My First Find Of The Day In Antwerp

Synechodus

Read and weep .......

Imagine a Megalodon tooth, not reworked hence hardly worn, serrations largely intact, only some feedings damage to the tip, being sucked from the bottom of an Antwerp harbor dock, surviving 6 miles of steel pipes with numerous twists and turns and ultimately ..................... spit on land.

Imagine this tooth which is still in great condition after this horrendous ordeal, especially when compared to almost all other Megalodon teeth which were torn apart in the steel pipes ........ lying there .....just waiting to be found ........ the first find for the day ....... by a lone fossilhunter walking up the ramp to the sandpit.

Imagine the odds of that happening ...... (those who have hunted the Antwerp area know what I am talking about)

Got the picture?

Now imagine a bulldozer running over the tooth before you find it .....

post-456-1215545628_thumb.jpg post-456-1215545679_thumb.jpg post-456-1215545693_thumb.jpg post-456-1215545706_thumb.jpg

...... and weep with me :wacko:

Cheers,

Paul

"And the men who hold high places, Must be the ones to start

To mould a new reality, Closer to the Heart"

(Rush, "Closer to the Heart" from the album "A Farewell to Kings")

Read and weep .......

Imagine a Megalodon tooth, not reworked hence hardly worn, serrations largely intact, only some feedings damage to the tip, being sucked from the bottom of an Antwerp harbor dock, surviving 6 miles of steel pipes with numerous twists and turns and ultimately ..................... spit on land.

Imagine this tooth which is still in great condition after this horrendous ordeal, especially when compared to almost all other Megalodon teeth which were torn apart in the steel pipes ........ lying there .....just waiting to be found ........ the first find for the day ....... by a lone fossilhunter walking up the ramp to the sandpit.

Imagine the odds of that happening ...... (those who have hunted the Antwerp area know what I am talking about)

Got the picture?

post-456-1215545628_thumb.jpg post-456-1215545679_thumb.jpg post-456-1215545693_thumb.jpg post-456-1215545706_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Paul

Yes, I know, I know... :rolleyes:

Guest bmorefossil

wow thats a great tooth, if i hadnt just found one like that but the two parts a month apart i would think it could never happen!!! whats the size of the tooth?

Hey Paul,

I would have cried my eyes out. But nevertheless a GREAT find that is comming from Antwerp!

Like I told you in the e-mail; just send it to me, Norwagian superglue is the best in the world, hahahaha

Regards,

Martijn

Qua patet orbis

Is that your first meg?

You know how to do some good repair work dont ya :D

Nice find!!

Read and weep .......

Got the picture?

Cheers,

Paul

This truly defines the term "shammer" What a trip only to get damaged as it lay in apparent safety.

Poor thing! It's been waiting since the Miocene to be found by you, and at the last moment it gets run over by a bulldozer. :(

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Yes, stuff like that is very frustrating but I am of the

theory is you find what you were meant to. It is still

a beauty, so congratulations. :D

I won't find one here, but one of these days maybe.

Welcome to the forum!

A guy on Tybee Island, GA works on the dredge that keeps the channel open in the Savannah. He somehow cherry picks teeth as they are shot out of the pipe after their initial suck up. He has quite a collection.

661866b.jpg

He gave my dad a Solo cup of teeth after installing a gravel driveway. Nothing spectacular but they were still nice teeth. All 16 oz of 'em. I plan to look for a few more next week. I hope the heat doesn't kill me.

Jim

PS I found my first Meg tooth a few months back. Broken in half like the bulldozer victim. Worse yet it had lost its mate.

Paul,

I've no words, really.

I know how difficult it is to come across an intact meg in Antwerp, but when you find one which is damged by one of the truck.

Arjen

PS. It's a great story anyway

Thank you all, for the words of consolation. B)

To be quite honest; I am very happy with the tooth as it is, despite the fact that it is in two pieces.

I guess the fact that it is such a neat break helps; when properly alligned there is only a hairline crack that remains along the crown.

Btw: judging by the discoloration of both sides of the fracture it already had some internal cracking and the bulldozer just finished it off, cracking it along an already weak spot.

@ bmorefossil: the root is 7.5 cm wide, the height on the tooth is 8.5 cm and the longest slant is 9.5 cm.

@ Jax: not my first, but definitely my best so far and I will be hard pressed to find a better one from that area.

As to repairs: I don't like teeth with extensive repairs, I prefer to keep them "in their natural state" as much as possible so I will leave it to glueing both pieces together.

Anybody knows a good reversible glue for a job like this?

Cheers,

Paul

Thought you might like some more pics from the same hunt ...

post-456-1215603338_thumb.jpg post-456-1215603355_thumb.jpg post-456-1215603374_thumb.jpg post-456-1215603387_thumb.jpg post-456-1215603406_thumb.jpg post-456-1215603423_thumb.jpg post-456-1215603491_thumb.jpg

...... as far as the meg concerns you're lucky it didn't get hit by an asteroid after being pummeled by a caravan of bulldozers all following eachother :-)

I wouldn't mind if that meant I got to keep the asteroid instead.... :D

I wouldn't mind if that meant I got to keep the asteroid instead.... :D

I love an optimist. Stay optimistic.

Ohhhhh that's almost sickeninggggg... HATE when that happens... BUT, at least you can hardly tell....Great find.

• 3 months later...

OK, so now I finally found some quiet time and - more importantly - the nerve to have a go @ repairing the "two-pieced Meg-tooth".

I think it turned out pretty well, but you be the judge.

post-456-1224575616_thumb.jpg post-456-1224575653_thumb.jpg post-456-1224575660_thumb.jpg post-456-1224575670_thumb.jpg

On the display side only a small hairline crack remains and you have to look closely to find it.

I had collected the surrounding dirt to look for the flakes missing from the reverse side, but alas, no such luck.

Still, all in all, it ranks among the top 3 finds for this year ......... so far ;) .

Cheers,

Paul

OK, so now I finally found some quiet time and - more importantly - the nerve to have a go @ repairing the "two-pieced Meg-tooth".

I think it turned out pretty well, but you be the judge.

What glue did you use to make the repair?

Besides fossils,

I collect roadcuts,

Stream beds,

Winter beaches:

Places of pilgrimage.

Jasper Burns, Fossil Dreams

What glue did you use to make the repair?

I used Super Cyanoacrylate Adhesive, making sure only to apply it to the core of both fragments to avoid access glue spilling out over the enamel.

Fortunately, the cut was very neat and only a hairline crack showed afterwards as you can see in the last picture. The cut was also right in between two serrations, damaging neither.

Finally, I took some of the sediments I had taken along , ground that down and rubbed that powder along the hairline crack to fill it up in a natural-looking way.

Cheers,

Paul

Nice job; congratulations!

Good tip on using ground-up sediment to naturalize the crack fill.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Guest bmorefossil
Nice job; congratulations!

Good tip on using ground-up sediment to naturalize the crack fill.

yea it works real nice on bones as well