Fossilized Egg

chopkins

• New Members
post-6237-0-00946000-1309897116_thumb.jpgThis was found in the ozarks on a bluff over-looking the river. Any info would be helpful. The egg is complete, but the outer rock is in four pieces.

You'll need to get some better focused photos from different angles and something for scale before any useful comments can be offered. :)

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Chopkins -

looks like a chert concretion (non-fossil). It's a fantastic psuedo fossil, for sure!

• New Members
post-6237-0-47740700-1309899950_thumb.jpg Found in Norfork, AR Over-looking White River Edited by chopkins

Can you give us a better idea of where in the Ozarks it was found, so that we can ascertain the local geology? Also, the item's size please?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Can you give us a better idea of where in the Ozarks it was found, so that we can ascertain the local geology? Also, the item's size please?

I see you posted another picture, with a quarter for scale, while I was writing the above. You can disregard the first request as well, because I checked and the Ozarks are ancient "Paleozoic" rocks, and predate anything that could have laid such an by many, many millions of years.

Chert nodule it is.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

At first, you make me chair jumping around :o :o :o

Nice concretion, anyway :wub:

Nando

Don't be sad... several years ago, my first bird egg turned out to be "petrified meatball", according to the rock shop owner in Ellensburg, Washington ;)B)

Edited by Nandomas

Erosion... will be my epitaph!

http://www.paleonature.org/

https://fossilnews.org/

once i was talking to a quartz crystal miner on the side of a mountain in the ouachitas and i was trying to decide what to call the huge volume of matrix he'd broken up and discarded on the side of the mountain. i wasn't thinking it should be called chert because it didn't concoidally fracture and wasn't as fine-grained as the chert i was used to seeing where i'm from.

he informed me the stuff was "country rock". looking at the piece here, it kind of looks like country rock to me.

once i was talking to a quartz crystal miner on the side of a mountain in the ouachitas and i was trying to decide what to call the huge volume of matrix he'd broken up and discarded on the side of the mountain. i wasn't thinking it should be called chert because it didn't concoidally fracture and wasn't as fine-grained as the chert i was used to seeing where i'm from.

he informed me the stuff was "country rock". looking at the piece here, it kind of looks like country rock to me.

Hey Tracer, country rock means, the Host rock, if im not mistaken. ;)

Don't feel bad about finding a rock that looks like something else. My Dentist, Joe Daugherty (who is now passed) was famous for collecting rocks that look like food. His stuff was so great he was on the Today Show, Late night with David Letterman and The Tonight Show with Johnny Carson. So keep looking and you might get famous too!