Cleaning Sliced Ammonites

Axelorox

Pretty much all of the relatively cheap sliced ammonites (anywhere from $3 - $20) I have seen have some small bits of rock around the center of the uncut edge. Is there any way to remove this rock, or would doing so destroy the ammonite?

It can be tough to do, requiring an air scribe and lots of patience. Even then, the smaller whorls are often damaged and incomplete, as they are of thinner material.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Axelorox...I think with the ammonites being sliced the strength has gone to support behind the centre being cleaned and there is insufficient thickness left to achieve what you suggest...

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

I can attest to the truth above.

I have cleaned MANY Madagascar ammonites and trying to completely clean the umbilicus of a split ammonite is not worth the breakage. That is why they are so often not cleaned. The consolidated mud is needed to support the initial, very small, chambers.

You can clean with an air pen enough to show the shape, size and depth of the umbilicus for identification purposes but that is about it.

Phil

Tucson

Thanks for the feedback. Interestingly enough, I have a pair where one of the halves has very little bits of rock on the outside, while the other has a good amount. Both are around the same thickness.