Fossilhunting In Denmark

Martijn

Hi Folks,

Well we are back in good old Norway and I can say we did quite wel.

Day 1: we visited my favourite Echinocorys quarry in the North East of Denmark. In this quarry it is easy picking and great motivation for my six year old son Quentin. Day one was very succesfull.

post-570-1215349877_thumb.jpg post-570-1215349893_thumb.jpg post-570-1215349946_thumb.jpg

Day 2: we went to a quarry in Fakse, on an other island more to the east a little south from Kopenhagen. The quarry was allmost sterile! They were preparing some kind of art thing :wacko: So collecting was only possible on a small field. Findings were so few that 6 year old fossilhunters soon get tired of hunting. So we found some crabs and moluks and we decided it was more fun to go out and swim for a bit in the sea.

Later we also went to Stevn's Klint. We visited a church which stands totally on the edge of the cliffs, COOL! Although there was plenty of chalk to keep myself occupied, I didn't like the idea with the wild waves on this rocky beach for my sons sake. So fun : 10 and fossils : 0, hahaha.

post-570-1215349986_thumb.jpg post-570-1215350027_thumb.jpg post-570-1215350119_thumb.jpg

Day 3: we went to the island of Møn. Very different then the rest of Denmark. These cliffs are huge! To get down you have to take a stairs with some 500 steps (I think). Well right in the sunny tourist season, the beach is loaded with people in stead of fossils. So low score again on the fossils (1 tip of a belemnite and 1 little shell).

Day 4: well to make up for the low fossil score from day 2 and 3 we decided to visit the quarry from day 1 one more time. And again we struck gold!

Some (only some) of the treasure. post-570-1215350158_thumb.jpgpost-570-1215350183_thumb.jpgpost-570-1215350203_thumb.jpgpost-570-1215350224_thumb.jpg

Greetings from Norway,

Martijn

Qua patet orbis

Sounds like you both had a great adventure! I appreciate the scenery photos; they help me pretend I'm there. Beautiful fossils, too! Having Spiderman along probably helped a lot...

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Now that looked like fun. I take my 6 year old son out to some of the safe sites too here in Texas.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Cool trip, and beautiful spots you hunted over there!

That ech is beautiful! What kind is it ? That matrix looks very hard

in the pic. Looks in mint condition. So hard to find one in that kind of

shape (for me anyway).

Minigraver 6, is will be quite the hunter if he continues with it.

Good to get kids interested at an early age. We may be reading

his paleo papers one of these days, along with other young hunters. :D

Welcome to the forum!

Hi Roz,

Well actualy the chalk is very soft and easy to get of the echs, the 'problem' is more in the flint which is surrounding some of the echs. Sometimes you find a perfect quality echinoid which is 'overgrown' on one side with flint. Right now I am prepping on a piece of flint with 4 echinoids in it. I don't remove the flint, that's as good as impossible. You can hammer of some bit to make a piece more handible.

The echinoids are Echinocorys sulcata from the Danian (Paleoceen).

I started laying some echs that I found on top big chalk pieces so my son could spot them easily, but after awhile he found echs that I had overlooked.

@ all the other repliants: thanks for the positive remarks! And yes I do exchange fossils, hahaha.

Greetings from Norway!

Martijn

Qua patet orbis

Hi Martijn,

Funny that I'm writing to you in English instead of Dutch as usual :D

Nice hunting story with the pics and all. I knew you went to Denmark but because the Dutch forum is down for a couple of days already, I'm glad to see the pics and read the story on The Fossil Forum. It's always nice when your kids find something. List time in Mill I took a handfuls of broken Mako's. My kids (3 and 5) were the only ones who actually found that day. :)

Take care kale.

Arjen.

PS. I went teeth hunting with Jan (Hammerhead) last Thursday night. A lot of fun and a lot of teeth.

Wow! Beautiful fossils and quarries! lot of rocks!

What a great trip!

Hee Martijn,

Nice trip report. Glad you found some nice stuff.

Look forward to pics of the 4 echs on flint, sounds like a really cool piece.

So, junior is really getting the hang of it?

Took my son hunting for echs last Friday and we both did OK too.

Maarten actually found his first Hemipneustes himself; looks like in a couple of years I will have some fierce competition.... :D

Apart from 2 Hemipneustes, I also found one Catopygus fenestratus , 6 Procassidulus lapiscancri and - the icing on the cake - 2 Faujasia apicalis!!!!! . Life can be so sweet ...... :D

I will post a trip report later. 1st I have to hammer the last tiles out of the bathroom ....... :(

Cheers,

Paul

"And the men who hold high places, Must be the ones to start

To mould a new reality, Closer to the Heart"

(Rush, "Closer to the Heart" from the album "A Farewell to Kings")