Ebay Special

jax

Oh, my, that is soooo beautiful!

post-423-1216091898.gif

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

i must admit that is pretty neat

"Turn the fear of the unknown into the excitment of possibility!"

We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

I know where they found these. Its about 2 hrs from me. I just haven't had a chance to go there.

I know where those came from, too. I'm pretty sure I know who that guy is. I was there back in March, a day or two after he collected some of those. He left a few spines behind in the shale that fell of of his slabs on the limestone layer above. I collected them even though they were just pieces as I previously had none. The area was a bit too wet to work that day, but I was checking out the location for a future trip and I didn't have the proper equipment anyway. I picked up some stuff that was just laying around.

I didn't know they were going for so much, but I suppose they are worth it. They are a lot of work to remove and prep.

post-534-1216095713_thumb.jpg

post-534-1216095724_thumb.jpg

..... I know where they found these. Its about 2 hrs from me. I just havent had a chace to go there.

I would be in my car right now! :o

For stuff like this you have to make time ......

"And the men who hold high places, Must be the ones to start

To mould a new reality, Closer to the Heart"

(Rush, "Closer to the Heart" from the album "A Farewell to Kings")

Jax:

The Winchell Formation-Brownwood spillway locality has been popular for collecting for a number of years because of the numbers of echinoids preserved in the shales. There are other fauna and flora present at this locality, especially echinoderms. In addition to the echinoids (of which there are at least 3 genera and 4 species), there are also well preserved starfish and crinoids present as well as bryozoa, brachiopods and vertebrate teeth. There are also rare Pennsylvanian edrioasteroids present. The edriosteroids are a new genus and species named Parapostibulla murphyi by Collin Sumrall (January 2000 Journal of Paleontology) for yours truly. Until I found the edrioasteroids preserved on a brachiopod, I thought that edrioasteroids became extinct before the end of the Mississippian. It is fascinating that considerable pteridosperms, lycopsid and other plant material can be found interbedded with the normal marine facies that includes the various echinoderms. The black shale preserving the echinoderms represents a nearshore marine channel deposit with frequent influxes of terrigenous material.

It is a fascinating locality but is difficult to access and can be difficult, as well as dangerous, to collect from. The quality and rarity of the material, however can make it worthwhile.

Regards,

Mike

...The edriosteroids are a new genus and species named Parapostibulla murphyi by Collin Sumrall (January 2000 Journal of Paleontology) for yours truly....

Hey Cris, are you taking this down? Nothing spells "site access" like a club full of members with genuine scientific significance on their resume!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

It is a fascinating locality but is difficult to access and can be difficult, as well as dangerous, to collect from. The quality and rarity of the material, however can make it worthwhile.

The urchins are under that layer of limestone that is breaking off in pieces the size of a refrigerator, a small car, etc. You could get squished.

post-534-1216340785_thumb.jpg

The urchins are under that layer of limestone that is breaking off in pieces the size of a refrigerator, a small car, etc. You could get squished.

Yeah, that would leave a mark for sure. Kind of hard to concentrate on fossils when you're hunting under the "stratum of Damocles"; makes one nervous!

Guest solius symbiosus

There is an outcrop around here that has produced geodes with acicular xls of millerite. It has been worked for years, and had a over hang like that from people undermining the outcrop. A guy died a few years ago when the ledge gave way and crushed him.