Hike Into The Badlands

geofossil

Thank you very much for the photos; most fun I've had in weeks!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Thanks for the story and great pics, but are you serious, you didn't collect anything???? :o Last weekend I managed to talk my wife into going hiking, since grampa dino is on vacation. We went out for half a day and checked out a new area, found some good stuff.

...Scroll down this page from another seller and look at the silly info with the Alberta ammonite (Placenticeras). Turn on the baloney meter....If any of the age, location, reason for punctures is accurate then it is truly a unique and one-of-a-kind specimen. :blink:

http://www.paleosearch.com/newestitems.html

Could it not be so? This is usually a pretty reputable dealer...

Unless this species could not have come from the deposit as described, I (who don't know any better) might be inclined to buy the baloney (but not the fossil; no $$$ for such luxuries).

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Scroll down this page from another seller and look at the silly info with the Alberta ammonite (Placenticeras). Turn on the baloney meter....If any of the age, location, reason for punctures is accurate then it is truly a unique and one-of-a-kind specimen. :blink:

http://www.paleosearch.com/newestitems.html

Check out Canada Fossils also

http://www.canadafossils.com/ammonites.html

-they sell a LOT of Placenticeras intercalare. Nearly all from Bearpaw, late K. Some of the most vivid blues, greens, yellows, and reds. Almost unbelievable. Photos do not do these ammonites justice. You have to see them in person to believe them. We actually have a couple of them on display here at our museum that we acquired from Canada Fossils.

Snafu: Re the comment on 'Canada Fossils'...I agree it is one of the few knowlegeable sellers of Cretaceous material.

Pretty nice guys (and gals, too). John Issa especially. For them at least, they go out and dig their own ammonites...so they tell everyone. Either way, back at the Denver show last year there was this one they had, it had the most VIBRANT blue you'd ever want to see. I had to go back to their booth a few times, that sucker was calling to me from across the room. Just a tad bit more that was affordable, but something to behold, non-the-less.

Wm.T.

Rene V. was a very nice man. I had the pleasure of meeting him several times. Even got to go on a tour of their warehouse here in Calgary. You would not believe the ammonites I saw their!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :o

Rene V. was a very nice man. I had the pleasure of meeting him several times. Even got to go on a tour of their warehouse here in Calgary. You would not believe the ammonites I saw their!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :o

Ah, yeah, I had the pleasure of meeting him briefly once as well. Great guy.

Now, you've one upped me on the warehouse...it's on my list of travel plans, "Lord willin' and the creek don't rise" as my Grandma used to say.

Wm.T.

I've only ever collected one of the Placeteras meeki but it doesn't have much colour.

Well, that's one ammonite better then I've found. Itching to get out somewhere that has them, but just never had the opportunity.

I got my wife an ammolite pendant for an anniversary gift one year. Very bright green. She's not that much into fossils, but she does like that, so I guess I didn't do too badly.

Hey, sorry, didn't mean to hijack the Badlands trip with talk of ammonites and such. Just got to say, my jaw has been dropping with every new picture you show! Gotta love it!

Wm.T.