The Care And Feeding Of A Gomphotherium

Lee Taylor

I was fossiling in the Edisto river (here in Charleston SC) this past Saturday. I found a nice 4" Megalodon, some petrified wood, a few smaller teeth, and this Gomphotheriun. The tooth is cover with a coating of what looks like millions of years of hardened gunk. I would like to clean it, although my first thought is.... is it worth it. I have no clue as to where to start on such a task. I have seen these teeth on the internet and they are a shiny mirror finish black. How in the world someone cleaned one to that degree is beyond me.

Is there anyone out there that has any information on the cleaning of something like this?

Click to enlarge photos

th_100_8536.jpg

th_100_8544.jpg

th_100_8540.jpg

th_100_8537.jpg

th_100_8542.jpg

Edited by Lee Taylor

Don't laugh, but one member here uses BBQ sauce as a river-varnish remover...

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Fantastic Find!!!

I found this 2 months ago in the Peace river. Looking at yours, they seem similar to the last 2 mounds.

What do you think? Do I have a piece of Gomph? or not :mellow:

post-2220-0-83860900-1308622145_thumb.jpg

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

I've also heard folks talk about using Mayonnaise and a product called Goo Gone. Not sure what's in Goo Gone but I've used it to remove tree sap off of both of my new cars. I also used mayonnaise and it removed the sap as well. I only switched to the Goo Gone cause my wife needed the mayo to make sandwiches for the next day.

Daryl.

I don't have the best eyesite and that might explain me not seeing the crowding of secondary cusps in between the main enamel cusps in your photos. Are you sure it isn't Mammut americanum as opposed to Cuvieronius or similar? Great find by the way, more complete than any I've found.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

I would have voted mastadon for your tooth. As for the river grime, Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. But don't use it too much or you will start to remove the natural shine on the enamal. And I would only use it on the enamal, not the root. Remember. You are in the Edisto. Some fossils clean up okay while other do not. As for the food layer (tarter) that usually develops and persists even in fossil form along the root line. My suggestion is to leave it alone. I think it adds to the story and looks pretty cool too. Removing it since it is now fossilized and usually intimately part of the main body fossil is asking for trouble. Nice specimen by the way! Here is a pic of a Gomph I found from the edisto as well and cleaned up.post-4422-0-94406000-1308628506_thumb.jpg

Edited by DeloiVarden

Very nice tooth and thanks for the film... Its great to see your hunting area's... ;)

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

not sure that i'd clean that mastodon tooth. guess it depends on how much your eyes need shiny things to look at.

I don't have the best eyesite and that might explain me not seeing the crowding of secondary cusps in between the main enamel cusps in your photos. Are you sure it isn't Mammut americanum as opposed to Cuvieronius or similar? Great find by the way, more complete than any I've found.

No I am not sure and thank you for the observation. I noticed the cusps also. I will take a closer look at the reference materials.

Fantastic Find!!!

Do I have a piece of Gomph? or not :mellow:

Thank you.

It is hard to tell what you have because there is not enough shape for recognition. If money were no object, carbon dating would tell the time frame and gas chromatography would identify the species.

Very nice tooth and thanks for the film... Its great to see your hunting area's... ;)

Happy to hear you liked the video clip. Will post more. I was thinking others may enjoy seeing the area and your reply tells me I was right. I met a fossil hunter from Germany at Debra Powell's home (Venice Florida) while visiting a month ago. He had a interesting array of fossils from Europe that he wanted to sell. It was enjoyable seeing the difference in finds.

Debra rocks! Found my first mastodon tooth with her guidance 5 years ago...

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

I vote mastodon on this tooth as well. If this tooth was mine, I would clean it with a dremel with a wire brush. This will not damage the tooth unless you are reckless with it. Nice find, I found one similar last week as well.

Auspex - It's cocktail sauce!!

Fantastic Find!!!

I found this 2 months ago in the Peace river. Looking at yours, they seem similar to the last 2 mounds.

What do you think? Do I have a piece of Gomph? or not :mellow:

You have a piece of mastodon.

...Auspex - It's cocktail sauce!!

I guess I fixated on the idea of Bar-B-Qed mastodon :P

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Here are some more clips of the Edisto (the longest black water river in the United States at 206 miles in length). I am wanting to explore down river a bit more.

Have a Cooper river fossiling trip tentatively planned for the second weekend in July

Edited by Lee Taylor