Yellow Bluff

erose

This last weekend we (Paleo Society of Austin) visited the Yellow Bluff site near Ada. While there we had a discussion regarding the age of the formations present. It appeared to contain Silurian trilobites in the creek and up the slope/exposure a distance and then obviously(?) Devonian fauna near the middle & top. We could not be sure where the Henryhouse, Haragan and Bois d'Arc each ended and began.

The collecting was great and a breeze kept things comfortable until the noon sun finally caught up with us. One of our advisors and members, Professor James Sprinkle, UT, was there and was excited to see a few undescribed echinoderms as well.

So any insights and other observations would be appreciated as I try to understand this site and fill my flesh out my field notes.

I'll get some photos up shortly as well.

Nothing by me. Most of the sites were Devonian and older with slim chance of teeth. We did hit a Pennsylvanian location called Tucker's Hill which has produced teeth in the past.

http://adaeveningnews.com/local/x1996463453/Shrimp-find-is-big-deal

Founf this news about ADA fossils... not sure we are speaking about the same location

Cheers

Nando

Thanks, That is the right area. Ada and the Arbuckle Mountains area include a wide variety of Paleozoic strata. The shrimp is from an old quarry not far from where we were collecting.

that sounds really awesome. Since i am from oklahoma, would your club allow me to tag along next year if i catch it on your website.

that sounds really awesome. Since i am from oklahoma, would your club allow me to tag along next year if i catch it on your website.

Probably. In some cases there is a question about membership versus the liability coverage we carry thru AFSM. But you could join us for $15 and that would be that. We make other trips up near Dallas/Ft Worth every year as well.

The OK trip is usually in May or June.