Ok, I Have The Ball... An Now?

Nandomas

Hi everyone

I got this ball in trade at MAPS. ;) It is the first time I handle a concretion with into (I hope)a crab from Washington. :unsure::wacko:

I do not want ruin it, please help me, how to start to prep the odd ball?

dimension: 9 cm. longest diameter, 640 grams :o

Thanksalot

Nando :)

post-1112-0-48585200-1308387771_thumb.jpg

post-1112-0-32260800-1308387776_thumb.jpg

post-1112-0-23908200-1308387781_thumb.jpg

post-1112-0-64748100-1308387906_thumb.jpg

Edited by Nandomas

Erosion... will be my epitaph!

http://www.paleonature.org/

https://fossilnews.org/

Hi Nando,

I am not able to help you, but in the urgency, use of the repulsive with cat !

Anhuta just said me : "tell him to send it to me, I am going to try to prep it. If it is beautiful, I keep it. If it is not beautiful, I send back to him".

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Pareidolia : here

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

nando, hi, and good morning.

get some sharp nails and scrape everything away from the ball that doesn't look like a crab.

regards,

tracer

Theres plenty crab enthusiasts on here with many of them preppers... maybe someone will offer to do it for you ;)

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

Theres plenty crab enthusiasts on here with many of them preppers... maybe someone will offer to do it for you ;)

Thanks, I wanted a ball like this just to try and to learn how to do. The problem with balls is that they are round :blink::wacko: :wacko: :unsure:

Where to begin? Someone told me to roll the concretion on the floor and the down side is the upper part of the crab, but I think this is a metropolitan legend B):o

p.s.

Goooooooodmorning Tracer and Anhuta :P:P :P

Nice too see your ideas are so fresh in the morning :D :D ;)

Edited by Nandomas

Erosion... will be my epitaph!

http://www.paleonature.org/

https://fossilnews.org/

i never base any of my decisions on metropolitan legends.

and i think the thickness of the concretion as it formed around the nucleus (if any) would determine whether the external shape of the concretion were to any extent affected by the shape of the nucleus.

obviously one side is flatter than the other, so if you believe there is a crab inside, and that the crab determined the outer shape of the concretion, then the answer is clear. but if, on the other hand, you believe that a crab would mess with you by dying upside down in a concretion whose external shape was determined by geology, then you're being set up for heartbreak.

the safest thing to do would be to prep half of the concretion from the side, and then you're bound to expose half of the crab that you can display either upside down or rightside up.

if there's a crab in it.

some concretions form around other concretions, like matryoshka dolls. i think.

man, what if you keep prepping through concretion after concretion and just find an ostracod in the center?

some things aren't as they seem

"man, what if you keep prepping through concretion after concretion and just find an ostracod in the center?"

That's funny. Very funny. :laughing on the floor 24:

Our super-preppers of crab nodules sometimes break the concretions open to discover the orientation of the crab, then glue them back together and scribe down to them.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Our super-preppers of crab nodules sometimes break the concretions open to discover the orientation of the crab, then glue them back together and scribe down to them.

that's considered cheating on 6 of the 8 known continents

that's considered cheating on 6 of the 8 known continents

I wouldn't say cheating...more like creative integrity. ;)

Although if you break it open, what if you break open the crab as well? :mellow:

What a wonderful menagerie! Who would believe that such as register lay buried in the strata? To open the leaves, to unroll the papyrus, has been an intensely interesting though difficult work, having all the excitement and marvelous development of a romance. And yet the volume is only partly read. Many a new page I fancy will yet be opened. -- Edward Hitchcock, 1858

Formerly known on the forum as Crimsonraptor

@Diplotomodon on Twitter

...if you break it open, what if you break open the crab as well? :mellow:

That is exactly what happens (to a greater or lesser degree). Gluing it back together after noting the orientation leaves it almost as good as new.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

That is exactly what happens (to a greater or lesser degree). Gluing it back together after noting the orientation leaves it almost as good as new.

A spectacular example that won IPFOTM and IPFOTY! :)

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ