated edge just sort of wanders around at the root. Cool tooth!

Ahh, now I get it! The "cusps" actually appear to be deformations; I have seen that, but only on really big (5"+), gnarley old Megs, where the serrated edge just sort of wanders around at the root. Cool tooth!

yah it's like a wrinkle in the edge near the base

Guest bmorefossil
Do you ever find Megs like that @ Calvert?

no not to often, we call them chubs up this way but i just call everything a meg its easier and i dont have to hear anyone complain about what i call it lol. yea i did as well, its odd how well the cusps are hidden

Guest bmorefossil

yea i was about to say the same thing, the smallest tooth i have the wringles on is a broken 3.5"

yea i was about to say the same thing, the smallest tooth i have the wringles on is a broken 3.5"

This one is a little under 2.5" Guess that makes this a little unique. by being small... :mellow:

My biggest complete tooth so far though so I'm pretty happy.

Actually, that one and the smaller meg were less than 2 feet from each other. Ever done the meg dance with a meg in each hand before?

What is the current thinking; is C. chubutensis a "good" taxon, synonymous with C. subauriculatus, transitional, or what?

Guest bmorefossil
What is the current thinking; is C. chubutensis a "good" taxon, synonymous with C. subauriculatus, transitional, or what?

for all i know thery are the same thing.

no not to often, we call them chubs up this way but i just call everything a meg its easier and i dont have to hear anyone complain about what i call it lol.

I agree. I just call them all "chubanguricalodons". :)

Almost a week later, I walked a different stream and here's what I found

The vert is from Thursday but it's only my 2nd so I threw it in here

The split meg is by far the biggest of anything I have found at just shy of 3.75" at the farthest points. I included a pic of it next to the previous biggest find which is just over 2.25" but whole except for a bit of the tip.

post-462-1215309754_thumb.jpg

post-462-1215309783_thumb.jpg

post-462-1215309793_thumb.jpg

post-462-1215309815_thumb.jpg

post-462-1215309825_thumb.jpg

You definitely had a good trip. That little meg is a smoker; has the whole bourlette and everything.

yah that one totally caught me by surprise. I somehow missed it on the way upstream, then while rushing back downstream (took over half an hour to get back) It practically jumped up and bit me.

it's a beaut

post-462-1215311128_thumb.jpg

post-462-1215311138_thumb.jpg

post-462-1215311154_thumb.jpg

post-462-1215311162_thumb.jpg

Guest bmorefossil

wow thats a great little tooth, and if that big one was whole i think it would have been over 4" and it looks like it would have had some sweet color!!!!! the black around the out side the tan on the inside!!!!! wow