What Is Your Favorite Fossil Site To Collect At ?

Shark Tooth Hunter

Hey everyone, which fossil site do you go to? I live in MD so I only have Calvert Cliffs on my list. So whats your favorite site?

Shark Tooth Hunter

GMR since I live just a few minutes away. I also like Aurora and hope one day to actually get into the mine itself. I want to try some new places though.

Alas my favorite site has ended, returned to the green of nature.

T'was good while it lasted.

post-1313-0-94617300-1310147618_thumb.jpg

Be true to the reality you create.

Mine is the jurassic coast in dorset england.

Though i fancy a trip to morocco,any offers!!! :rolleyes:

Mine is definitely the Lee Creek Mine and hopefully it will open soon.

My favorite site by far would have to be the stretch of beach i call "HEAVEN" located here in Taranaki New Zealand. I share with a handful of people.It has been constantly producing world class Marine Mammal and Sea Bird fossils of the late miocene early pliocene. :D:rolleyes:

post-1182-0-90625500-1310194540_thumb.jpg

Calvert cliffs definately gets consideration, not too remote, fresh material refreshing the hunting, easy access to essential fossil hunting infrastruture (Wal mart and lots of restaurants with good crab cakes) and it has Megalodon teeth, mammal fossils & some cool inverts too.

However, lately, my favorite place to hunt is in my garage. It is even closer to good food, all my fossil hunting tools are right there, it has a lot of Calvert cliffs fauna, and also Big Brook, St. Clair, Upstate NY, southern CA, etc stuff AND the only advantage of the early stages of senile dementia is that every time I go in there I get to "re-discover" something really cool!:D:wub:

Lyme Regis would take some beating...

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

It has to be any of the Ernst quarries (one area now owned by other FF members) outside Bakersfield, California where you can dig into the Middle Miocene-age Sharktooth Hill Bonebed. It is a paradise for the shark tooth collector and those who want to find whale and pinniped parts. There were a couple of years when work allowed me to go only in the 100+ degree heat of this time of year or a cold and cloudy day in December and I was happy to go. I hope anyone who is thinking about going on one of the public digs out there does get to go someday. I have collected in places where I didn't find a fragment of anything, but if you do the digging in one of those quarries, you will find some good stuff.

Hey everyone, which fossil site do you go to? I live in MD so I only have Calvert Cliffs on my list. So whats your favorite site?

Shark Tooth Hunter

It has to be any of the Ernst quarries (one area now owned by other FF members) outside Bakersfield, California where you can dig into the Middle Miocene-age Sharktooth Hill Bonebed. It is a paradise for the shark tooth collector and those who want to find whale and pinniped parts. There were a couple of years when work allowed me to go only in the 100+ degree heat of this time of year or a cold and cloudy day in December and I was happy to go. I hope anyone who is thinking about going on one of the public digs out there does get to go someday. I have collected in places where I didn't find a fragment of anything, but if you do the digging in one of those quarries, you will find some good stuff.

Ditto! For a 3 year period I was there about 2 weekends a month and it was heaven. Also the narrow valley behind Hang Glider Hill when it was untouched and we worked it for a year and hit the Fire Zone areas!

If only my teeth are so prized a million years from now!

Up until a few years ago I would have said Calvert Cliffs. It's where I started out collecting 15 years ago, however, about 5 years ago the collecting started to go downhill - pun intended. Since the fossils you find typically come from sections of the cliffs eroding/collapsing onto the beach below, if the rate of erosion goes down, so does the amount of fossils to be found. This is exactly what has happened at the main beaches I collect at along Calvert Cliffs. Without major storms and harsh winters, the cliffs remain fairly intact (good for the homeowners along the cliffs :)) and very little new material erodes to replenish the supply of fossils for the ever increasing number of people out there collecting. I used to overcome the fossil deficit by resorting to screening the gravels along the beach, but even that has yielded slim results. So, as a result of the dwindling supply of fossils there, I have started collecting in other areas and have adapted slightly different strategies such as going after the micro material, which opens up a whole new world of fossils.

Daryl.