Megalodon Shark Tooth Real Or Fake? Please Help!

Eef979

First of all I love collecting shark's teeth. I have been wanting a Megalodon tooth for quite some time. I would like to know if I got ripped off on a fake or if this is the real deal. It was on eBay and the seller said he got it diving in S.C. He has perfect feedback so I was not to worried about doing the transaction. However, I know nothing about fakes versus real ones. Here is the auction link as well as a scan:

eBay Closed Auction Link

SharkToothFront.jpg

SharkToothBack.jpg

Thank you so very much as this does mean so much to me.

Edited by Eef979

That's as real as they get; congratulations!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Agree with Auspex, no mystery here, it's real. If you want to see some fakes or "Replicas", go to eBay and search on "Megalodon Replica". Some folks make replicas and sell them as such.

Daryl.

If this is your first meg you did just fine. A nice tooth to start a collection.

• New Members

Looks like a good price and real tooth. I am amazed a big tooth like that goes for that little!

Looks like a good price and real tooth. I am amazed a big tooth like that goes for that little!

Me too. Just think of all the time and effort and money that someone spent trying to find that tooth. My guess is it's a tooth that was found by diving, and if so, think of all the expenses involved in doing that. So, to get a decent 4+" tooth for a little over $50 seems like a pretty good deal. Now, of course, if that tooth was in pristine condition, it would have been $200 to $300 or more perhaps. If you aren't fortunate enough to live in an area accessible to rivers and such to find these huge teeth, you can still manage to add them to your collection via the wonderful world of the internet !

Me too. Just think of all the time and effort and money that someone spent trying to find that tooth. My guess is it's a tooth that was found by diving, and if so, think of all the expenses involved in doing that. So, to get a decent 4+" tooth for a little over $50 seems like a pretty good deal. Now, of course, if that tooth was in pristine condition, it would have been $200 to $300 or more perhaps. If you aren't fortunate enough to live in an area accessible to rivers and such to find these huge teeth, you can still manage to add them to your collection via the wonderful world of the internet !

It's depressing isn't it? To think of all the time, money and effort it takes to find teeth, compared to how little they're worth!

"There is no difference between Zen and Purgatory and Time Warner Cable, and they are trying to tach me this, but I am a dim impatient pupil."

----- xonenine