Hike Into The Badlands

geofossil

Now I have another place to go on my list. Nice haul. Dino teeth would be nice to find.

...whoever finds the perfect tyrannosaurid jaw with a full compliment of teeth is the supreme ruler of the universe...but you have to get it back home without the other fellow using his rock hammer and doing you in...

Such an ignominious end for a ruler of the universe!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Guest N.AL.hunter

Again some really nice dino stuff. What a thrill to be able to find and collect such specimens. Maybe someday I'll get permission from some ranch owner with property in the Morrison.

amazing stuff, thats certainly somewhere i would like to go and explore some day! is it government land or private? do you need any permits ect to enter?

"Turn the fear of the unknown into the excitment of possibility!"

We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

I think I know you where have being;great stuff. You are like me, where have you NOT bieng at collecting in Alberta

Some day we may meet out in the bad lands and yes I still get misstaken for a fish ranger.

good on you for still gettting out

• 2 weeks later...

What is the size of the smaller #6 tooth? Can you do a close up of it? In this picture, I don't see any denticles, and the base looks to be laterally compressed and indented. Very birdlike.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

The smaller tooth is definitely raptor...here's what it and some buddies look like:

Thanks, now I see the denticles. Dromeosaurid Raptor? They shared an ancestor with the birds B).

Great stuff!

I'm not too far from the area, but I really don't know where to go to look :mellow: .. maybe I'll just wing it and find a place along the river that looks promising. ;)

It's a good idea to check out the displays at the Tyrrel museum in Drumheller. Concentrate of the little details such as the shape, colour and texture of teeth, toes, etc. Also look at the 'in situ' skeletons at Dinosaur Provincial Park (and the displays in the museum at the entrance). Then hit the Red Deer River at a place such as Toleman (near Trochu), Morin Bridge, etc. At first just look for bone fragments and try to get a feel what they look like and what layers they are in at in the hoodoos. Concentrate on the base of hoodoos or the base of various layers going up the hoodoo where sediment fans out. Usually bone concentration is highest at the base of reddish sections (these are ancient stream sediments). After a while your eye will tune in to the bone....in some places it's sparse and in others so thick that you can't help but walk on bone pieces. After you get a sense of where the bone is then start looking for more specific shapes. If there is a lot of bone then literally get on your hands and knees, nose to the ground and look at everything at first. Much of the little stuff is intact and includes ray teeth, fish scales and vertebrae, croc teeth and scutes, and various small dino teeth. Once your eye is 'trained' it's an addiction and you won't be able to walk in the badlands anymore without staring at the bone layers and going 'hmmmmm...must climb up and check out...' because you just know there's a big tooth or similar prize waiting to be found.

Very cool, thanks for the tips!! :)

I live in Okotoks so it's a little bit of a drive, but I like roadtrips anyways. :P I'm a noob when it comes to fossil hunting, though I've had an interest for a long while now. I guess the best way to get experience is just to get my hands dirty (literally).

I appreciate the tips geofossil! .. if I actually find anything I'll post pics of what I get(though I'm not holding my breath.)

Dharm.

Hey Geofossil, looks like you guys had some awesome trips. That armour scute is very nice, really tall! How big is it?

Hi Geofissil: N.E of Jenner, the rancher there still has you park our wheels at one spot and if you don't you don't come back. Is his road down to the bottom still in good shape?

You and Pepis guy always did find great stuff. Sort of like the good old days when the four generations went hiking.

I have only being out three time this July. down to Steveville, Trochu.and in the foothills. Old war wounds have now stoped me going out for a while,

I and bone digger should show off some of our stuff wwe have found this summer.

This is the first in over ten years that I have not gone out with the APS, I sort of think we have parted ways for a while.

Leave some fossil out there for some one else OK.

I went out dino hunting yesterday to Iddesleigh, had a great day despite blisters from my new boots, 29C temp, and the hoards of musquitos lurking in the grass waiting for you to walk by and suck you dry (heard you and Pepsi boy had the same problem with the musquitos)!  Found 3 theropod claws, one is complete 1/2" long (baby or maybe bird?), a few nice therapod and hadrosaur teeth, lots of champs and hadrosaur verts.  Could use some help to identify 2 fossils I found.  One I am sure is a croc scute just from the pattern but all the others that I have found have been flat, this one is cone shaped.  The other I think is also from a croc or alligator, I have found lots and lots of pieces like this in the past but never one as long as this one.

Thanks for the info. I do find it hard to see the boundary between the Oldman and Dinosaur park alot of the time. In some places it looks obvious but not in others. Do you have any photo's or tips on how to spot it?

Here's one of my favorite predations specimens: It's a hadrosaur caudal with healed 'in life' neural spine on one side and bite mark on the other.

I guess that's pretty good evidence that the Haddy lived through at least one attack. Cool fossil!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest N.AL.hunter

Great pics, some of the best ever posted as far as I am concerned. Really takes me back to when I was out there collecting (tear running down my cheek).