Exposing Small Ammonite

Axelorox

pyriteammonite.jpg

I was taking a look at the above ammonite when I noticed something.

possibleammonitecircled.jpg

Inspired by the posts I had seen of people prepping beautiful ammonites from what were previously just large rocks, it appeared to me that it was an exposed part of another ammonite that the original preperator (I bought this one in a shop) had missed or was too lazy to prepare. It's hard to see in the picture, but the exposed part is more reddish than the rest of the rock. The main rock is around 7 cm long at the longest point, and is around 3 cm tall at the tallest point. , The exposed part is 1.5 cm long (measured straight across, no curve measured,and parts of it seem to be slightly crystallized (but its hard to tell due to the size). I have a few questions about this.

First of all, do you guys think it is an exposed part of another ammonite, or is it another fossil or just a strange mineral formation?

If it is indeed an ammonite or another fossil, do you think that it is worth it to prep the fossil so that the smaller ammonite is more visible?

And if I were to indeed try to expose the ammonite, what would be the best way to do so? I imagine that it would be a difficult job given the size of it.

Axelorox... This indeed could very well be a portion of an outer whorl of an ammonite poking from the rock as these upper lias nodules from whitby very often contain more than one ammonite... and as you say the photo isnt too clear to be certain... When these Dactylioceras are collected and 'popped' using a hammer and chisel the rock very easily in many cases just comes away from the fossil with a clean break... stubborn bits of rock that are left you would need to use an airpen to vibrate and tease the rock loose... Hope this helps...

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a dactilioceras with another one on the opposite side of the rock. Many rocks have multiple ammonites in them. You may expose more fossils and then you may destroy what you have if not carefull!

post-4087-0-51742200-1309408190_thumb.jpg

post-4087-0-15468800-1309408202_thumb.jpg